It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GRE after GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GRE after GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 05:54
I had applied last year with a low GMAT score but was not selected. I am planning to reapply to Columbia again this year but would like to understand whether I should try to attempt the GMAT again or to submit a GRE score?

I find the GMAT verbal section difficult and I would probably score in the range of 650-700 if I decide to give GMAT again. Since I am good with vocab, I just gave a GRE practice test where I scored a 315. I am sure after prep that I can improve this score to get between 320-330.

Would the admissions office look at the application in a negative light if I re-apply with a GRE score? Or would it be safer to stick to the GMAT even though it might not be a great score?

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 904 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GRE after GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 06:34
bks5860 wrote:
I had applied last year with a low GMAT score but was not selected. I am planning to reapply to Columbia again this year but would like to understand whether I should try to attempt the GMAT again or to submit a GRE score?

I find the GMAT verbal section difficult and I would probably score in the range of 650-700 if I decide to give GMAT again. Since I am good with vocab, I just gave a GRE practice test where I scored a 315. I am sure after prep that I can improve this score to get between 320-330.

Would the admissions office look at the application in a negative light if I re-apply with a GRE score? Or would it be safer to stick to the GMAT even though it might not be a great score?

Hi bks5860 ,

Welcome to GMATClub :)

I think if you are already good at GRE, you should go ahead and take the exam.

You can always explain your reasons for taking the GRE exam and if it is a great score, Columbia won't bother about your previous GMAT score.

So, get yourself prepared for GRE and beat the exam. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 39

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 09:30
bks5860 wrote:

What was your GMAT score? The score that you have been rejected with

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 39

Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 999 [0], given: 78

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 22:30
bks5860 wrote:

Hi bks5860 ,
320 is a pretty good score and corresponds to somewhere around the 80th percentile and 330 is close to 98 percentile and hence it is a rare score. In my opinion, if needed you can always explain why did you take the GRE and if you score in the upper half of that range 320-330 , you should be good as the b school won't be concerned about your earlier GMAT score .
How much did you score on the GMAT when you were not accepted by Columbia ?

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 999 [0], given: 78

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 23:39
Thanks Abhimahna, LeonidK and Skywalker18!

So I should just focus on giving the GRE?

I applied with a 600. Quant score was high (49) but the verbal was really low.

Board of Directors
D

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
GRE after GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 23:45
bks5860 wrote:

Yes, if you are confident that you can score a great score on GRE, Go ahead and get that done.

Remember, an outstanding GRE score will make your application very strong despite your previous low GMAT score.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 23:46
LeonidK wrote:
bks5860 wrote:

What was your GMAT score? The score that you have been rejected with

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 00:04
abhimahna wrote:
bks5860 wrote:

Yes, if you are confident that you can score a great score on GRE, Go ahead and get that done.

Remember, an outstanding GRE score will make your application very strong despite your previous low GMAT score.

Okay, I will start preparing for the GRE then :) Thanks so much!

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
B
Affiliations: Harvard University

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 10:40
Couldn't agree with this more - it's 100% true that sometimes people score better on the opposite test, simply because the way the test is structured. It's is also my professional opinion that for those who score higher in verbal, the GRE might give you a boost over the GMAT.

Switching tests, as long as your new score is high, will not be a red flag to admissions. They just want to know that if they admit you, you can keep up with the course work at that high level!

Hope that helps!

I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad, and currently run the award-winning MBA & EMBA admission firm and blog: http://www.MBAIvyLeague.com. Check out the blog and contact me for a free consultation today!

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 00:26
abhimahna wrote:
bks5860 wrote:

how can i score highest in just one month ? can i have that type of gre books ?

“Everything you do now is for your future, think about that.”

MBA journey starts right from GMAT prep to internships to MBA jobs. The first step is GMAT preparation. For GMAT preparation there are lot of different kind of GMAT books are available in the market. Therefore it is very difficult to choose from where to study.

Re: GRE after GMAT?   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2017, 00:26

GRE after GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap