GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 09:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

GMAT score 600

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT score 600  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 02:10
Hi all!

I scored a 600 (Q47/V25) on my actual GMAT exam. I was scoring between 660 and 690 in my GMAT Mock Tests so the actual score was definitely below my worst score. I am a bit disheartened as my lowest scores for Quant and Verbal were never below 49 and 31 respectively. Can anybody guide me as to after how many weeks should I re-take the exam?
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: GMAT score 600  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 06:31
Mike03 wrote:
Hi all!

I scored a 600 (Q47/V25) on my actual GMAT exam. I was scoring between 660 and 690 in my GMAT Mock Tests so the actual score was definitely below my worst score. I am a bit disheartened as my lowest scores for Quant and Verbal were never below 49 and 31 respectively. Can anybody guide me as to after how many weeks should I re-take the exam?

Hi Mike03,

I'm glad you reached out and I'm happy to help. Before providing advice, it will be helpful to learn some more about you. I have some questions:

1)How many times have you taken the actual GMAT? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken the GMAT, the total scores, the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests.

2) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

3) Please describe how you studied and what materials you used. How many hours a day did you study and for how many months?

4) I know you did not hit your target GMAT score in a previous attempt. Can you pinpoint why? What was missing?

5) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

6) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

7) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

8) Have you ever had accommodations on any test? For example, extra time, a private room, or extra breaks? Do you have any medical diagnoses that could impact your studying or GMAT performance, such as ADHD, generalized anxiety, depression, or learning disabilities?

9) What is your desired GMAT score?

10) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

11) Is there anything else that I should know? Anything else you’d like to tell me?

Once you provide me with some more information, I can provide some more tailored advice.

Thanks!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 23:30
Mike03 wrote:
Hi all!

Hi Mike03,

Welcome to GMATCLUB! You should dedicate around 2 months to improve your score. It's a good thing you have taken your GMAT once. You now know your weaknesses and can work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. I think you should focus on improving your Verbal. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

For verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Please Note, that you should only do GMATCLUB tests once you have covered the base and looking to further enhance your concepts as GMATCLUB tests are a bit more difficult than the actual GMAT.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 00:00
Hi ScottTargetTestPrep,

Please find below my response to your questions.

1)How many times have you taken the actual GMAT? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken the GMAT, the total scores, the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests.
I have taken my actual GMAT only once on 25th June’18. I got a 600 score (Q47,V25, IR5). I was feeling a bit nervous on the exam day and was more in a defensive mode rather than an attacking mode (given the exam was from 9 AM). I was also re-checking my answers for silly mistakes and hence I think I fell short of time.

2) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).
I gave economist test in February before starting my preparation and scored 620 (Q50/V25)
Then closer to my exam, I took 4 GMAT Prep Tests - 1, 2, 3, and 5 (all old format) and scored
660 (Q49/V31/IR6) – 26th May,
640 (Q50/V28/IR5) – 2nd June,
690 (Q50/V33/IR6) – 17th June, and
680 (Q50/V32/IR8) – 20th June respectively.
I took 3 sectional tests too from a different source and for that I got only sectional raw scores (number of correct answers out of total number of questions) –
Q29/V19 –20th May
Q26/V21/IR5 – 29th May
Q26/V27 – 3rd June
I was relaxed on all mock test days. Was tackling questions with a calm attitude. Time was never a pressure as I finished all my sections in time.

3) Please describe how you studied and what materials you used. How many hours a day did you study and for how many months?
I studied from OG and other online sources. I searched for detailed solutions on gmat club.
I started studying on & off from January (mostly grammar concepts). From March, I started solving OG and then from May started my dedicated preparation. I am a working professional so I was able to give 1-2 hours on weekdays but I used to stretch my study timings to >5 hours on weekends.

4) I know you did not hit your target GMAT score in a previous attempt. Can you pinpoint why? What was missing?
I figured out towards the end that I was getting nervous while solving CR & RC questions. Because in my mock tests, I was getting > 80% accuracy in SC but 50% in CR and RC. Also, I think in quant DS killed me in the last mocks and then the final exam. Maths was always my strong point so I didn’t dedicate much time to it as compared to Verbal, which is my weak point. In the last mock tests, I used to get 8 incorrect out of 37, of which 5-6 were from DS.

5) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?
I have 3 years of work experience and I was thinking of applying from Round 1. But after seeing my horrible GMAT score, I am thinking of first concentrating on getting a good 730+ GMAT score and then applying either in Round 2 or next year.

Since I have the momentum, I want to re-take the exam in 1-2 months’ time. But I am planning to take the date only after I will get a consistent 730+ in mocks. I don’t want to take any chances now.

7) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?
On weekdays, I can dedicate maximum 2 hours but I can stretch myself on weekends.

8) Have you ever had accommodations on any test? For example, extra time, a private room, or extra breaks? Do you have any medical diagnoses that could impact your studying or GMAT performance, such as ADHD, generalized anxiety, depression, or learning disabilities?
I took GMAT Prep Test 3 & 4 in a nearby computer centre but rest all the other mock tests I gave in my room. I never timed myself for a 8 minute break. And yes, I have a few ADHD and generalized anxiety symptoms.

I have a good academic background and I have 3 years of work experience in research and finance. Therefore, I am targeting a minimum GMAT score of 730.

10) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.
Not 100%. I was not crossing the 690 mark in mock tests and hence should have learnt from it that I won’t be able to score >730 in my actual GMAT.

11) Is there anything else that I should know? Anything else you’d like to tell me?
I think I have exam fear. Because my without preparation scores were also more than my actual GMAT score.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 14:28
Hi Mike03,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 03:16
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Mike03 wrote:
Hi all!

Hi Mike03,

I'm glad you reached out and I'm happy to help. Before providing advice, it will be helpful to learn some more about you. I have some questions:

Once you provide me with some more information, I can provide some more tailored advice.

Thanks!

Hi ScottTargetTestPrep,

I have taken my actual GMAT only once on 25th June’18. I got a 600 score (Q47,V25, IR5). I was feeling a bit nervous on the exam day and was more in a defensive mode rather than an attacking mode (given the exam was from 9 AM). I was also re-checking my answers for silly mistakes and hence I think I fell short of time.

I gave economist test in February before starting my preparation and scored 620 (Q50/V25)
Then closer to my exam, I took 4 GMAT Prep Tests - 1, 2, 3, and 5 (all old format) and scored
I took 3 sectional tests too from a different source and for that I got only sectional raw scores (number of correct answers out of total number of questions) –
Q29/V19 –20th May
Q26/V21/IR5 – 29th May
Q26/V27 – 3rd June
I was relaxed on all mock test days. Was tackling questions with a calm attitude. Time was never a pressure as I finished all my sections in time.

I studied from OG and other online sources. I searched for detailed solutions on gmat club.
I started studying on & off from January (mostly grammar concepts). From March, I started solving OG and then from May started my dedicated preparation. I am a working professional so I was able to give 1-2 hours on weekdays but I used to stretch my study timings to >5 hours on weekends.

I figured out towards the end that I was getting nervous while solving CR & RC questions. Because in my mock tests, I was getting > 80% accuracy in SC but 50% in CR and RC. Also, I think in quant DS killed me in the last mocks and then the final exam. Maths was always my strong point so I didn’t dedicate much time to it as compared to Verbal, which is my weak point. In the last mock tests, I used to get 8 incorrect out of 37, of which 5-6 were from DS.

I have 3 years of work experience and I was thinking of applying from Round 1. But after seeing my horrible GMAT score, I am thinking of first concentrating on getting a good 730+ GMAT score and then applying either in Round 2 or next year.

Since I have the momentum, I want to re-take the exam in 1-2 months’ time. But I am planning to take the date only after I will get a consistent 730+ in mocks. I don’t want to take any chances now.

On weekdays, I can dedicate maximum 2 hours but I can stretch myself on weekends.

I took GMAT Prep Test 3 & 4 in a nearby computer centre but rest all the other mock tests I gave in my room. I never timed myself for a 8 minute break. And yes, I have a few ADHD and generalized anxiety symptoms.

I have a good academic background and I have 3 years of work experience in research and finance. Therefore, I am targeting a minimum GMAT score of 730.

Not 100%. I was not crossing the 690 mark in mock tests and hence should have learnt from it that I won’t be able to score >730 in my actual GMAT.

I think I have exam fear. Because my without preparation scores were also more than my actual GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 03:19
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Mike03,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Rich

Hi,

Yes, I did that.
2 GMAT Prep Mock Test at home and 2 at a nearby computer center.
My actual exam was from 9 am. I started my mock tests between 10:30-11am.
I neither paused my CATs nor skipped sections. I did take breaks that were more than 8 min long.
No, I have not done that.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 05:24
Mike you need to work on verbal... take e-gmat course for verbal and you will get gmat club tests as well.. give yourself 2 months time and this time target 750 in mocks... good luck.
SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 08:46
Mike03 wrote:
Hi all!

Your Rescheduling of exam depends on the followings circumstances

1. The way you get over your mistakes.
2. Your applying deadlines
3. Your way of preparing and updating your knowledge

It is better to spend 1.5 to 2 months more on your prep with solid strategies if you want to get 700+ Score

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 12:53
Hi Mike03,

From your prior post, there were some 'red flags' in terms of how you took your CATs. Before we discuss those issues though, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT score 600  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 19:10
Mike03 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Mike03 wrote:
Hi all!

Hi Mike03,

Thanks!

Hi ScottTargetTestPrep,

Q29/V19 –20th May
Q26/V21/IR5 – 29th May
Q26/V27 – 3rd June

First off, I LOVE the fact that you are willing to wait to take your exam until you consistently hit a 730+ score on your practice exams. Because, as you probably know, it’s going to take a decent amount of time and further effort to achieve your GMAT score goal.

Based on your previous study routine, it seems as though you bounced around between a number of resources and lacked the consistency you needed to truly master GMAT verbal. Thus, for your retake, you may consider using one comprehensive verbal course that will allow you to truly learn, starting with the foundations of SC, CR, and RC.

However, learning these foundations will only be half the battle. As you learn the nuances of SC, CR, and RC, you must follow up that learning with focused and dedicated practice.

For example, if you are reviewing Critical Reasoning, be sure that you practice a large number questions just from that topic: strengthen and weaken the conclusion, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Once complete, do a thorough analysis of each incorrect question. If you got a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific CR question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? By thoroughly analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to more efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your Critical Reasoning knowledge. You also can follow this process for Reading Comprehension and Sentence Correction questions.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your verbal score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and questions that take you a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to efficiently answer questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker verbal areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your verbal score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, make some more areas stronger.

Accomplishing this end could take doing dozens of questions of one type, then dozens of the next, and so on. When you do dozens of the same type of question one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of the questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to at least around 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently.

The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the verbal materials.

Also, I know your quant is significantly higher than your verbal; however, your quant did drop a few points from your practice exams to the real thing. Thus, you may consider following a similar routine of focused practice for GMAT quant. Once again, you may need some new quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses.

Lastly, I see you mentioned that you have ADHD. A learning disability such as ADHD can have a major negative impact on your score. Although it may take significant effort and potentially a decent amount of money, for the sake of your GMAT score, it may be worth getting tested so that you can apply for accommodations for your upcoming GMAT.

Please reach out with any further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
GMAT score 600 &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jun 2018, 19:10

GMAT score 600

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap