Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:57 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1423 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
GMATPrep Verbal Score [#permalink]
shadowfax1 wrote:
Thank you. I have been following the gmat club posts and it has been really helpful. I have my exam on the 19th. Hoping to improve a little on the math score.

Just to piggyback what BB said, there is absolutely more leeway with Quant than Verbal. I'd wager it has to do with percentiles as once you get into the 90% on quant the margin for error also starts to shrink considerably. While the scale score may be super close, I think the percentiles is a better way to look at how much room for error you have, in the Q40-47ish you're only in that 60 percentile range whereas you're pushing 99th percentile verbal so it's better to compare those rather than to compare the 1-51 score.

For example I got a Q47 and V45 and I'd say it wouldn't be far fetched to think that I missed 12-15 math problems (as long as you ace sub 700 you should be in the 40s) and very possibly could've missed only 2 verbal 700lvl problems (or maybe even just one 500-600 lvl).

I have a retake coming up (atrocious IR score) and am also focusing heavily on quant, best of luck to the both of us!

P.S. "shadowfax" as in Lord of the Rings? I'm all about it.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMATPrep Verbal Score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thank you for commenting @redfield, so I take it adcom confirmed that you actually need to retake? Is that the verdict?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum App
Intern
Intern
Send PM
redfield wrote:
shadowfax1 wrote:
Thank you. I have been following the gmat club posts and it has been really helpful. I have my exam on the 19th. Hoping to improve a little on the math score.

Just to piggyback what BB said, there is absolutely more leeway with Quant than Verbal. I'd wager it has to do with percentiles as once you get into the 90% on quant the margin for error also starts to shrink considerably. While the scale score may be super close, I think the percentiles is a better way to look at how much room for error you have, in the Q40-47ish you're only in that 60 percentile range whereas you're pushing 99th percentile verbal so it's better to compare those rather than to compare the 1-51 score.

For example I got a Q47 and V45 and I'd say it wouldn't be far fetched to think that I missed 12-15 math problems (as long as you ace sub 700 you should be in the 40s) and very possibly could've missed only 2 verbal 700lvl problems (or maybe even just one 500-600 lvl).

I have a retake coming up (atrocious IR score) and am also focusing heavily on quant, best of luck to the both of us!

P.S. "shadowfax" as in Lord of the Rings? I'm all about it.

Shadowfax as in Lord of the Rings indeed!

Thanks for the detailed comment. I think that for Verbal, I can may be get one more point. I reviewed my answers and I def made a mistake in one of them. It's quant that I am struggling with. I have given 5 Kaplan and 2 Gmat Prep exams and my Quant score has been 47-49. I realized that I am making a lot of silly mistakes and I start assessing the question quality towards the end to guess my quant score. I will probably buy EP2, and try not to repeat those mistakes. Good Luck to you, however your score is already very good, but 45 in Verbal, that's incredible.
GMAT Club Bot