It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 04:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATPrep Accuracy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 19

GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMATPrep Accuracy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 10:55
Hi everyone,

I know that GMATPrep is considered the best indicator of one's abilities in both Quant and Verbal and that the real GMAT score usually is within a +- 30 points range of a GMATPrep under realistic conditions. I also read a lot about the GMAT algorithm and how it is a pretty accurate measure (can hardly be tricked etc).

Anyway, I took a few GMATPreps and can not explain a recent variation in my Verbal score.
Therefore my question: Is it possible to have a Verbal score 10 Points higher than before just because of luck in getting the right questions and maybe get a few 50:50s more correct than usually?

GMATPrep (free one) - Oct 12 - 640 Q48 V31 (CR30, RC 28, SC 34)
GMATPrep 1 (EP1/1) - Oct 20 - 640 Q47 V31 (CR 40, RC 25, SC 31)
GMATPrep 2 (EP1/2) - Oct 27 - 730 Q49 V41 (CR 38, RC 41, SC 42)

On Oct 20 I ran out of time in the middle, became nervous and guessed a bit (Questions 29, 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38 wrong). However, I dont think a better time management can explain V31 to V41, even though in the time between these two I did around 40 verbal questions a day.

I've been studying for 2,5 months now starting at V20 (non-native, no idea of question types) and I've worked a lot, but I can not believe that V41 is an accurate measure of my verbal skills. What do you guys think? Is it possible to get a score way above one's abilities? Btw: I did not pause the exam and I also didnt know more questions beforehand than I did in the previous CAT (namely 1 in both exams, should have looked at the tags lol).

Many thanks in advance

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 266 [1], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: GMATPrep Accuracy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2017, 21:33
This post received
KUDOS
jajanb wrote:
Hi everyone,

I know that GMATPrep is considered the best indicator of one's abilities in both Quant and Verbal and that the real GMAT score usually is within a +- 30 points range of a GMATPrep under realistic conditions. I also read a lot about the GMAT algorithm and how it is a pretty accurate measure (can hardly be tricked etc).

Anyway, I took a few GMATPreps and can not explain a recent variation in my Verbal score.
Therefore my question: Is it possible to have a Verbal score 10 Points higher than before just because of luck in getting the right questions and maybe get a few 50:50s more correct than usually?

On Oct 20 I ran out of time in the middle, became nervous and guessed a bit (Questions 29, 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38 wrong). However, I dont think a better time management can explain V31 to V41, even though in the time between these two I did around 40 verbal questions a day.

I've been studying for 2,5 months now starting at V20 (non-native, no idea of question types) and I've worked a lot, but I can not believe that V41 is an accurate measure of my verbal skills. What do you guys think? Is it possible to get a score way above one's abilities? Btw: I did not pause the exam and I also didnt know more questions beforehand than I did in the previous CAT (namely 1 in both exams, should have looked at the tags lol).

Many thanks in advance
The GMATPrep, like the GMAT, is a tool that provides reasonably reliable estimates of a test taker's ability. The results that you get can vary for a number of reasons. For example:

1. You might be getting better at concepts or testing or both.

2. The conditions under which the tests were taken were different.

3. Your concentration levels were different.

4. You faced a subject area that you are not (or are very) familiar with.

Scores can and also vary because of normal measurement error. The important thing to remember here is that you cannot "luck" into a 41 on verbal if the questions were "fresh". What that means is that you are capable of a great score. However, what you really need to do is bring your average up. That'll give you a lot more confidence.

Kudos [?]: 266 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 09:16
AjiteshArun wrote:
jajanb wrote:
Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance
The GMATPrep, like the GMAT, is a tool that provides reasonably reliable estimates of a test taker's ability. The results that you get can vary for a number of reasons. For example:

1. You might be getting better at concepts or testing or both.

2. The conditions under which the tests were taken were different.

3. Your concentration levels were different.

4. You faced a subject area that you are not (or are very) familiar with.

Scores can and also vary because of normal measurement error. The important thing to remember here is that you cannot "luck" into a 41 on verbal if the questions were "fresh". What that means is that you are capable of a great score. However, what you really need to do is bring your average up. That'll give you a lot more confidence.

Thanks for your reply!

As test day is tomorrow I'll see if my V41 was just a very lucky one or if I actually improved a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 10:54
jajanb wrote:
Thanks for your reply!

As test day is tomorrow I'll see if my V41 was just a very lucky one or if I actually improved a bit.
All the best!

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 6

Re: GMATPrep Accuracy   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2017, 10:54

GMATPrep Accuracy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap