Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2828 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations!! Such a great score....:flower

Please tell how did you prepare for Q50?
My current status is Q44-45 ..I haven't go thru the Kaplan math book, I am planning to go thru it this week or so. Did you use that book? What else did you use for Q50?

As for verbal, I am also using LSAT material..So good to hear that was helpful in your case :)

Now, it is time for you to enjoy Mediterranean!!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Totally awesome. You did great mba and I enjoyed studying with you. Was 710 your first try? I did get 650 in my last attempt with a verbal of 32. However, I spent only 1 month in the club (primarily math forum)before that attempt but I have spent much more time in the verbal forum since then. I'm also a 7XX hopeful for my next attempt. That verbal hurdle is difficult to overcome and I'm crossing my fingers for my next attempt :)
Once again, kudos! :woohoo

Originally posted by Paul on 03 Aug 2004, 13:06.
Last edited by Paul on 03 Aug 2004, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 727 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great score mba. your screen name is going to be true now. Your Q50 is just great. Good job.

Which prep did you find close to actual GMAT?

--Bhai

Originally posted by Bhai on 03 Aug 2004, 13:33.
Last edited by Bhai on 04 Aug 2004, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations , mba.

Would you mind sharing your strategy in each of the section of the GMAT. I am sure it would help everyone around here. Kindly write in as much detail as you can.

Congrats again. Essays are next. :)

Another thing, if possible, donate to your favorite charity. its kinda nice to share your happiness in some way with people who are not as fortunate. :)

Sincerely
Praetorian
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks! for the wishes,
It was my first attempt.

And yes! I already donated a part of what I planned, and the second part I will do it in a short while.

Actually I gave the gmat while on a business trip :wink: , a week before gmat things got very busy in Office, but I didn't loose the heart and I used to devote atleast 2hours daily for GMAT.

I was so much into GMAT, that I didn't see a single bit of television(my weakness) in past 35 days, and I guess it payed off!! :)

Well for Quants: I did nothing special, my quant was very strong right from school time (Did top in maths in School and top in Operations research in Engg college). :wink:
My verbal was weak, but I made sure of one thing, though my quant is strong but I won't put it aside. So I used to devote around 3-4 hours a week for Quants, did questions posted in this EXCELLENT club. Did all the challenges as posted by GMATCLUB. My exam was on 3rd August, so on 2nd August I revised complete quants as given in Kaplan.
I must say a share of my success in quants also goes to this club as well. I enjoyed solving questions posted by "Stolyar" and others.
About timming I would say try to solve each of gmat questions (while practicing) under 1.5 minutes. I used to finish my quants in practice exam with 15-20minutes left with my score in the range of 49-51.
Otherwise quant was tough as compared to Powerprep or Princeton,
I would rank it to the level of GMAT Challenges or Kaplan.
But I guess keep solving the questions posted in this group and you will be ok (believe me its all a matter of confidence.)

For verbal section: As you can see from my score, didn't do that well! But still i feel its ok.
One strategy that no one really pointed out in other posts is related to time management.
My two cents, while doing practice on CBT's, divide your time. What I did was:
First 10 Questions : 20 Minutes
Next 10 Questions : 18 Minutes
Next 10 Questions : 15 Minutes
(Then put some cushion here of couple of minutes in case you get 5 RC passages, as I know one of friends got 6RC :roll: )
For last 11 questions make sure you have 13 to 15 minutes.
This really helped me a bit to complete my test on time. Though I used up 23 minutes for my first 10 questions. (that's why I had 30 Seconds to solve the last Q, luckily it was SC)

Another thing I did was I made a schedule of one month prior to exam, when ever I used to get back from at around 1830Hrs I used to give a test and revise it on same day. Though it was bit intermingled by hell lot of work I had two weeks prior to my exam. On weekends I used to give two tests in a day. One test in the morning 1000-1400 Hrs(As was on actuall day) and second test without essays in the evening, to build my stamina.

Another important tip, FIRST 10 QUESTIONS are very IMPORTANT, get them right and you will see yourself 700+ (Though take care that you complete the test on time)

My test was on Tuesday, so on Monday I just did revision of my mistakes and normal stuff. On Saturday I gave PP2, didn't do well on that(I fumbled at the first question of verbal, so I was lurking around 690) So I realised no matter what may happen get the first couple of questions right. Next day on Sunday I again gave the PP2(Just to bolster my confidence) and I scored some respectable score it was 750(Only major difference I got the first question in verbal right).

The Prep that I found very near to GMAT is bit broken into sections:
Quant: I would say challenges posted by GMATCLUB are almost like actual GMAT. Second good source is Kaplan.

Verbal:
CR: Do LSAT CR's and you will be ok with CR's on the real test.
SC: Practice as much as you can, to be true to you I found SC Questions as the easiest one among three section on the real test(Though when I started prep it was my weakest section). I think I almost solved above 1000SC to get over my weakness.
RC: Do OG and I think you will be ok.

All in all, my experience says, PRACTICE IS THE KEY, Be confident, Be sincere to yourself, Keep discussing questions posted in this FABULOUS club.
Comments as posted by Paul, Praet and other members really helped me to get over my Verbal phobia. Thanks again guys!

ALL THE BEST
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratualtions mba!!!

Thanks for sharring your strategy and tips.

vow! no TV for 35 days.That shows your determination.

One question.
Did you have any specific plan for the test day? Plan A, plan B kind of stuff ? how did it work out?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey...

hearty congrats bud...

take care and goodluck !
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well I my plan A was: Cross 700
Plan B: Get first 10 right for each section.
Plan C: To follow the time line for verbal, as mentioned in my previous post.
Plan A1: Keep Praying to God all the time :)
Other than this nothing special.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Could yu please share the score in yur prep tests.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts