Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 01:17 It is currently 21 May 2024, 01:17
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11687 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
GMAT- Strategies for Retaking the Test- Please support [#permalink]
Kudos
Starpeople wrote:
Thanks Rich,

My official break up was 37 in quant and 37 in verbal. The last CAT I took before the actual GMAT, was 710 (it could also have been because of familiarity with questions). Now to your questions:

1) I used MGMAT guides, official guide and the verbal and quant supplements
2) My goal score is 700
3) I would like to retake the GMAT in June.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks much.

Hello Starpeople,

I would recommend to use either Kaplan or Princeton GMAT resources to build up your skills and then move on higher level resources from MGMAT. Below are the list of resources I recommend:

1) MGMAT CR is an excellent resource for CR.
2) PRinceton GMAT Quan. + MGMAT Math textbooks (Start with Princeton and then move on to MGMAT).
3) e-GMAT for SC
4) RC: read daily news from Economist, NY Times, National Geographic as well as online practice from GMAT Club. Read, Read, and Read.

This is a good link to refer to:
470-to-740-reward-of-persistence-and-hardwork-191587.html?gclid=CK_HpajNz8gCFYIIwwodyQgAgQ#p1468404

And the best exam strategy and analysis could be found here:
gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Originally posted by deabas on 26 Mar 2016, 03:13.
Last edited by deabas on 28 Apr 2016, 06:48, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11687 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT- Strategies for Retaking the Test- Please support [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi starpeople,

Prior to this Official GMAT, when was the last time that you took a NEW CAT (that did NOT include questions that you had already seen before)? What was your score on that CAT?

Another 3 months of consistent study time should allow you to define (and fix) any issues that occurred in your prior studies. Since you've not faced the Official GMAT, you should be able to better 'model' your studies after what you'll face on Test Day.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1373 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Starpeople wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I was studying for the GMAT from Oct 2015-December 2015. Wrote the exam in early December- score was 540 (both quant and verbal were equal scores). It was disappointing since I was averaging 650 in the mock tests. Maybe the preparation wasn't relevant and enough for the GMAT exam.

I would now like to give myself 3 months to write the test again. Request inputs on how to structure the preparation towards ensuring an improvement in the score.

Thanks,

Starpeople

Hi Starpeople,

Usually people see a big difference in the mock scores and the GMAT score if:

1. They have not prepared for the GMAT fully. i.e. they have left some fundamentals/concepts that are tested on the test
2. They have not taken enough mock CATs or not taken them realistically.

What were your scaled scores?

You should start a fresh and try to understand the concepts first before jumping onto problem solving
In your preparation so far, how did you study? What material did you follow?

1. Did you take the test including AWA and IR?
2. Did you complete both the sections? (There is a high penalty if you do not complete a section)

Also, I would recommend you to refrain from taking tests until you have gone through all the fundamentals.
You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.
In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

You need close to 3 months to prepare well for the GMAT.

1. Understand the concepts and fundamentals before jumping into problem solving
2. Solve full length CATs including AWA and IR. You can get two free GMAT Prep mock CATs and can purchase two more from mba.com
3. Make sure you solve the official questions from the Official Guide
GMAT Club Bot