GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Sep 2019, 18:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Waiver?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Will the waiver look bad?

• 0% [0]
  • 0% [0]
  • 100% [2]
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.93
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT Waiver?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 19:32
UVA, William & Mary, and a select few other schools are no longer requiring an applicant to take the GMAT so long as they meet a minimum GPA.

I would be applying to those universities from a smaller school that is out of state (and more than likely not known by these universities). My undergraduate degree is in accounting and I will graduate right at a 3.95. While I do have extracurriculars and some internship experience, is wise to forgo submitting my gmat and apply the waiver if I'm unconfident in my score? I am in the midst of studying for it but I am unsure whether or not I'd meet their minimum score. Will the waiver look bad?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Waiver?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 15:33
The few recruiters I've talked to for schools told me that it really depends but mostly seemed to dodge the questions? I was wondering this too as I made the GPA requirements. My one coworker made it in to an MBA program without needing to take an exam and didn't even really stop to question needing to take one. However, she had so many years of experience under her belt already. She got in fine and it didn't look bad on her, but she (again) had a ton of years of experience.

For someone like me, 10 months overall accounting ASSISTANT experience and a GPA of 3.55, it might look bad, it might not, it really depends on how they see it. Half the times, they'll just not give you a waiver and you'll just end up taking the test anyways. I suggest studying for the GMAT as a backup plan. I know you might have to apply to get a waiver here and there and during the time it takes to wait for a yes or no, you could have spent that time studying. Just in CASE, they say no, at least you spent the time being productive right? While I'm hoping for a waiver too, I'm not putting my hopes on it.

Sorry I couldn't help too much as I'm mostly wondering the same thing, just my own opinion.
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 20:05
jhgreen wrote:
UVA, William & Mary, and a select few other schools are no longer requiring an applicant to take the GMAT so long as they meet a minimum GPA.

I would be applying to those universities from a smaller school that is out of state (and more than likely not known by these universities). My undergraduate degree is in accounting and I will graduate right at a 3.95. While I do have extracurriculars and some internship experience, is wise to forgo submitting my gmat and apply the waiver if I'm unconfident in my score? I am in the midst of studying for it but I am unsure whether or not I'd meet their minimum score. Will the waiver look bad?

UVA is what? University of Virginia?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 20:10
Yes, the University of Virginia offers a GMAT waiver if a student has a cumulative GPA above 3.5. That is if I'm not mistaken.

RJ7X0DefiningMyX wrote:
jhgreen wrote:

UVA is what? University of Virginia?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 20:14
I've been doing some light GMAT work for the past several weeks but I operate very poorly on standardized tests. Hopefully that can improve as I continue to work, but we'll see. I've been told I'll be "competitive" with the other applicants (IE w/ the Waiver), but there are too many factors that I am trying to determine.

I come from an ACBSP (vs AACSB) school and am trying my hardest to convey to them that I performed well because of my work ethic and attitude. They've seemed receptive of that but I guess I'll only know whenever the application comes through.

3.95 GPA, President/Treasurer of several organizations on campus, Eagle Scout, internships for differing industries. I hope to offer a complete app

TeaclubEst2019 wrote:
The few recruiters I've talked to for schools told me that it really depends but mostly seemed to dodge the questions? I was wondering this too as I made the GPA requirements. My one coworker made it in to an MBA program without needing to take an exam and didn't even really stop to question needing to take one. However, she had so many years of experience under her belt already. She got in fine and it didn't look bad on her, but she (again) had a ton of years of experience.

For someone like me, 10 months overall accounting ASSISTANT experience and a GPA of 3.55, it might look bad, it might not, it really depends on how they see it. Half the times, they'll just not give you a waiver and you'll just end up taking the test anyways. I suggest studying for the GMAT as a backup plan. I know you might have to apply to get a waiver here and there and during the time it takes to wait for a yes or no, you could have spent that time studying. Just in CASE, they say no, at least you spent the time being productive right? While I'm hoping for a waiver too, I'm not putting my hopes on it.

Sorry I couldn't help too much as I'm mostly wondering the same thing, just my own opinion.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Waiver?   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2019, 20:14

GMAT Waiver?

new topic post reply Update application status