Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 00:13 It is currently 02 May 2024, 00:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72969 [0]
Given Kudos: 18902
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: GMAT Score expiring during Application Process [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rj29:

Agree with the previous post. You are not going to find a blanket business school policy about GMAT acceptance when it comes to the precise expiration date. Plus, policies CAN change year to year.

It's imperative you check with every single school on your list (or potentially on your list) so you don't miss the boat. You should also email your questions rather than call simply because you want it in writing.

I'm assuming you have this figured out, but why not apply everywhere Round 1? I realize that's a bit of an undertaking but it's only June and deadlines don't start until around September.

Umbrella point: do your due diligence and take no unnecessary risk.

Good luck,
Admissinoado
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72969 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Score expiring during Application Process [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Here is what I heard from an AdCom person... not as detailed as I was hoping but more positive than I thought :thumbsup:

Quote:
We have made exceptions for individuals where the score expires the week before the deadline But it's definitely school dependent and some may be more strict. I'd definitely recommend checking with schools.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello RJ!

We have handled such cases in past. With some care (and precise communication with adcom), this situation can be comfortably navigated without any serious compromises in the shortlist or the results.

But yes, do submit your application well before your score expires.

All the best!
Experts' Global

rj29 wrote:
Hi, I gave my GMAT in December 2018, and got the final score card on Jan 11th. I am planning to apply for colleges this year but wondering if my GMAT score will be considered valid for Round 2.

If my score is valid when I submitted the application but expires before the round 2 deadline for that school ( since most round 2 deadlines are in January ), is that okay?

Is this school dependent? I couldn't find guidelines regarding this on school websites.

Please help. My score is 760, so I really don't want to have to give it again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
rj29 wrote:
Hi, I gave my GMAT in December 2018, and got the final score card on Jan 11th. I am planning to apply for colleges this year but wondering if my GMAT score will be considered valid for Round 2.

If my score is valid when I submitted the application but expires before the round 2 deadline for that school ( since most round 2 deadlines are in January ), is that okay?

Is this school dependent? I couldn't find guidelines regarding this on school websites.

It varies based on the adcom of schools. You would be right to email the Business schools, better yet, schedule a conversation and bring this up if you see things going well towards the end.

GMAC does allow extension from what I heard in some cases. (Worth looking into- policy may have changed)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 622 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
rj29 wrote:

rj29 you have a great score.

Considering that you already have an excellent GMAT score, my suggestion would be to minimize the risk by avoiding delays in your application and trying to submit it as early as possible (if you can do that). Though you should check with respective schools, you should keep some room for applying to additional programs last minute to hedge your risk.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
rj29 wrote:

Hi rj29,

Schools require the scores to be valid at the time of application submission or at least until the completion of the application review process. The criteria may vary school to school. Therefore, it is necessary to contact each school to check. Many schools should be flexible in your case for R2. Or you can choose schools whose R2 deadlines are safe for you considering your test expiry date. But why not go for R1 and not have to worry about this? Are you trying to strengthen some aspect of your profile?

It would be nice to discuss these things in detail with you. For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1307 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
rj29 wrote:

Consider sending a quick short email that explains your situation with the exact date the score expires. You could create a list of schools that have no issue whatsoever if the score is valid by the round deadline, for example.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hey,

Semi-related to question above - would love any of the experts here to chime in. I am in a similar situation, if I GMAT score expires after the Application Deadline but before the Matriculation Date. I should be good right?

Thanks!
The Red Pen Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
gather44 wrote:
Hey,

Semi-related to question above - would love any of the experts here to chime in. I am in a similar situation, if I GMAT score expires after the Application Deadline but before the Matriculation Date. I should be good right?

Thanks!

­Hey gather44,

You need a valid GMAT score during your application. 

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72969 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gather44 wrote:
Hey,

Thanks!

­Hi. As long as your score is good by the acceptance deadline, it is perfectly fine. ­

If your score expires before the decision, you want to talk to the school. You don't know when they are pulling your score. Some will pull during the application (not at dealine), some right before decisions, and some will pull after acceptance comes out and when you accept the offer. 
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply

gather44 wrote:
Hey,

Thanks!

­
Hello,

So long as your GMAT score is valid at the time of application and by the time the admit decision rolls in, you should be ok; however, it would be best to communciate with the Ad Com about this just to be doubly sure.

Hope this helps.

All the best!­
GMAT Club Bot