Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tutor
Send PM
Re: GMAT Second attempt [#permalink]
Expert Reply
vardhanakshay wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
vardhanakshay wrote:
Hi guys,
I gave my first attempt at GMAT on 22 January 2014. Prior to taking the GMAT I was studying for Common Admission Test (CAT). My study for the GMAT was only limited to the OG 13th Edition, that too I had solved all the quant questions. But in verbal I was only able to complete 100% SC, 60% CR and 5 or 6 RCs. This was majorly because of time constraints and I thought my preparation for CAT would aid me in my GMAT. Coming to the my score -

Verbal - 31/60%
Quant - 44/61%
Total - 620/68%
IR - 5/52%

*I was scoring 560-580 in my mocks.

Post my attempt in January, I had joined Jamboree (in March 2014) for GMAT coaching. I completed their classroom course, but have not been able to complete the study material given by them. Because of all this, work pressure and time constraints, I have not been able to give adequate time and thought to giving a second attempt.

Now, I plan to give a second attempt (with a target of atleast 730), hence I want your suggestion - how should I go about it? What books should I refer? What course, if necessary should I choose?

Thank you.

Your first attempt was 1.5 yrs back and coaching was more than 1 year back. Did you study off and on during this time? If you are kicking off your preparation after a long time, you need to take a full length practice test first. Figure out where you stand right now and that will help you identify the suitable way forward.
Take our free practice test here

Get back with the score and we can give you suitable advice.

Hi Karishma,

I have been studying off and on. But no consistency or plan of action.

Ok, so then it is important for you to see how things are now. Many variables would have changed in the past 1 - 1.5 yrs. You should take the practice test before you start again to know how much prep you need.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi vardhanakshay,

Since your studies (and last Official GMAT) are from over a year ago, we really need to assess your current skills. As such, I highly recommend that you take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). Once you have those scores, you should report back here. Based on what you've described, I would suspect that you would probably score in the high-500s, but we can come up with a plan once you have that score data.

Given your new score goal, I suspect that you'll probably need 2-3 months of consistent study time (and some new resources).

When are you planning to apply to Business School?
Do you know which Schools you're planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Your first attempt was 1.5 yrs back and coaching was more than 1 year back. Did you study off and on during this time? If you are kicking off your preparation after a long time, you need to take a full length practice test first. Figure out where you stand right now and that will help you identify the suitable way forward.

Hi Karishma,

I took the mock test, here are the results. Request you to suggest the way ahead. Thanks !
Attachments

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 12.23.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 12.23.34 AM.png [ 116.62 KiB | Viewed 1412 times ]

Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi vardhanakshay,

Since your studies (and last Official GMAT) are from over a year ago, we really need to assess your current skills. As such, I highly recommend that you take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). Once you have those scores, you should report back here. Based on what you've described, I would suspect that you would probably score in the high-500s, but we can come up with a plan once you have that score data.

Given your new score goal, I suspect that you'll probably need 2-3 months of consistent study time (and some new resources).

When are you planning to apply to Business School?
Do you know which Schools you're planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi,

I took a mock, my score is attached. I am aiming for the following schools -

1. Wharton
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
4. INSEAD
5. NYU

Please suggest the way ahead. Thank you !
Attachments

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 12.23.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 12.23.34 AM.png [ 116.62 KiB | Viewed 1392 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi vardhanakshay,

Given your score goal, and the length of time since you've studied regularly, you have some serious work to do to raise your scores. Using this CAT score for comparison purposes, you're probably going to need at least 2 months of consistent study time to hit your goal.

1) Are you going to have the necessary time to study on a consistent basis for this next attempt?
2) How many hours a week do you think you'll be able to study?

Rich
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
vardhanakshay wrote:

Hi Karishma,

I took the mock test, here are the results. Request you to suggest the way ahead. Thanks !

For a 150 point jump, you need to put in some solid work in both Quant and Verbal. I would suggest you to look at a course or the entire curriculum of a test prep company.

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/
This link gives you the various courses we offer (on demand videos, classroom courses, online courses) and provides you some free prep material to get a feel for how we teach. You might want to introspect on a few issues:
How do you study best? Are you able to understand by reading or do you need someone to explain you? Do you want self help videos that you can pause and rewind when you like or do you want an instructor? Are you well organised? Do you stick to schedules?
Accordingly decide the best course of action.
GMAT Club Bot