GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Haas EWMBA vs UW Foster

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Haas EWMBA vs UW Foster  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 11:17
Hoping to get a little perspective. Wondering if it's worth going to Haas over Foster PT? Currently 29, salary at 135K working for a major tech company. Right now I'm based in Seattle, and don't really want to move right now, but open to it in 3-5 years. As I'n thinking about schools I'm trying to think about the long term ROI but getting a little stuck. It looks like Haas being in the top 10 is awesome long term, but I'm wondering if it's worth it given I already have a decent salary and a lot of working years left. Also to boot, If I were to attend Haas I believe I'd have to take loans vs. Foster where I know I can pay it loan free + saving somewhere in the neighborhood of 70K in the three years (which I would heavily invest). I want to get an MBA to move to more strategic roles in tech, more focused on analytics to drive marketing strategies. I think both programs can help get me there, it's just a matter of what really makes sense. Haas' network and reputation are attractive, but flying every week would be a drawback since I couldn't network. On the UW side, the Seattle network is super strong, and the price tag is super manageable, but it is at best a Top 30 school. I have my BA from Harvard, and also worried about the perception that if you go to a top school for undergrad you have to go to a top school for grad.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)
Re: Haas EWMBA vs UW Foster  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 11:35
Same boat as you - I work in Seattle and I assume you either work at AMZ or Microsoft. I am applying EWMBA or Booth. Thinking of relocating internally.
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Haas EWMBA vs UW Foster  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 11:44
KLG0018 wrote:
Hoping to get a little perspective. Wondering if it's worth going to Haas over Foster PT? Currently 29, salary at 135K working for a major tech company. Right now I'm based in Seattle, and don't really want to move right now, but open to it in 3-5 years. As I'n thinking about schools I'm trying to think about the long term ROI but getting a little stuck. It looks like Haas being in the top 10 is awesome long term, but I'm wondering if it's worth it given I already have a decent salary and a lot of working years left. Also to boot, If I were to attend Haas I believe I'd have to take loans vs. Foster where I know I can pay it loan free + saving somewhere in the neighborhood of 70K in the three years (which I would heavily invest). I want to get an MBA to move to more strategic roles in tech, more focused on analytics to drive marketing strategies. I think both programs can help get me there, it's just a matter of what really makes sense. Haas' network and reputation are attractive, but flying every week would be a drawback since I couldn't network. On the UW side, the Seattle network is super strong, and the price tag is super manageable, but it is at best a Top 30 school. I have my BA from Harvard, and also worried about the perception that if you go to a top school for undergrad you have to go to a top school for grad.

Amazonians I work with think about an MBA for the long-term future and are willing to forgo the 150K salary in order to have a top school on their resume, and hopefully, this will help them break into upper management down the road.

I'm not even so sure that it really makes sense for you to do a part time MBA as a way to get into a more strategic role, is that really worth the time and energy? Would you need an MBA to do that is my question. Maybe something more limited like this? https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/executive-education/individual-programs/executive-programs/bigdata.aspx

What would a part time MBA from Foster do as a way to get you into that more strategic role, would that get the job done?

What I'm alluding to here is that you should really think about your short term and long-term goals and make that the criteria for your decision.

It kind of seems like you just want to be focused on work in Seattle for the next 3 to 5 years anyway, maybe doing an EMBA at Wharton SF down the road would make more sense. Or really, if you are interested in data analytics that drive marketing strategies, check out the Kellogg EMBA which is in Miami monthly or Chicago.

I will say though, it is unlikely that you will become more willing to forgo a higher and higher salary. It’s best to do school when there is a lower opportunity cost, but also experienced enough to put the concepts into place.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Haas EWMBA vs UW Foster &nbs [#permalink] 05 Aug 2018, 11:44

Haas EWMBA vs UW Foster

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap