It is currently 25 Nov 2017, 03:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

got 4.0 in AWA, 730 in GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: harvard, columbia, wharton
got 4.0 in AWA, 730 in GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2009, 14:35
I got my AWA score today - I got 4.0 (21%). I can not believe it. I know I am no writing wizard, but 4.0, a 21%, does not look too good.

I know that in my case, when i did the first question (which was analysis of an argument), I did not explicitly click "next" once finished. When it ran out of 30 min time for the question, it automatically popped out of that screen, with a pop-up saying something like - your time for the question has expired. I am wondering if that means it did not record the answer that was typed on the screen. Does anyone know?
The second question, which was analysis of an issue, went ok.

I probably was not expecting a 6 in awa but a 4 with 21% sounds terrible.

What is your opinion about a AWA score of 4? Are adcoms going to judge my admin essays against my AWA score..

I had got 730 (v40, q49) a few days ago in actual GMAT (my first time). I had prepared off and on for about 30 days - average time per day will probably turn out to be 1 hr per day. I did not follow any specific strategy for GMAT(in retrospect I should have), as I have always performed well in standardized tests. I actually came to know about sites like this for GMAT discussions only a day or two before the gmat and therefore did not have much consultation from these sites. I have a full-time job, so I prepared in whatever spare time I got.
I was getting 750-760 range in GMATPrep before the actual test. In the actual test, I ran out of time in both quant and verbal. I guessed in the last 3-4 questions in each section totally randomly. In the middle of quant I got this totally crazy quant question (and I am an comp sci engineer), that drained 5 minutes of my time, and I still did not get it. From what I remember of the question, I am still not sure about answer to it. I know it sounds weird considering I am an engineer. The last question in quant that I fully read (but totally randomly guessed0 was 35th out of a total 37 and the questin looked doable if I had 20-30 secs for it. It is just that I was 20 secs shy of the end of section, so I did not have any second to think about the answer. I guessed last 3 in quant randomly.
In verbal, the same story. Somewhere in one of the SC, i got somehow engrossed in solving the question correctly (cuz I thought I could) and let 3-4 mins fly by. Result - I ended up guessing last 4 questions in verbal randomly.

Anyway, I think I could have gotten much better score if I were slightly more conscious of time, and had not made "pride" in getting the right answer an issue in solving a question.

I was initially (when i did not have my awa score) thinking that I should retake gmat.. but everybody on this forum said, even a 780 will not be worth the retake. Now I have AWA score of 4 (21%) - does that change anything?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
Re: got 4.0 in AWA, 730 in GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2009, 18:31
Hey work, 730 is an outstanding score. If it were me, I wouldn't worry too much about the 4.0 - I think the only thing it means is you should take a little extra care with your application essays. From what I understand, the AdCom just checks AWA essays to make sure the style matches. AWA is so subjective anyway. Pat yourself on the back for the great Q and V, and move on!

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: got 4.0 in AWA, 730 in GMAT   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2009, 18:31

got 4.0 in AWA, 730 in GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap