It is currently 16 Aug 2017, 18:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Good resource for explaining what HBS looks for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 50

Good resource for explaining what HBS looks for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 08:14
Apart from the website, are there any other resources which break down the 3 things HBS looks for in much greater detail as well as any other resource that simplifies each one?

I am of course talking about 1) Habit of Leadership 2) Analytical aptitude and Appetite 3) Engaged community citizenship.

I would be interested to see people list an example(s) that they feel meets the criterion for each one.

What must one do to meet each criterion thoroughly? Either at work, outside work and during your university years.

Intern
Intern

Re: Good resource for explaining what HBS looks for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 08:38
This is MY understanding of it, to go in line with where i'm currently at (i.e. what i've done still in university and what I plan to do), have I got it wrong? I've highlighted key words in bold.

1) Habit of Leadership
Leadership may be expressed in many forms, from college extracurricular activities to academic or business achievements, from personal accomplishments to community commitments. We appreciate leadership on any scale, from organizing a classroom to directing a combat squad, from running an independent business to spearheading initiatives at work. In essence, we are looking for evidence of your potential.

Examples: Founding a society whilst at college, Elected course representative, Team project at work/university where you led the team, Volunteering as a tutor for underpriveliged/orphaned children, Entrepreneurship activities (Founding a unique startup)

Not quite sure what they men by spearheading initiaives at work, hopefully someone can clarify. Hopefully someone can also point out any other instances I may have missed out which displays leadership. Also the word HABIT, what length of service or instances would display this?

2) Analytical Aptitude and Appetite
Harvard Business School is a demanding, fast-paced, and highly-verbal environment. We look for individuals who enjoy lively discussion and debate. Our case and field-based methods of learning depend upon the active participation of prepared students who can assess, analyze, and act upon complex information within often-ambiguous contexts. The MBA Admissions Board will review your prior academic performance, the results of the GMAT or GRE, and, if applicable, TOEFL iBT and/or IELTS, and the nature of your work experience. There is no particular previous course of study required to apply; you must, however, demonstrate the ability to master analytical and quantitative concepts.

Examples: Active participation in a debating society, Strong verbal GMAT score, Lots of public speaking and presentations preferably in front of large crowds, Consulting roles which involve presentations to clients, Philosophy

What can one do to display this? Academically if you're not doing a Liberal arts degree for instance but something more vocational, would a Philosophy MOOC help show analytical and critical ability? Is an Accounting and Finance degree for instance enough to meet this criteria?

3) Engaged Community Citizenship
So much of our MBA experience - including the case method, section life, and student-organized events - requires the active collaboration of the entire HBS community. That's why we look for students who exhibit the highest ethical standards and respect for others, and can make positive contributions to the MBA Program. The right candidates must be eager to share their experiences, support their colleagues, and teach as well as learn from their peers.

We want applicants who have these traits, as well as bring a variety of skills, accomplishments and aspirations. In each class, we create a dynamic environment that mirrors the breadth and depth of our world economy. Our promise to our faculty and to every student here is to create a class of 900 students who come from as many different backgrounds and perspectives as possible

Examples: ???

Completely lost on this one, how does one demonstrate this, any ideas?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 09:04
Another question i'd ask is which one of these 3 would an active online presence fall under? By an online presence I obviously mean a positive one which is analytical and as garnered lots of followers/readers.

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 12:18
What kind of online presence? Blog of some sort?

Taking initiative at work is starting an organization, changing the way something is done, redesigning a process, leading a recruiting team, creating a mentorship program or speakers series where senior leaders engage with junior resources.

Accounting and finance are certainly great to have. To demonstrate analytical experience, what have you done at work or outside that required analysis, critical thinking, modeling/projecting, analyzing research etc?

If you have other questions about positioning yourself well, send me a note scott@personalmbacoach.com or visit my site www.personalmbacoach.com to read more about how I can help.

Good luck!

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Good resource for explaining what HBS looks for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 13:18
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
What kind of online presence? Blog of some sort?

Taking initiative at work is starting an organization, changing the way something is done, redesigning a process, leading a recruiting team, creating a mentorship program or speakers series where senior leaders engage with junior resources.

Accounting and finance are certainly great to have. To demonstrate analytical experience, what have you done at work or outside that required analysis, critical thinking, modeling/projecting, analyzing research etc?

If you have other questions about positioning yourself well, send me a note scott@personalmbacoach.com or visit my site http://www.personalmbacoach.com to read more about how I can help.

Good luck!

Yes a blog, but mores focusing on key events/moments with an opinion, updated regularly. But It can also be for career advice to African students (where I hail from).

That's much clearer now, thanks. In terms of Engaged Community Citizenship, what exactly are they looking for here, and how would they go about assessing this objectively?

Also, are the examples I gave pretty much what they mean when they say "Habit of Leadership" and "Analytical aptitude"

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 130 [1] , given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2015, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yes your examples are pretty good. In terms of how they assess, they look at the impact of what you have done. So how involved are you in a particular activity and what happened because of your work? What is your role and how did (fill in the blank) change because of your work?

The applicant who can answer those questions well has been engaged with the community.

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 130 [1] , given: 3

Re: Good resource for explaining what HBS looks for   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2015, 08:38