It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS Special on CNBC at 10pm EST

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 9

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
HBS Special on CNBC at 10pm EST [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 18:50
A look inside HBS. Should be interesting...

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Schools: Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
Re: HBS Special on CNBC at 10pm EST [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 18:51
I've got my dvr set...this should be entertaining.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Schools: Harvard '11

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 19:58
starts in 3 minutes...

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 2

Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 20:39
what a cheap attempt at marketing Harvard Business School..

i mean..

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 2

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 21:09
I liked it, makes me wish I was there now. Although I thought the Skilling thing was a bit of a reach. 68,000 alumni and CNBC tries to infer its HBS's fault for one bad apple? Give me a break.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 21:10
do CEOs of the businesses in the cases really sit in on class if the case is fresh enough? I have not heard that, but that would be really interesting if true and common

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 21:38
fresinha12 wrote:

i mean..

couldn't agree with you more, bro--i was thoroughly disappointed.

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Schools: Booth 2012

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 21:58
yes... when i sat in on a class, the ceo was there. pretty cool stuff.

dghazer wrote:
do CEOs of the businesses in the cases really sit in on class if the case is fresh enough? I have not heard that, but that would be really interesting if true and common

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2008, 22:00
dghazer wrote:

Yes, we had about 5 sitting in our class this term (including Jack Welch) and a dozen or so more that were simulcast into our section from other classes.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 07:56
jb32 wrote:
I liked it, makes me wish I was there now. Although I thought the Skilling thing was a bit of a reach. 68,000 alumni and CNBC tries to infer its HBS's fault for one bad apple? Give me a break.

I didn't think that was the point. I thought they were just using him as the posterboy to make a point. Clearly in recent years there has been a lot of greed and corruption on wall st, where they said 50% of HBS alums go. If wall st is so flooded with HBS alums because they are so good, then clearly they were apart of that problem. Which the director admited and said that while they were somewhat focused on ethics, those events signaled they needed to do more leading them to add a specific course.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 08:10
Wow, that is absolutely amazing to me.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 08:30
young_gun wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

i mean..

couldn't agree with you more, bro--i was thoroughly disappointed.

Agree, this wasn't any more of an "inside look" at HBS than the videos and materials readily available on the HBS website. I thought many of the points they made about the challenges/opportunities faced by HBS students could also be said about other ultra-elite schools and their students.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 08:40
NJMike4MBA wrote:
Agree, this wasn't any more of an "inside look" at HBS than the videos and materials readily available on the HBS website. I thought many of the points they made about the challenges/opportunities faced by HBS students could also be said about other ultra-elite schools and their students.

While I agree that this wasn't an inside "inside look" I think people are being a little to critical. If you are applying to HBS do you really think they are going to put in information that you don't already know? This wasn't created by Harvard to market their school. I think we all know they don't need to market their school at all. Go to any bschool event and HBS is either not there or they simply show up and pass out booklets. This was made for CNBC as a television show for all the people who don't/aren't going to HBS to give them an "inside look". I already knew pretty much everything in the show, except for the lady with cancer, but my fiancee (who doesn't spend 4 hrs a day on gmatclub) found it very interesting.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 09:27
My guess is there's a HBS alum among the CNBC program Directors and he/she wanted to just give HBS some free positive publicity on CNBC after "Jenna Bush's ex HS BF got into HBS without college degree" fiasco....

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 12:55
gixxer1000 wrote:
NJMike4MBA wrote:

While I agree that this wasn't an inside "inside look" I think people are being a little to critical. If you are applying to HBS do you really think they are going to put in information that you don't already know? This wasn't created by Harvard to market their school. I think we all know they don't need to market their school at all. Go to any bschool event and HBS is either not there or they simply show up and pass out booklets. This was made for CNBC as a television show for all the people who don't/aren't going to HBS to give them an "inside look". I already knew pretty much everything in the show, except for the lady with cancer, but my fiancee (who doesn't spend 4 hrs a day on gmatclub) found it very interesting.

I think the fact that it was on CNBC (a dedicated business and investing channel) makes it hard to believe that the target audience was people who are not already somewhat familiar with HBS. I'd have to think the demographic of people who watch CNBC generally are the past/present/future bschool student.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 14:38
How annoying was that married couple...retch.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 14:47
McDargoiowkel wrote:

They didn't bother me that much, but when they showed him playing flag football and he was wearing receiver's gloves, I started laughing and thought "what a tool". I mean it's flag football not the NFL. Then they said he was a Navy SEAL and I felt bad for laughing at him.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2008, 15:01
NJMike4MBA wrote:
McDargoiowkel wrote:

They didn't bother me that much, but when they showed him playing flag football and he was wearing receiver's gloves, I started laughing and thought "what a tool". I mean it's flag football not the NFL. Then they said he was a Navy SEAL and I felt bad for laughing at him.

Hahahaha.. The receiver's glove thing was funny. Navy seal or not wearing gloves for flag football is like wearing a big sign: "I am a douche".

Now, watch me wearing gloves and playing flag football whereever I am next year. :lol:

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2008, 07:24
NJMike4MBA wrote:

I think the fact that it was on CNBC (a dedicated business and investing channel) makes it hard to believe that the target audience was people who are not already somewhat familiar with HBS. I'd have to think the demographic of people who watch CNBC generally are the past/present/future bschool student.

While agree that it was made for business minded people who have attended or who will attend business school, I don't think it was made as an informational piece to describe the school to future applicants. HBS get about 8000 applications. Even if it was geared toward all the people applying in the next 3 years it would have had an audience of 24,000 people!! It was a t.v. show. There was something in it for all the alums to look back on and reminisce, there was something for other MBA grads to look at and compare with their school, and their was something for people who don't have an MBA to look at and see what HBS might be like. Like someone poster earlier you could have essentially done this with any top bschool and most of the info would have been the same. The HBS name was just to draw extra viewers, because lets face it another top 20 grad would probably tune it to watch HBS but probably would care as much if it was Booth or MIT.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg '10

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2008, 07:46
NJMike4MBA wrote:

Considering CNBC probably has tens of millions of viewers, I think for the vast majority of them the closest they'll get to a business school in their lives is driving past one on the highway.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Re: HBS Special on CNBC at 10pm EST   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2008, 07:46

HBS Special on CNBC at 10pm EST

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap