GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 13 Jul 2020, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Math question

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Math question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2011, 08:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hi,

Can you please solve this?

"If the coin is tossed 5 times, what is the probability that at least 3 out of 5 times it will show heads?"

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

V
Re: Math question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jan 2011, 09:58
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
Hi,

"If the coin is tossed 5 times, what is the probability that at least 3 out of 5 times it will show heads?"

If a coin is tossed 5 times, at each toss there are 2 possibilities H or T. So there are in all 2^5 = 32 possible outcomes e.g. HHHHH, HHTHH, HTTTH etc

Of these, we want those in which we get at least 3 heads.
So let us try and find the cases where we get 3/4/5 heads.

3 heads - we have to arrange HHHTT in as many different ways as possible e.g. HHTHT, TTHHH etc.
No of ways of arranging 5 letters 3 of which are same and 2 of which are same = 5!/3!2! = 10 ways

4 heads - Arrangements will be HHHHT, HHTHH etc
No of ways of arranging 5 letters 4 of which are same = 5!/4! = 5 ways

5 heads - there is only one such arrangement HHHHH

Hence probability of getting 3/4/5 heads = No of ways of getting 3/4/5 heads/Total no of ways = 16/32 = 1/2

Note: We don't really need to solve when we need 3/4/5 heads because we can have 0/1/2/3/4/5 heads and correspondingly 5/4/3/2/1/0 tails. Since the cases are symmetrical, half of them will have 0/1/2 heads(and 5/4/3 tails) and the other half will have 3/4/5 heads (and 2/1/0 tails)

BTW, I think you need to post PS questions in the Quant - PS forum.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Originally posted by VeritasKarishma on 27 Jan 2011, 08:55.
Last edited by VeritasKarishma on 27 Jan 2011, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Schools: IE- ESCP - Warwick

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2011, 09:09
I am trying to help you but I am far to be a GMAT guru so it would be nice if someone more qualified could verify what I am saying.

How many ways are there to do 3 heads ou of 5? Is this the same to ask you how many words can be done with 3*h and 2*t

5!/2!3!= 5*4*3*2/2*3*2*

10* the number (of the probability to have any of the situation on the 5 shots=1/2^5) 2*2*2*2*2=32

10/32 or 1/16 is it possible?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2011, 09:10
Hi Karishma,

Are you not invalidating the choice of getting more that 3 heads , you are only considering hthth, why not hhhht and hhhhh that is 4 heads and 5 heads.

I feel answer should be 1/2

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Hi,

If a coin is tossed 5 times, at each toss there are 2 possibilities H or T. So there are in all 2^5 = 32 possible outcomes e.g. HHHHH, HHTHH, HTTTH etc

Of these, we want those in which we get 3 heads.
i.e. we have to arrange HHHTT in as many different ways as possible e.g. HHTHT, TTHHH etc.
No of ways of arranging 5 letters 3 of which are same and 2 of which are same = 5!/3!2! = 10 ways

Hence probability of getting 3 heads = No of ways of getting 3 heads/Total no of ways = 10/32 = 5/16

BTW, I think you need to post PS questions in the Quant - PS forum.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2011, 09:15
Suddenly your feeling makes me feel the same, I remember a section in the veritas prep books, to be careful with coins as the chance to have: H-h-t-t-t is actually the same as to have t-t-t-h-h...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2011, 09:17
However I believe an Veritas GMAT instructor knows what he says :-)
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2011, 09:51
Duke007 wrote:

Sorry, the GMAT instructor did not read the question properly... skipped 'at least'... that should be a lesson!!!
I will edit the solution given above..

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2011, 11:34
Duke007 wrote:

Sorry, the GMAT instructor did not read the question properly... skipped 'at least'... that should be a lesson!!!
I will edit the solution given above..

Thanks for the solution.

But can you explain the post script note again? I don't understand it.
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2011, 18:16
But can you explain the post script note again? I don't understand it.

Sure.
When you toss a coin 5 times, possibilities range from HHHHH, HHHHT, HHHTH...... TTTTT.
The number of heads can be 0/1/2/3/4/5.

In these 32 arrangements, each arrangement will have either 3/4/5 Heads or 3/4/5 Tails (When there are 0/1/2 heads, the number of tails will be 5/4/3 respectively).
Since Heads and Tails are equal in status i.e. their probability of appearing is the same, whatever is the probability of 3/4/5 heads, same will be the probability of 3/4/5 tails. Together they account for probability 1 since every arrangement will have either 3/4/5 heads or 3/4/5 tails. So probability of each will be 1/2.

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2011, 23:23

Sure.
When you toss a coin 5 times, possibilities range from HHHHH, HHHHT, HHHTH...... TTTTT.
The number of heads can be 0/1/2/3/4/5.

In these 32 arrangements, each arrangement will have either 3/4/5 Heads or 3/4/5 Tails (When there are 0/1/2 heads, the number of tails will be 5/4/3 respectively).
Since Heads and Tails are equal in status i.e. their probability of appearing is the same, whatever is the probability of 3/4/5 heads, same will be the probability of 3/4/5 tails. Together they account for probability 1 since every arrangement will have either 3/4/5 heads or 3/4/5 tails. So probability of each will be 1/2.

Ah. I see. So essentially, what you're saying is, just by looking at the problem and doing some shrewd analysis, the solution is quite straightforward.

Thanks. This is a great approach.
WE 1: Business Development
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2011, 11:44
Karishma- u have a skill of teaching... thanks. +1 again.

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Math question   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2011, 11:44

Math question

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics