GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 02:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard vs Stanford vs Wharton (2x$) vs Booth (3x$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Harvard vs Stanford vs Wharton vs Booth

• 40% [18]
  • 40% [18]
  • 13% [6]
  • 4% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Harvard vs Stanford vs Wharton (2x$) vs Booth (3x$) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 12:15
I was recently ecstatic to learn that I was accepted to the following schools:

Harvard (should be eligible for need-based scholarship)
Stanford (should be eligible for need-based scholarship)
Wharton ($60k scholarship)
Chicago ($80k scholarship)

Post-MBA Goals: either (1) working for a mid-stage startup, (2) working in VC or Growth Equity (better chance of VC than PE due to background), or (3) entrepreneurship (although more of a medium-term goal). Ideally, I would like to live in the South (strange, I know) post-graduation.

My current thought process/questions I'm asking myself:

(1) Stanford's location is obviously a big factor due to my goals, but has HBS closed this gap over the past few years? Since they've put so much focus on the Rock Center/Innovation Lab/etc.
(2) Would it be worth talking to H or S regarding my decision and financial aid, or are these schools' need-based scholarships non-negotiable?
(3) Assuming I am eligible for at least 'some' ($ or $$) need-based aid from H or S, is there any scenario in which Wharton/Booth should prevail in this decision (i.e. if I can negotiate more money)?

I have never posted in this forum, but please do not mistake this as a "troll" post. Interested in any/all thoughts. Thanks very much!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Harvard vs Stanford vs Wharton (2x$) vs Booth (3x$) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 12:21
Congratulations on your hard work and eventual success!

I would probably let some of the HBS folks comment on the startup/VC gap vs. Stanford.
Both Booth and Wharton have some entrepreneurship initiatives (e.g. Polsky center at Booth) but I think they are going to be unlikely competitors to Stanford being where it is located. In my experience VC and startups are so often dependent on the personal and chance encounters (networking) that being on the ground is going to be so much more important.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 10:24
I am facing a similar struggle right now, so wanted to know what decision you made at the end. Would you share your thought process?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 19:35
(1) Stanford's location is obviously a big factor due to my goals, but has HBS closed this gap over the past few years? Since they've put so much focus on the Rock Center/Innovation Lab/etc.
Can't comment here really, the perception is still the same with Stanford being the #1 entrepreneurial school, I would also consider the relative reputation of H and S in the south. My gut tells me Harvard travels better outside of the coastal cities.
(2) Would it be worth talking to H or S regarding my decision and financial aid, or are these schools' need-based scholarships non-negotiable?
Yes, they may not care but tend to listen when it comes to decisions related to each other so its worth a shot
(3) Assuming I am eligible for at least 'some' ($ or $$) need-based aid from H or S, is there any scenario in which Wharton/Booth should prevail in this decision (i.e. if I can negotiate more money)?
Not in my opinion

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Harvard vs Stanford vs Wharton (2x$) vs Booth (3x$)   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2017, 19:35

Harvard vs Stanford vs Wharton (2x$) vs Booth (3x$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: teleste, Wilch, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap