Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Got a Q45. Want more. [#permalink]
Thanks for the replies!

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
I studied for two months before my first take. However, my mentality and approach weren't all that systematic, and I am certain that I can improve my studying efficiency.

2) What study materials have you used so far?
I used an older edition of Manhattan prep books.

3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

I only took two practice tests, the GMATPrep ones. The first one I scored a Q49 (83rd percentile) V42 (96th percentile), the second one I scored a Q49 (73rd percentile) V42 (96th percentile). I took the first test immediately after finishing my Quant prep, and it seems to me that I failed to maintain my level or increase my verbal level while I studied for the verbal side. This is essentially why I decided to focus on math.

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
For Fall 2019, so this September.

5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
USC Marshall, UCLA, probably UCI. I want to be a video game product manager, so being in California is a priority for me. Other schools I will probably apply to include Carnegie mellon, IU, and Purdue (my family lives in Indiana).

Thanks for your help!

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32899 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Got a Q45. Want more. [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sadeau wrote:
Hello everyone, I took the GMAT a few months ago and got a score of 710. However I am not too happy with my Quant score of 45 as I was scoring 47-49 on practice tests. I am not at all worried about the other parts of the test.

Is it feasible to go from 45 to 49+? How long would it take and what kind of materials would you use? I am willing to spend up to a month working on it.

Hi

You should definitely follow this post !

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 41670.html

Good Luck
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Sadeau wrote:
Hello everyone, I took the GMAT a few months ago and got a score of 710. However I am not too happy with my Quant score of 45 as I was scoring 47-49 on practice tests. I am not at all worried about the other parts of the test.

Is it feasible to go from 45 to 49+? How long would it take and what kind of materials would you use? I am willing to spend up to a month working on it.

Hi Sadeau,

You can try out the MGMAT guides as they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. MGMAT's Foundation of GMAT Math guide is very helpful to brush up your basics. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Hope this helps. All the best.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sadeau,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's possible that you could improve simply by continuing to study and hone your skills. That having been said, with a Q45, you would have made a few little mistakes as you worked through the Quant section and missed out on LOTS of strategy-based points. If you focus on learning and practicing the proper Tactics, then you could potentially retest in a month and hit Q49.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16595 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sadeau,

You can surely improve your score to ​at least ​49.
It seems like your verbal skills are really good and all you need to focus on is quant.
In fact, GMAC prep tests are reliable but other test prep scores can vary as the logic of scoring is not exactly same as GMAC, so don't sol​e​y rely on test prep scores.

In order to jump to Q49 in a month, you need to understand two important things in GMAT Math.
In fact, GMAT is a logic test, not a general math test. That is, you need to learn the logic to tackle GMAT questions.
You can still solve GMAT questions with the conventional method.
However, if you aim to hit a high score(Q49-51) on quant, the conventional method is time-consuming and tends to be inefficient.
You may hit Q45 or above with the conventional way, but it is difficult or takes very long time to study until you hit Q49-51.
​In our course, you can ​learn ​Variable approach for DS and IVY approach for PS. They are unique, easy, short-cut and significant time-saving approaches​. You may reduce your problem solving time by 20-50% for a majority of math questions. ​​

The other important factor is to practi​ce​ the most current GMAT questions. ​Not many preps are updating new GMAT questions every year. A number of questions you get to practi​ce​ online tend to be out-of-date and they ​might ​not ​be ​that relevant to the current type​s​ of GMAT questions. If you are not used to the current type​s​ of questions, this could also be a reason to why your score is not improving. However, all the questions you get to practi​ce​ from our online course are developed based on the current type of GMAT questions.

Most importantly, we can help you with the two key factors if you want to succeed in GMAT, You may try our Free Resources including 4-hour video lesson, Diagnostic Test and Mock Test.
​www.mathrevolution.com ​

In addition, please refer to our GMAT Club posts to find more about our strategies: Link

If you have any further question, you can always reach out to us at info@mathrevolution.com

Best regards,

Jin
Math Revolution
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sadeau,

First of all, congratulations on scoring a 710 on the GMAT. A Q49+ score will further push your score to 750+.

Enhance Application to Improve to Q49

Q45 is a good start. It indicates that you do know a good number of concepts. You probably are able to solve most easy and medium questions correctly. To improve to Q49, you may need to improve on your ability to apply these concepts on more challenging questions. Also, you may have a few concept gaps which would need working on. Having said that, it is very much possible to improve to Q49 in 50 hours. People have improved from much lower scores. Here is one below:

• Guillermo improved from a Q38 (36 percentile) to Q50 (86 percentile). Learn how he leveraged Quant course to strategically plan his preparation and used Scholaranium to track his improvement in hard level questions. Click here to watch his interview. Read his amazing GMAT Club debrief here.

How to improve to a Q49+ score in 50+ hours?

Q45 is around 57 percentile. Q49 is around 75 percentile. Quick way to improve by 18+ percentile is to:

1. Define your weakness: Isolate your weak sections (Sections in which you struggle to answer the 600+ level questions correctly) by using a tool such as Quant Scholaranium or GMAT Club tests. Note you may have an idea as to the sections you need to improve upon. The sections in GMAT Quant are Number Properties, Algebra, Word Problems, Geometry, P&C/Probability etc.
    2. Work on focussed improvement: Once you have defined your weakness, work diligently to improve upon those areas. You may use a combination of focussed learning and practice. Take a look at the video lessons below and see whether they suit your learning style. Also take a look at the recording of a free algebra webinar.

Learn how Leonardo (from Brazil) improved his Quant score from a Q46 to Q49 in a quick time using the above stratgey and went on to score an incredible 750. He "identified and practiced specific sections" in Quant by leveraging Quant Scholaranium to achieve this feat. Click here to watch his video debrief. He recently secured an admit from Wharton, Booth, and Tepper.

Quant Scholaranium – An ideal tool to isolate your weakness and do precision practice

Click here to take a Quant Ability Quiz to get your sectional ability scores in Number Properties, Algebra, Word Problems, Geometry, and Advanced Topics (P&C, Probability etc.). Furthermore the analytics will help you understand how to:

1. Evaluate your preparation level at a topic level- Go to the Skill data section to check the performance.
    2. Isolate your weakness- Review the relative performance at topic wise level inside the Skill data section.
    3. Confirm and track your improvement- Retake the quiz once you've improved on the weak sections.

Do let me know if this helps. You can write to us at support@e-gmat.com in case you have more questions.

Regards,
Aditee
GMAT Club Bot