It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 21:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT vs GRE - which way to go?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT vs GRE - which way to go? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 06:24
I am non-engineer Indian Female with the finance background. Have pretty strong CV and GPA=4. I have 6 years of work ex and am planning to pursue my MBA. I have done my MBA already from an eminent B-school in India but I think I did not apply myself back then and need global exposure and network, thus another MBA. I have taken GMAT twice already and scored 490 (Q35, V24) and IR=5 at attempt 1 and 630 (Q47, V30) and IR=3 in attempt 2. After putting in a lot of effort in round 2, I only managed to score 630 which was very demotivating. Quant is my strong point and I was consistently scoring 47-49 in my mock tests (the final score in attempt 2 did not surprise me). Somehow I was unable to tame GMAT Verbal and was swinging between 28 and 37 in my mocks. No consistent patterns. In Verbal, RC is my strong point but I struggle a bit with SC and am completely hopeless in CR. After 2nd attempt, I sat down with a consultant, who suggested me to consider GRE. Considering I am weak in verbal and GRE verbal is harder than that of GMAT, I am unable to make -up my mind on which test should I pursue next. Here are a few questions I am stuck at and would appreciate some expert help:
1. Do B-schools treat GMAT and GRE scores equally? I know most of the schools say they do, but I have my doubts there.
2. Since verbal is my weak point, could I trust GRE Verbal?
3. If I stick to GMAT - how to improve on CR? I have studied CR from Manhattan, clearly, it did not help me.
4. To my surprise, my performance in IR has gone down as well. Poor IR score in my second attempt is also giving me panic attacks.

All these questions are quite baffling and I am swinging between GMAT and GRE. This is not making me lose focus but time as well. Though I was aiming for round 2 applications, I think I have missed the bus for this year. Well, next year is not too far and I have put my seat belt on, all I need to know which direction I need to go.
Look forward to little help here.

Thanks in advance.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Re: GMAT vs GRE - which way to go? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 07:26
For CR power score is a great alternative if you not happy with Manhattan guides. And for quants if you feel like you've run out of resources then Jeff Sackman series is a pretty good set of tough questions. The thing that kind off puts me off about GRE is it's rigidity in terms of the number of mistakes you can make. Though it might seem easy but it's very unforgiving in that aspect.

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 07:27
For CR power score is a great alternative if you not happy with Manhattan guides. And for quants if you feel like you've run out of resources then Jeff Sackman series is a pretty good set of tough questions. The thing that kind off puts me off about GRE is it's rigidity in terms of the number of mistakes you can make. Though it might seem easy but it's very unforgiving in that aspect.

Top Contributor
Senior RC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1606 [0], given: 282

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 10:25
Top Contributor
SB123SB wrote:
I am non-engineer Indian Female with the finance background. Have pretty strong CV and GPA=4. I have 6 years of work ex and am planning to pursue my MBA. I have done my MBA already from an eminent B-school in India but I think I did not apply myself back then and need global exposure and network, thus another MBA. I have taken GMAT twice already and scored 490 (Q35, V24) and IR=5 at attempt 1 and 630 (Q47, V30) and IR=3 in attempt 2. After putting in a lot of effort in round 2, I only managed to score 630 which was very demotivating. Quant is my strong point and I was consistently scoring 47-49 in my mock tests (the final score in attempt 2 did not surprise me). Somehow I was unable to tame GMAT Verbal and was swinging between 28 and 37 in my mocks. No consistent patterns. In Verbal, RC is my strong point but I struggle a bit with SC and am completely hopeless in CR. After 2nd attempt, I sat down with a consultant, who suggested me to consider GRE. Considering I am weak in verbal and GRE verbal is harder than that of GMAT, I am unable to make -up my mind on which test should I pursue next. Here are a few questions I am stuck at and would appreciate some expert help:
1. Do B-schools treat GMAT and GRE scores equally? I know most of the schools say they do, but I have my doubts there.
2. Since verbal is my weak point, could I trust GRE Verbal?
3. If I stick to GMAT - how to improve on CR? I have studied CR from Manhattan, clearly, it did not help me.
4. To my surprise, my performance in IR has gone down as well. Poor IR score in my second attempt is also giving me panic attacks.

All these questions are quite baffling and I am swinging between GMAT and GRE. This is not making me lose focus but time as well. Though I was aiming for round 2 applications, I think I have missed the bus for this year. Well, next year is not too far and I have put my seat belt on, all I need to know which direction I need to go.
Look forward to little help here.

Thanks in advance.

GRE is a different beast altogether though it has many commons with GMAT. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. B-Schools doesn't prefer one over the other unless they state it explicitly.
2. GRE Verbal- Needs some basic knowledge of vocabs. And time per question is also different.
3. CR- Can be improved. But need a solid approach.
4. You need to strategically think for IR. Since you don't need to answer all the questions to get a good score on IR.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1606 [0], given: 282

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 64

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 15:42
Take a practice GRE, and compare your percentile scores to what you got on the GMAT. (It's a good idea to read up on the problem types on the GRE first, so you aren't going into it completely cold.) If you're doing significantly better on the GRE, then go ahead and pursue that. But there's not really a great way to know for sure whether you should switch without doing a practice test.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern

GMAT vs GRE - which way to go? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 09:10
Thanks ccooley. That's a great suggestion. I have already take mock GRE and i scored V147 and Q161 basis my GMAT prep. I bombed my verbal as it was vocab intense. Used GRE to GMAT converter and it showed me 570. I know i can improve my quant score (I took mock very carelessly) but my question is how easy is to improve verbal. I think i need atleast 160+ to be able to apply for the schools i am aiming to. Views?

Gnpth - Thanks so much for your kind response. Great to know that Schools don't discriminate between GMAT and GRE. I know GRE is a beast of another kind, but GMAT CR seems insurmountable to me. :sad:

Animesh mohanty - I have heard a lot about Powerscore, though never tried. thanks for your suggestion. Might go for it. :thumbup:

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 50 [2], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
A friend of mine scored 590 in GMAT and 323 in GRE. When converted, her GRE score is equivalent to 700 on GMAT.

What might have worked for her, is that her Vocab has always been good and GRE banks heavily on it. So, if you also feel that you can develop vocab, GRE might be a good option.

Kudos [?]: 50 [2], given: 19

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 00:50
That is a great suggestion. Thanks sukanyar.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 03:20
You are welcome and good luck to you SB123SB!

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 19

Re: GMAT vs GRE - which way to go?   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2017, 03:20

GMAT vs GRE - which way to go?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap