Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Re: Guidance need to gauge performance [#permalink]
Uhh, it really hurts...

I don't see the problem in your math score, it is pretty OK as long as it ranges from 44-48. with little practice you could stabilize it on some 47-48 level which is more than enough even for top notch schools.

But your verbal is totally different story... Your scores are brutaly low, I mean... Indian guy with 22-28... that is going to kill your applications even on some really low ranked schools. Mid 20s Verbal scores without improvement indicate that you are using wrong material for your study or that you have some really serious problems with your English language. I sincerely hope that it is the first scenario for you... Do you use Kaplan material for Verbal? Anything, like GMAT800 or anything else?

Unless you experience some lucky twist in your exam (I hope you will, because I know some people who scored high Verbal by a pure luck), you will have to work from the scratch on your verbal skills. Just don't give up whatever happens! Never give up.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
Uhh, it really hurts...

I don't see the problem in your math score, it is pretty OK as long as it ranges from 44-48. with little practice you could stabilize it on some 47-48 level which is more than enough even for top notch schools.

But your verbal is totally different story... Your scores are brutaly low, I mean... Indian guy with 22-28... that is going to kill your applications even on some really low ranked schools. Mid 20s Verbal scores without improvement indicate that you are using wrong material for your study or that you have some really serious problems with your English language. I sincerely hope that it is the first scenario for you... Do you use Kaplan material for Verbal? Anything, like GMAT800 or anything else?

Unless you experience some lucky twist in your exam (I hope you will, because I know some people who scored high Verbal by a pure luck), you will have to work from the scratch on your verbal skills. Just don't give up whatever happens! Never give up.

I know pathfinder, I am myself surprised as to why my verbal score is low. I have been educated in english speaking schools and have studied most of the stuff in english. I also pursued a masters degree from the UK. I like watching english movies a lot. Thus I don;t think its lack of or bad english skills that killing me. It has got to do with something else I guess. Let me re-work on my english and though I am again reading MGmat SC and other SC notes that I found in this forum, I need to work on RC as that is an area of concern. Any advice on how to restart verbal?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello everyone, I just took the first GMAT prep test and got a 750 (Q49, V42). There's two days left for the real test.

I need some good advice on how I can improve my Sentence Correction skills within two days - all 6 questions that I got wrong in the verbal section were sentence correction questions. Any quick fixes that's actually worked for anyone here?
Retired Moderator
 Q48  V41
Send PM
You don't need any kind of quick fix, you are going to get high score with or without SC fix. :)

Out of curiosity, tell me whether you took GMATprep 1 or 2 when you got 6 wrong SCs? I'm almost sure we are talking about Gprep 2...

Anyway, don't worry - you are going to nail GMAT, now you have to relax a bit, maybe it is a good time to read some instructions what should you do on the test day and night before. I'm sure you'll find plenty of such threads in this forum.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I took GMAT prep 1. I'll take the 2nd one later on today. Are there any significant differences between the two?

The Gmatclub maths tests are just fantastic. I wish I purchased them earlier - I've had access to them for a week and already I feel it's made me sharper. If only there was something to improve SC as quickly - i guess it's too late too start reading up on all the grammer rules out there.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dont worry mujimania, you will do well. Just go thru some SC notes if you have and you will be fine. Good Luck. :)
Retired Moderator
 Q48  V41
Send PM
mujimania wrote:
I took GMAT prep 1. I'll take the 2nd one later on today. Are there any significant differences between the two?

The Gmatclub maths tests are just fantastic. I wish I purchased them earlier - I've had access to them for a week and already I feel it's made me sharper. If only there was something to improve SC as quickly - i guess it's too late too start reading up on all the grammer rules out there.

GMATprep 2 has some monster SCs, so the verbal raw score tends to be negatively skewed due to this. Real test verbal, and so SCs, are more similar to verbal from GMATprep 1 so the result from GP 1 is more accurate indicator of your real Verbal raw score.

However, you don't have to worry. With 750 from the first try of GMATprep 1... That is an awesome practice score and I'm sure it will turn into an excellent exam score. Just don't forget to inform us of your GMATprep 2 score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got 720 (Q48,V 41) for the second test. I seemed to have gone downhill slightly. The sentence correction questions again let me down.

My test is tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck.
Retired Moderator
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Don't worry about your second test, SCs in the second test is much harder than those in 1st. I don't understand why they've done tests like that, but that's just the way it is. I don't know what to expect on your real test, it depends on your concentration and luck tomorrow, but I clearly see that you are 750 material.

I wish you best luck. Don't forget to debrief us with some good news tomorrow :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everybody here for the encouragement and advice. I've just returned from the test centre with a 770 (Q49, V47)! I'm overjoyed, especially as I haven't been able to prepare as well as I would have liked.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mujimania wrote:
Thanks everybody here for the encouragement and advice. I've just returned from the test centre with a 770 (Q49, V47)! I'm overjoyed, especially as I haven't been able to prepare as well as I would have liked.

This is a bit of a runaway thread, but nevertheless Congratulations!!!! :war
Manager
Manager
Send PM
WOW Dude, thats awsome. Really great. Congrats... :)
Retired Moderator
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Congratulations!!!

I can't resists to ask you - what did I tell ya? :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
Congratulations!!!

Thanks. I took your advice on board - I stopped studying and started relaxing. Played a football match in the evening, went to sleep early, and woke up very late - around an hour before the actual test!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mujimania wrote:
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
Congratulations!!!

Thanks. I took your advice on board - I stopped studying and started relaxing. Played a football match in the evening, went to sleep early, and woke up very late - around an hour before the actual test!

You should write a GMAT prep book or start a GMAT Prep company - you will slaughter the competition :-D
Heck, I think I'll join your classes too.
GMAT Club Bot