GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 09:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Got a 540, but I'm not giving up!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Got a 540, but I'm not giving up!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 23:39
I took the GMAT a week ago and was crushed by my results! I studied on and off for about a month and went from practice tests of 620 and 630 to an actual score of 540.

I was overconfident the week prior to the test and was extremely busy at work, so I did not study at all. I am aiming for an online MBA program with an average GMAT of 590, so I wasn't too worried about my score and let myself slack off due to pressures at work. I did not study much if at all after work the week to week and a half prior to the test due to my overconfidence, and instead chose to relax after stressful work days. The day prior to the test, I started freaking out because of my lack of studying. This led to extreme test anxiety and feeling nauseas the entirety of the test as my feeling of dread grew. I thought I was doing fairly well on the test, but apparently I was getting enough wrong to keep getting fairly easy questions.

I'm diving back into studying and reducing my workload for the next month. I am signed up to retake on December 15th and am excited to jump back into everything starting this weekend. I needed a few days to process my score and figure out what I wanted to do, and am now mentally ready to give it my best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Got a 540, but I'm not giving up!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 08:48
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 14:35
Hi leftfootlucy,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you've been studying off-and-on for just a month, then you should not expect to have mastered any aspects of the GMAT just yet. In addition, if you were taking your CATs in an unrealistic fashion, then that could have led to unrealistic, 'inflated' score results that made you think that you were more prepared for Test Day than you actually were. Thankfully, you're actually not that far from a 590+, but before I can offer you the specific advice that you might find beneficial, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for your 540?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 20:17
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi leftfootlucy,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you've been studying off-and-on for just a month, then you should not expect to have mastered any aspects of the GMAT just yet. In addition, if you were taking your CATs in an unrealistic fashion, then that could have led to unrealistic, 'inflated' score results that made you think that you were more prepared for Test Day than you actually were. Thankfully, you're actually not that far from a 590+, but before I can offer you the specific advice that you might find beneficial, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far? Kaplan GMAT 2019 book and online content
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? Kaplan gives me the scores
3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for your 540? 31 Verbal and 33 Quant

Goals:
4) What is your goal score? I'd be happy between 620 and 650 in order to be in a good place for a scholarship
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to? Arizona State University Online MBA
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School? I am planning to apply in January prior to their February 5th Round 3 deadline

Rich

Thanks for responding! I have been prepping using Kaplan materials and practice tests. After I exhaust those, I plan to use GMAT Club materials, as well as the two free official GMAT prep tests. I took another Kaplan practice test this morning, and got a 650, so I'm off my slump and motivated to keep studying!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 12:00
Hi leftfootlucy,

The 'swing' between a 540 and a 650 in just 1 week is considerable - meaning that you either had a bit of a 'bad day' when you took the GMAT or this recent CAT Score is not accurate (or a bit of both). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took this CAT:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take it at home?
3) Did you take it at the same time of day as when you plan to retake your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during this CAT that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever this CAT before? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 19:15
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi leftfootlucy,

The 'swing' between a 540 and a 650 in just 1 week is considerable - meaning that you either had a bit of a 'bad day' when you took the GMAT or this recent CAT Score is not accurate (or a bit of both). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took this CAT:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? Yes
2) Did you take it at home? Yes
3) Did you take it at the same time of day as when you plan to retake your Official GMAT? No, I took it in the morning, while the only GMAT I could sign up for is in the afternoon. I took my 540 at the same time as the practice test though.
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during this CAT that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? I had to let my dog out at one point, but didn't pause, just lost some Quant time
5) Did you ever this CAT before? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)? No

Rich

I was definitely having a bad day when I took the GMAT the first time. That's why I want to make sure to get as much prep done before I take it again as I can. I felt panicked and unprepared last time, which let me do being extremely freaked out during the test and scoring very poorly. I don't really need to improve from my practice scores, I just need to be able to perform at that same level on the actual test day.
e-GMAT Representative
G
Got a 540, but I'm not giving up!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Nov 2018, 23:47
Hi leftfootlucy,

It is good to see that you are not giving up and are determined to reach your target score. Since you have mentioned test anxiety to be one of the problems that prevented you from performing at the same level as your mock test, I think the following article will be useful for you:
- 10 tips - How to tackle GMAT anxiety

Hope this helps. If you have any further queries regarding GMAT, please feel free to write to us.

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Originally posted by egmat on 14 Nov 2018, 09:10.
Last edited by egmat on 27 Nov 2018, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 20:37
egmat wrote:
Hi leftfootlucy,

It is good to see that you are not giving up and are determined to reach your target score. Since you have mentioned test anxiety to be one of the problems that prevented you from performing at the same level as your mock test, I think the following article will be useful for you:
- 10 tips - How to tackle GMAT anxiety

Hope this helps. If you have any further queries regarding GMAT, please feel free to write to us in case of any further queries.

Regards,
Aditee

Thank you so much for this! I've used some tips and tricks for test anxiety because you linked that article, and I'm improving a lot. I really didn't think that was the problem until I read the article and it listed out all the issues I've been having studying and in taking the GMAT. I'm steadily improving now, and look forward to my test in a few weeks :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 20:16
The test is this Saturday and I'm starting to freak out again. I have taken that article and others on test anxiety into consideration and have changed a lot of my study strategies. I feel prepared and happy with my mock scores, but am getting nervous and am having trouble studying this week.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Got a 540, but I'm not giving up! &nbs [#permalink] 11 Dec 2018, 20:16

Got a 540, but I'm not giving up!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap