It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got 730 47 Q 42 V

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Got 730 47 Q 42 V [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2004, 13:44
:woot:

Just got back from taking the GMAT for a second time... I got a 680 my first time.

Anyway, I'm tired as hell....I'll post how I studied later today or tomorrow....

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2004, 17:35
congrats, we will be waiting to hear about your prep.

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2004, 18:25
I studied a total of about 9 weeks for my 2 attempts at the GMAT.

I started about buying the 7 Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides. I studied those for about 5 weeks. The strategy guides are very useful in breaking down how the problems are structured and how to approach each type of problem. These strategy guides were used in conjunction with the Official Guide. The strategy guides point to specific problems in the Official Guide.

At the end of week 5, I took my first practice test with Kaplan. I scored a 580 on my practice with Kaplan. I was in total shock. I was expecting a score around 680 or 700. I did not realize at that time that Kaplan's tests are designed for people to score 100 points lower than what they are capable of. So, I went into panic mode. I began pooring over the Manhattan GMAT books and OG doing problems to better my Sentence Correction and Number Properties. I then bought the Kaplan book/CD. I took my next practice exam 2 days later using the Kaplan CD and scored a 610. A slight improvement bust still pretty bad. I then took another practice exam 3 days later and scored 580. I finally talk to my friends and people on this forum to figure out that Kaplan tests usually score people 100 points lower than where they should be. However, my confidence is pretty low at this point. I vow never to even look at another Kaplan product as long as I live.

At the end of week 6, I visit Manhattan GMAT and take a practice exam. Their practice exams were very close to the real thing. I score a 690 and all is right with the world again. I study for another week using the Official Guide just improving my timing and doing more problems.

In the middle of week 7, I take a my fist Power Prep exam and score a 710. At the end of week 7, I take another exam with Manhattan GMAT and again score a 690.

I take my final practice exam using Power Prep about 5 days before my first attempt at the GMAT and score a 730. I take my last 5 days to do some problems using the Official Guide and to get ready for the exam.

At the end of week 8, I take the GMAT for the first time and score a 680. However, I messed up the verbal by not finishing the section. I took too much time worrying about if a few questions were correct early and burned too much time. I realize this and decide I need to take the exam again. I know what I did wrong. It was not a lack of practice or study. Luckily, I took the exam on 7/31, which means I can take the exam again the next day if I wanted to.

I take a few days to relax. I then decide to take the exam again on 8/11 and begin doing some problems in the OG to keep myself sharp. I buy the Princeton Review Book/CD and take a practice exam again about 5 days before the exam. I score a 730. I feel pretty good. I again take the last 5 days to relax while doing some problems in the OG to keep sharp. I feel pretty confident that I will do well going into the GMAT.

I take the GMAT for my second time and score a 730.

Hope this at least helps someone. Good Luck to all those reading this. Just study hard and be confident going into the exam. There is no magic involved just hard work.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2004, 03:12
Hi mawaru,

congrats for great score.

i am also in the same phase as you are in your 6th week practice.

i scored 630 or 640 in all kaplan tests (1 - 630 , 2 - 610 , 3 - 640, 4- 640 - tried very hard to complete). completed all tests of kaplan. But unable to reach at least 650.

my main problem is time problem for reading comprehension questions.

Despite taking time, i am unable to get them right. (accuracy given by kaplan stands at 25% (average)).

having good accuracy in CR and SC around 80% helping me to get atleast that much score.

one more problem is i am taking around 2 minutes for CR each time when i get it right. i am unable to get it right if i gave less time for it.

any body please give me suggestions to get more speed with same accuracy.

right now, i am just guesing on the 4th RC ( around 4 questions) to complete the Verbal section.

any suggestions how you have improved your speed for verbal section.

having just 12 days for GMAT.

please give suggestions on this problem.

Thanks in advance
syamee_u

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2004, 05:44
syamee_u wrote:
Hi mawaru,

congrats for great score.

i am also in the same phase as you are in your 6th week practice.

i scored 630 or 640 in all kaplan tests (1 - 630 , 2 - 610 , 3 - 640, 4- 640 - tried very hard to complete). completed all tests of kaplan. But unable to reach at least 650.

my main problem is time problem for reading comprehension questions.

Despite taking time, i am unable to get them right. (accuracy given by kaplan stands at 25% (average)).

having good accuracy in CR and SC around 80% helping me to get atleast that much score.

one more problem is i am taking around 2 minutes for CR each time when i get it right. i am unable to get it right if i gave less time for it.

any body please give me suggestions to get more speed with same accuracy.

right now, i am just guesing on the 4th RC ( around 4 questions) to complete the Verbal section.

any suggestions how you have improved your speed for verbal section.

having just 12 days for GMAT.

please give suggestions on this problem.

Thanks in advance
syamee_u

First thing I would do is get rid of those damn Kaplan tests. They'll put you way below the score you should be. I also remember being in a time crunch doing Kaplan tests, but not so much with the other practice exams.

I would either do the PP exams or if you have done those already buy Princeton Review Practice exams. If you're close to a Manhattan GMAT, take a practice exam with them.

Also, don't panic. Kaplan is crap. The only thing it will do is destroy your confidence.

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2004, 00:09
But it is a good practise against uncertainty

Franky
http://franky4gmat.blogspot.com

[#permalink] 02 Oct 2004, 00:09

Got 730 47 Q 42 V

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap