GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 21:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

GMAT Verbal issues for native speakers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Verbal issues for native speakers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 22:49
Hi, are any other native speakers facing difficulties acing the Verbal? It's not that I don't understand the questions, rather I get flummoxed by the amount of information I need to process.
I have a decent Quant score of 48, how do I get better at Verbal in 2 weeks?
Cheers.
Orion Director of Academics
S
Re: GMAT Verbal issues for native speakers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 17:09
Hey pineapple123456,

Is it a particular part of the verbal that's tripping you up (critical reasoning, reading comprehension, sentence correction), or is the whole thing? We can do a deeper dive based on that, but in the meantime here are a couple pointers.

1. Sentence correction is going to be more about strategy than you think. Determine what's changing between the answer choices and then eliminate answer choices based on the rules you know. (Is there an underlined verb that changes? Awesome. Eliminate based on subject/verb agreement or verb tense. Is there a pronoun underlined? Check for pronoun agreement.) A lot of people (especially native speakers) lose time because they try to read the whole answer over and over again to look for the one that seems best instead of focusing on concrete reasons to eliminate answer choices.

2. Reading comprehension is killer for a lot of people because they're used to reading for deep understanding and panic when they don't get it in the time allowed. Don't worry about deep understanding. You should be taking ~90 - 120 seconds (if you can) to read the passage. You're looking for only a couple things. A) What's the main idea/purpose? B) A mental map of where major ideas occur. C) A basic understanding of tone. Those three things and some judicious re-reading based on the questions you get is going to be helpful.

3. Critical reasoning is all about breaking down what you're given and having a strategy for each question type. For strengthen and weaken questions, for example, you're looking for the "gap" between the information given and the conclusion. Find that gap and then look for the answer choice that either fixes it for a strengthen question or exploits it for a weaken question. Given what you said, questions with bold face also might trip you up since they have both a fair amount of text in the prompt and the answer choices. For those, it can help to do some 'iterative process of elimination.' What I mean by that is to just look at the first bolded bit and eliminate answers based on what's said about that. Then look at the second and eliminate answers based on what's said about the second. Then if you need to, take one last pass.

As you probably noticed, a lot of these are about test taking skills rather than language skills. Generally issues for native speakers aren't because of lack of knowledge (although lack of knowledge is sometimes a problem). But most of the time it's all about strategy!

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: GMAT Verbal issues for native speakers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 08:08
Hi pineapple123456,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. First off, great work with quant! A Q48 is a really nice quant score. Regarding verbal, before providing specific advice, I’d to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions:

1) Please describe how you have been studying. For many hours a day and for how many months? What resources have you been using?

2) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

3) By when MUST you take the GMAT?

4) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

5) What is your GMAT score goal?

Once I learn a bit more about you, I can provide some detailed advice.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Verbal issues for native speakers &nbs [#permalink] 25 Oct 2018, 08:08

GMAT Verbal issues for native speakers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap