Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Got rejected in Fisher : 690 score : Need feedback.... [#permalink]
just.doit wrote:
Thanks WindOf....

I know people who have got there with a mere 650 and a general profile like mine. I am just upset because it is another year gone!

Can you suggest what other colleges should I apply to with this score where I will have a chance of getting into. I was thinking of Duke, Darden. But if I am applying for 2012, I would also like to apply to MIT, Ross, Kelloge too. So is it safe to apply to these colleges with a 690?

I think you are overestimating the value of the GMAT score in the application process. The GMAT is only one component and a high score by itself is not going to get you anywhere. From what I understand you come from the very overrepresented Indian IT applicants' pool. 690 is in general a perfectly fine score, however, for your particular pool it is kind of low for any of the top 20 programs. Also if you have not got into Fisher, chances are you are not getting into MIT or Kellogg. You really need to improve your overall profile and differentiate yourself from all other Indian IT people applying to Business school.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
I have to second SuitUp's opinion on this. I, too, think that you've overestimated the importance of GMAT score. A high GMAT score won't get you in, but a low GMAT will keep you out. Once you achieve the high GMAT score (690 is definitely decent), it becomes a checkmark for the AdComs to mark in that box. Then it'll depend on everything else. Were you essays proofread? Did you answer the questions? Did you showcase your leadership ability in and outside of your classroom? There are a whole array of things that AdComs look for, beyond the GMAT score. All of these have to represent a good candidate in order for the school to admit you. Again, going back to SuitUp's opinion, you do come from a pretty large pool of Indian applicants. How do you stack up against the others who may have the same background as yours, but a better story to tell? Obviously, some of these you can't control and you will never know how you really stack up against the other Indians, but you have to make sure you tell a good enough of story to convince the AdComs that you're more than just a GMAT score. If you had garnered an interview invite and were dinged subsequently, chances are something went wrong during the interview. Once you receive that interview invitation, you've already passed the paper-screening process and are now moving onto the interpersonal communication screening. If you did not get an invite, chances are somewhere along the application you didn't stand out quite enough for the AdComs to notice your presence. What you need to do is figure out where that is.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks bakfed and SuitUp.

Yes I guess I fall into a large pool of Indian applicants where scores are also generally high. I think I did a pretty good job on my essays and got it reviewed too but guess need to work on them again. I requested adcom to give me feedback but they said they cannot give me specific feedback on my application as they don't generally do that. I am not really sure where I went wrong but I have started working on my application again for this year.....fingers crossed! Hoping to make it this time!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
just.doit wrote:
Thanks bakfed and SuitUp.

Yes I guess I fall into a large pool of Indian applicants where scores are also generally high. I think I did a pretty good job on my essays and got it reviewed too but guess need to work on them again. I requested adcom to give me feedback but they said they cannot give me specific feedback on my application as they don't generally do that. I am not really sure where I went wrong but I have started working on my application again for this year.....fingers crossed! Hoping to make it this time!

Good luck! You can do it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Had a call with OSU regarding feedback. They did not tell explicitly what was wrong but the lady said that this year the competition was pretty tough and it would have helped if I would have applied in Sep rather than in Jan. She said my score and application was good but it was just a timing issue.

So, this is encouraging. Atleast I know there is nothing major wrong with my profile. Now, i will try and apply in all major colleges by Sep- Oct. Hoping for the best :) Guess 2011 will be the year!
GMAT Club Bot