GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

GMATprep 700-750 test day 650 ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMATprep 700-750 test day 650 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 23:20
I took 1 month course of both V and Q.
Studied for 2 months.
I did all 6 GMATpreps and scored:
750 - Q49 V44

Real test:
650 - Q44 V35

I was shocked, felt good during the test. I asked the lady in charge to check that it's really my score...

Spent the rest of the day staring at the wall.

I ordered the ESR hoping I will get a clue to what happened....

My daily routine is:
10 SC from OG
20 Q from OG or my Gmat course
2 RC from GmatClub forum

I usually dont get CR wrong so I dont train it daily (I did do all the CR on OG)

Does this stuff happen??
Should I just take another gmat in two weeks??
I'm not the 'anxiety' type (got very high SAT on first try and finished an engineering degree in a very serious school)

Appreciate any help.
Thank you very much

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMATprep 700-750 test day 650 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 11:32
Hi gilpali,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) On what dates did you take each of your CATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Beyond those questions, I'd also like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 16:37
Rushing to take the test again isn’t a good idea. Study the ESR once you get it (post it here and a lot of people will probably help you), strengthen the areas you were weak in, and only then should you try again.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 01:54
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gilpali,

When you took your CATs:
1) On what dates did you take each of your CATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
Q between 47-50 / V started around 35 scored 44 at the last two.
I took them every week one on Saturday and one on Sunday
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
didn't do the IR and AWA during simulation (but i did them at the end of the real test and they weren't a problem)
3) Did you take them at home?
yes at home
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
around the same time... the real test was two hours earlier than the average simulation hour
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
nope
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?
I took the 1st and 2nd twice but the scores i wrote down were that of the first time

Beyond those questions, I'd also like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
700+
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
this march
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
LBS and INSEAD

Rich

thanks you for your reply!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 01:56
HarmonicFury wrote:
Rushing to take the test again isn’t a good idea. Study the ESR once you get it (post it here and a lot of people will probably help you), strengthen the areas you were weak in, and only then should you try again.

will do the moment i get it.
thanks
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 04:31
MY ESR
Attachments

GIL.pdf [494.88 KiB]
Downloaded 34 times

To download please login or register as a user

Intern
Intern
B
GMATprep 700-750 test day 650 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 08:26
gilpali wrote:
MY ESR

So I went through it and some things stand out.

1) Your Critical Reasoning performance is very good -- this is probably one of the harder sections to improve on, so that's good.
2) Your Sentence Correction performance was weak -- this is also "good" because sentence correction is probably the easiest question type to master.
3) In Quant, it doesn't look like there's any content type that stands out as weak for you -- you did about the same across the major question types (though you have a strength in ratio/rates/percent)

My advice? Grab a good book on Sentence Correction -- either Manhattan or PowerScore -- and work through it diligently. In Quant, I would recommend review of all major topics; for that, I think you should pick up the Manhattan Prep guides and work through those, too, as I think content review will help you given your performance.

Working through these properly will take some time, so don't rush to retake. Give yourself at least a month, preferably two, to go through those materials before taking another crack at the test.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Duke '21 (I)
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 08:33
Wow, you got the exact same score as I did 650 (Q44/V35/IR5), and I took the exam less than two weeks ago. That's really strange.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 10:18
HarmonicFury wrote:
gilpali wrote:
MY ESR

So I went through it and some things stand out.

1) Your Critical Reasoning performance is very good -- this is probably one of the harder sections to improve on, so that's good.
2) Your Sentence Correction performance was weak -- this is also "good" because sentence correction is probably the easiest question type to master.
3) In Quant, it doesn't look like there's any content type that stands out as weak for you -- you did about the same across the major question types (though you have a strength in ratio/rates/percent)

My advice? Grab a good book on Sentence Correction -- either Manhattan or PowerScore -- and work through it diligently. In Quant, I would recommend review of all major topics; for that, I think you should pick up the Manhattan Prep guides and work through those, too, as I think content review will help you given your performance.

Working through these properly will take some time, so don't rush to retake. Give yourself at least a month, preferably two, to go through those materials before taking another crack at the test.

thank you very much!
it was a very weird test for me... in every simulation I scored 47-50 in Q
and I considered myself good in SC... (also, last two simulation V 44)

given what you said, maybe I got overconfident in SC?
and I think I rushed the Q (excitement I guess...) and got some stupid mistakes at the very beginning, could that account for the low grade?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 19:22
Hi gilpali,

I've sent you a PM with some additional questions.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 12:48
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gilpali,

I've sent you a PM with some additional questions.

Rich

answered your PM friend (:
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 18:34
Hi gilpali,

I’m sorry to hear how things went on test day. The short answer to your question is YES, many students see score drops from practice tests to the real GMAT. There are a variety of possible causes of a score drop, but the most likely reason for the difference between your scores on practice tests and your score on the real GMAT is that in your preparation, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. So, to hit your GMAT score goal, you probably have to adjust the way that you’ve been preparing.

If you’d like further advice on how to craft your study plan, feel free to reach out, and I’ll be happy to help. Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMATprep 700-750 test day 650 ? &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jan 2019, 18:34

GMATprep 700-750 test day 650 ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap