GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Score does not improve...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Score does not improve...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 10:54
Dear all,

I started studying for the GMAT 8 weeks ago and feel comfortable with almost all of the concepts. I already took some MGMAT CAT's but my score isn't improving:

1st April: 590 43Q/29V
7th April: 590 40Q/32V
17th April 590 42Q/31V

In the verbal section I do "well" at SC but have to improve in CR and RC. In the quant section I feel really comfortable with the concepts but sometimes do minor mistakes or am not able to get the way to the solution fast enough. Especially because of the minor mistakes I sometimes miss questions I should easily get right.

Is there anyone who had the same problem or can give me some advice how to improve my score? I have 3 weeks to go until test day and should score 650 min.

Many thanks in advance
Roofer
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Score does not improve...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 11:28
Hi Roofer,

About 2 weeks ago, GMAC made a formal announcement defining some changes that will be taking place to the format of the Official GMAT (beginning April 16, 2018). These changes primarily impact the overall length of the Exam (meaning the number of questions in the Quant and Verbal sections as well as the amount of time that you’ll have to complete each of those two sections). In theory, a shorter Exam could make it easier for a well-prepared Test Taker to score higher. Unfortunately, Official practice CATs in the new 'format' don't exist yet - but once they become available, you should plan to take one (so that we can get a better sense of how you perform under these new conditions).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) Were these 3 practice CATs in the 'old' format?

Goals:
3) What is your exact Test Date? Do you have the flexibility to push it back (even if just a couple of weeks)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 14:10
Hey Rich,

thank you for your quick response.

Studies:
1) I worked through the Manhatten Strategy Guide and Kaplan GMAT Prep Plus 2018. Furthermore i worked through most of the OG2018 Problems and the quant part of Kaplan GMAT 800.
2) The first two test were in the old format, the last one (today) was in the new format.

Goals:
3) My test date is 09.05.2018 and I'm not able to reschedule the exam.
4) The application Deadline is on 31st of May but I am not allowed to hand in the preliminary score report. This is why i'm not able to reschedule my exam date.
5) I'm applying for a german business school in Mannheim.

Many thanks in advance
Roofer
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 16:35
Hi Roofer,

Assuming that you took these CATs in a realistic fashion, then you're closer to a 650+ than you probably realize. Given the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores that you listed, you could pick up all of the missing points that you're looking for in just the Quant section, just the Verbal section or a mix of the two. Thus, for the next 3 weeks, you could potentially focus on a 'subset' of question types (while getting in some general practice in all areas) and hit your Score goal.

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix '). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?
6) Did you have any big 'weak areas' on the Quant or Verbal sections (and if so, then what were they?)?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 10:07
Hey Rich,

thanks for your response. I try to answer your questions as detailed as possible.

Quant part:

Right answers: 16/31
Right in PS: 10/17
Right in DS: 6/14
Right in 500-600: 7/8 - PS: 5/6 DS 2/2 ; the one I got wrong was a stupid mistake
Right in 600-700: 7/14 - PS: 4/8 DS 3/6 ; 2 were too hard, 2 included concepts I didn't remember or wasn't able to recognize, 3 were just stupid mistakes
Right in 700-800: 2/9 - PS: 1/3 DS: 1/6 ; 4 were too hard, 3 were stupid mistakes

I had no time problems and had not to choose randomly because of the time running out. The assessment report tells me that I have weaknesses in Algebra, Word Problems and FDP's.

Verbal Part:

Right answers: 19/36
Right in CR: 4/10
Right in SC: 8/14
Right in RC: 7/12
Right in 300-500: 2/2 - RC: 1/1 CR: 1/1
Right in 500-600: 4/8 - RC: 2/3 (stupid mistake) CR: 1/2 (stupid mistake) SC: 1/3 (didn't knew the concept)
Right in 600-700: 10/18 - RC 2/4 (both too hard) CR: 2/4 (2 stupid mistakes) SC: 6/10 (2 mistakes and 2 concepts I didn't realize)
Right in 700-800: 3/8 - RC 2/4 (too hard) CR: 0/3 (2 too hard, 1 stupid mistake) SC: SC: 1/1

3 of the 600-700 questions I narrowed down to two choices and got one right. I had no time problems and had not to choose randomly because of the time running out. The assessment report tells me that I have weaknesses in CR and RC.

I myself think that the stupid mistakes, especially the ones in CR, only occur because I am not fully concentrated.

I hope that you can give me some advice where to focus on in the next weeks in order to improve my score.

Many thanks in advance
Roofer
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 10:54
Hi Roofer,

When I asked about the questions that you got wrong on this recent CAT, I was NOT asking about the 'implied level' of the questions - I want to know what YOU think about the questions that you got wrong (and specifically WHY you think you got them wrong). For example, at this point, it's not clear whether you should be focusing more on content/concepts (because you don't have the necessary knowledge to pick up the points) or on your 'mechanics' (you have the knowledge, but you're making silly mistakes that are keeping you from correctly answering questions).

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Algebra, RC and CR are all BIG categories on the GMAT (so if you're missing lots of points in those 3 areas, then focusing on those question types over the next 3 weeks would be a good idea). That having been said, that recommendation does not account for YOUR Tactics. If you're not approaching questions in a strategic way, then you might simply continue to make the same mistakes over and over.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
GMAT Score does not improve...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 00:42
Roofer225 wrote:
Dear all,

I started studying for the GMAT 8 weeks ago and feel comfortable with almost all of the concepts. I already took some MGMAT CAT's but my score isn't improving:

1st April: 590 43Q/29V
7th April: 590 40Q/32V
17th April 590 42Q/31V

In the verbal section I do "well" at SC but have to improve in CR and RC. In the quant section I feel really comfortable with the concepts but sometimes do minor mistakes or am not able to get the way to the solution fast enough. Especially because of the minor mistakes I sometimes miss questions I should easily get right.

Is there anyone who had the same problem or can give me some advice how to improve my score? I have 3 weeks to go until test day and should score 650 min.

Many thanks in advance
Roofer

Hi Roofer225,

I believe you need to focus on both Quant and Verbal. For verbal, E-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live are both amazing courses that can really help you improve your scores.

However, given how close your GMAT date is, I personally do not think one should adopt any new method on the final leg of their GMAT Preparation. It may be nice to give a couple of mocks (the official ones) and work on your weaknesses, but trying something new might not work in anyone’s favour. However if you want to improve on any individual area such as Sentence Correction, you may subscribe to the course as you can finish the whole course in 10 days (with proper dedication). If however you are only looking to indentify and improve on your weak areas, I would encourage you to purchase the e-gmat scholaranium. It is without a doubt, one of the best practice tools for verbal and will indeed help you on the final leg of your preparations. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Hope this helps. All the best!

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

GMAT Club Bot
GMAT Score does not improve... &nbs [#permalink] 22 Apr 2018, 00:42

GMAT Score does not improve...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap