It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 13:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Has anybody gotten accepted to a top MBA program without....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Has anybody gotten accepted to a top MBA program without.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2008, 17:10
a recommendation letter from their supervisor? How much will my chances be affected if I don't want to let my current supervisor know of my b-school plans?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 761 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Re: Has anybody gotten accepted to a top MBA program without.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2008, 18:24
I know of several people on here that got into top programs with no one at their work knowing. Its possible but I think it all depends on the person applying and who they do get recommendations from. Its a fairly common issue, schools are used to it happening. However, a lot of people I know have been very surprised with their supervisors' responses to their b-school dreams. It seems most are extremely supportive.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 761 [0], given: 5

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2008, 18:24
gt7er wrote:
a recommendation letter from their supervisor? How much will my chances be affected if I don't want to let my current supervisor know of my b-school plans?

Plenty.

A lot of people can't tell their current supervisor about their MBA plans without jeopardizing their career. B-schools understand that.

Of course, you still need to line up high quality recommendations.

RF

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
I got reco letters from seniors (investment managers) in my department. I did not go to the head of my department though as I was avoiding him from knowing. I did get into various top 20 schools last year.

Ofcourse it helps, but people overvalue the job titles of people they choose for their recommendations. It is important is to get people higher ranked than you, but more importantly people who really know you and have worked with you considerably.

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 03:18
Thanks for the response guys. If it's someone that's at a mentor level (somewhere in between me and my supervisor), do you think it would be an appropriate rec-letter?

One thing with my boss is that he's korean and his english isn't very good at all. he probably wouldnt' be able to communicate much well...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 05:12
I just read my previous post. I wrote that in a hurry and it sounds like crap.

Anyhow, someone who is between you and your boss, if he has worked with you and understands your potential and came cite good stories to back up what he says about you (leadrship, teamwork etc), then he is perfect.

You need 2 or 3 recommendation letters right. The rest you can get from previous employers, clients, any place where you did extra-curriculars outside work.

Worse case scenario, in a situation where you have no one else but your boss, you can talk to the adcoms and explain the situation. Sometimes they dont mind peers/university professors evaluating you. But generally that might be a negative as the adcom might think that this guy must be inexperienced if me can't even find 2 or 3 people to write recommendations for him.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2163 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 06:20
/me raises hand.

Hi!

Kudos [?]: 2163 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 06:42
Ola Rhyme!

Wrong thread but how did the Chicago event you were hosting go?

Anyway back on topic, what do you say about the topic at hand?

Re: Has anybody gotten accepted to a top MBA program without....   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2008, 06:42