Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 03:10 It is currently 02 May 2024, 03:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72969 [0]
Given Kudos: 18902
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1307 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5141 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Good, but not the score I expected... should I retake? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi marcoplebs.

I think you should retake. You could have a good test as you did when you scored 780 on that practice test.

Also, you could continue to practice Verbal for a week or two using the streaks method and become even more consistent in Verbal, and you could even do streaks method practice of some weaker Quant topics and get even more Quant questions correct.

This post discusses how to use the streaks method. The Best GMAT Practice Methods

Also, before you retake you could do some visualization. You could visualize yourself scoring 770, then visualize yourself scoring 780, then 790, and then 800.

Also, you could visualize test day, going to the test center, and taking the test as a form of exposure therapy. Keep visualizing that experience until it no longer makes you anxious.

Finally, you could keep taking practice tests. You could retake official tests 1 and 2 and also take some third party practice tests to get to a point such that taking the GMAT feels totally natural to you.

And by the way, the fact that you already have a 730 in your pocket will help you to feel less anxious.

So, if you take those steps, and even if you don't, I think you'll score significantly higher next time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good, but not the score I expected... should I retake? [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Congratulations on your score!

Your practice scores look like you have potential to do better. There’s always the question of is it worth getting a higher score and sometimes it may be. Sometimes schools are willing to provide scholarships to candidates with higher scores so if you feel you can get another 20 or maybe 30 points to get to 99th percentile that would be a pretty awesome achievement plus would have benefits of scoring perhaps a scholarship in age top 20 school.

We’re these gmat prep tests?

On the other hand, almost everyone who walks out of the test center feels they could have done better. People tend to overestimate how much they can improve by merely tweaking small things such as not being too nervous or other elements.

I would encourage you to do a little bit more of refresh but not wait more than 15 days to retake. 30 days max. Because you do you have a chance to improve your score but also you can lose it and score less.

Finally, since it does not seem like you are a Southeast Asian male engineer, it looks like the score is good enough for admissions so in the grand scheme of things you probably don’t have to retake. The score is well on par with average GMAT scores at all of the top schools but my guess nobody likes to be average 😂 and since there’s nothing you can do right now for applications anyway so you might as well give it another shot and maybe get another 20 or 40 points 👍

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you bb, and congrats for the excellent reference point, which is GMAT club.

In response to your question: yes, those were the 6 official GMAT practice tests. And yes, I'm from Italy, military pilot background (I didn't feel so nervous before taking off :lol: )

Thank you Marty also, I'll follow all your tips and GmatTutorKnight's
Own Kudos [?]: 22119 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Good, but not the score I expected... should I retake? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi marcoplebs,

Congrats on a graet score! Honestly, you have nothing to lose by retaking, so if you are motivated to give the GMAT one more shot, I say go for it! In any case, let us know what you end up deciding to do.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Scott,
You've been the voice of my life for the last 5 months :lol: Congrats on your course :thumbsup:
I'll retake GMAT ASAP, cause I'm little scared of losing some knowledge. I think I'll do very light exercise on Verbal in the meanwhile, using the OG official bank and the streak method as Marty suggested, and I'll reset one or both practice tests n.1-2 to keep rust off Quant also. If you have other ideas they're well appreciated!

I'll keep you posted
Own Kudos [?]: 22119 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
marcoplebs wrote:
Hey Scott,
You've been the voice of my life for the last 5 months :lol: Congrats on your course :thumbsup:
I'll retake GMAT ASAP, cause I'm little scared of losing some knowledge. I think I'll do very light exercise on Verbal in the meanwhile, using the OG official bank and the streak method as Marty suggested, and I'll reset one or both practice tests n.1-2 to keep rust off Quant also. If you have other ideas they're well appreciated!

I'll keep you posted

Please do! I'm here if you need me.
GMAT Club Bot