Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
My goal is consistent through all my essays, since my goal really is my true goal and not a fabrication. I don't think I have a single paragraph exactly the same between any two schools but definitely have the same theme.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Re: Goals Essays: How much reuse are you doing? [#permalink]
mNeo, are you serious? Why would you want to highlight that you are male-Indian-IT :-)

mNeo wrote:
For example, if I feel that for a particular school, I haven't been able to "highlight" that I am a male-Indian-IT, then I may look at fitting that information somewhere in my other essays. But I would not twist my goals essay for this.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
No, I am not serious. That was just my way of laughing at my tough luck :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, Haas and UCLA Leadership essays are pretty much the same too, except UCLA asks "how does this show your managerial potential", which I'll answer specifically.

Glad to hear. That means I'm pretty much done with UCLA then! ;)

Stanford I'll use the same themes, but other than the goals essay, the others will be a copy and paste of the outline, but a rewrite from scratch.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fortunately, my favourite schools are quite similar, because I chose them according to the main career goal. Thus I'm going to rewrite only parts regarding the Why this school, because each of them can add a different element into the whole goal image and going to make a bit different accents in the career progress to make the better fit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've been able to keep the same basic outline and points but I've had to rewrite the goals essay 3 times (Tuck 500 words, Wharton 1000 words, Kellogg approx. 700-800 words) but at least I can reuse large chunks of the Tuck essay for LBS.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My first essay was the U-Chic goals essay (1500 words). I am basically re-using this is all other apps.......for example for Stan I use the same essay - remove an anecdote an spin it off into another essay and then change the "I love freezing my butt off in the winters "U-chic part to reflect how "I am a pot smoking hippie" Stan part.

The problem I have is what do I do for MIT - they dont have a goals essay - instead they want a letter. Now that i am an essay writing mode, I really doubt if I can write a letter ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah, I am SO glad I'm applying to schools with very similar essays...

Stanford, Haas, UCLA and Kellogg all have goals essays that range from 800-1000 words.

Haas, UCLA, and Kellogg all have leadership essays, even though the question is slightly different. They're also all roughly 400-500 words.

UCLA and Stanford have very personal essays, both roughly 2-3 pages, though I'm not sure if I'm going to use the theme in the UCLA family essay as "what matters most" yet.

UCLA, Haas, Kellogg all have places I can put my community service essay (optional for first two, "I wish adcom had asked me..." in Kellogg)

Stanford Essay C allows me to use my Berkeley leadership and extracurricular essay with a different spin, and with 400 words, I can write that out pretty easily now.

So yeah... that's how I'm going to reuse my essays.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm surprised Rhyme didn't chime in here, but I will act as his self-appointed minion:

Be careful with recycling. I have to say that I recycle a TON, but I'm a strong writer who knows how to put on a good spin. I've heard that lots of students try to recycle and get into lots of trouble. Rhyme went so far as to say that anyone who got into schools and recycled is just lucky. He read a lot of applications last year, and saw lots of recycling gone awry.

From my side, the goals section lends itself more to recycling than other essays. I've heard of students not quite bothering to answer the question because they simply stuck another essay in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
I'm surprised Rhyme didn't chime in here, but I will act as his self-appointed minion:

Be careful with recycling. I have to say that I recycle a TON, but I'm a strong writer who knows how to put on a good spin. I've heard that lots of students try to recycle and get into lots of trouble. Rhyme went so far as to say that anyone who got into schools and recycled is just lucky. He read a lot of applications last year, and saw lots of recycling gone awry.

From my side, the goals section lends itself more to recycling than other essays. I've heard of students not quite bothering to answer the question because they simply stuck another essay in.

I agree, to highlight both Tuck and Wharton ask for a leadership essay...describe a time when you exhibited leadership skills blah blah but the focus of each essay is slightly different. Tuck asks for what you learned, and Wharton really asks you to highlight your leadership skills. For the goals essay I've managed to recycle 1-2 paragraphs (with edits) between Kellogg and Wharton because the prompts are very similar and that's the part where i discuss career progression et al. but I've had to rewrite the rest of the essay (and write a brand new essay for Tuck) based on slight variations in the prompts. My two cents...copy paste to get the ideas down and then rewrite the paragraphs to make sure that the question is properly answered.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the good points! Yes, blindly copy and pasting will get you in trouble. Always make sure that the question is answered.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just to add another data point: I did copy some ideas or stories, but it was really tough to find 2 questions from different applications that would have the exact same answer AND the same word count limit, so I could not do much "literal" recycling.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Even if the general question is the same between two schools, the wording and the specifics they are looking for are slightly different for every school. Schools most likely have a really good idea of what their competitors ask so copying is a risky proposition. It could be very obvious if you reuse the whole portion from another school. Its not worth the risk to save a few hours of work considering how much you end up putting into an application.

Reading your essays for other schools right before and during the writing of another essay seems to work pretty well with getting the creative juices flowing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, actually, the three schools I'm applying to have very similar questions, especially Haas and UCLA. I think I'll be reusing sentences here and there, and also answer the question specifically. The only exception is the UCLA and Haas optional essay. Since there is no questions asked, the essays can be identical. :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]