GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Help! actual score lower than mock and verbal a disappointment

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Help! actual score lower than mock and verbal a disappointment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 04:47
Hi Guys,

I really need help from this forum now more than ever!

Professional Background:
CFA Professional with 5+ years of experience in M&A and PE with a leading accounting firm

GMAT Background:
• 1st attempt ever on the GMAT: August 2014 scored 590 (Q49, V23)
• After three years during the latter part of 2017 started preparation again.
• 10th Dec 2017 gave the GMAT, scored 600 (Q49, V24)

Preparation background:
• For my Aug 14 prep, I really did not study verbal and went with my own fancies and scored 590 (Q49, V23)
• For my Dec 17 prep, I focused a lot on verbal knowing that it is my weakness. Following was the result:
I. Sept 2017, diagnostic: 550 (Q42, V24) (Verbal breakup- CR 27, RC 21 & SC 25)
II. Oct 2017, 580 (Q40, V 29) (Verbal breakup CR 34, RC 30 & SC 30)
III. 5th Nov 2017, 590 (Q37, V34) ----> EXAM PACK ADDITIONAL (Verbal CR 38, RC 36 & SC 28)
IV. 19th Nov 2017 650 (retake prep 2), (Q45, V35) (Verbal breakup- CR 38, RC 28 & SC 38)
V. 26th Nov 2017, 630 (Q37, V30) ----> EXAM PACK ADDITIONAL (Verbal CR 6, RC 40 & SC 26)
VI. 29th Nov 2017, 640 (Q43, V35) ----> EXAM PACK ADDITIONAL (Verbal- CR 39, RC 34 & SC 30)
VII. 3rd Dec 2017, 580 (Q42, V28) ----> EXAM PACK ADDITIONAL (Don’t know what happened anomaly I guess) (Verbal- CR 29, RC 23 & SC 34)
VIII. 5th Dec 2017 (retake prep 1), 620 (Q42, V33) (Verbal- CR 33, RC 32 & SC 34)
IX. 10th Dec 2017, ACTUAL GMAT 600 (Q49, V24)

Note: All the verbal score breakup is as indicated in the GMAT prep software

Material Used:
Magoosh Videos for SC. I found them killer and improved a lot in my mocks (Practiced from OG + VERBAL REVIEW+ MAGOOSH + GMAT CLUB QUESTIONS)
OG & VERBAL REVIEW for RC and CR + Magoosh Questions
• Quant only from GMAT Club

Answers needed:
• I was fairly confident during my test. Attempted Verbal section first. Post Question 10 came a long 4 passage RC, which I did not understand, and started to lose control from there. What could have gone wrong? Were all questions wrong?
• What should I do to improve my verbal.??
• Any private coaching available to address the same?
• Should I take alternative prep strategies? (Could only do 3-4 hours a day on weekdays & 12 hrs on the weekend)
• Even though I lacked in Quant during my mocks and was fairly confident in verbal, how did the opposite score come up in the final GMAT exam?? I expected Q42 & V33 rather I got Q49 & V24.
• V24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot digest this fact, please help me on this. Starting to think I might be dumb!
• Does the GMAT give an easy Quant and a difficult verbal or are the two sections not related?
Magoosh Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Help! actual score lower than mock and verbal a disappointment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 14:36
Hi shady316,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Regardless of how you were scoring on your CATs, your two Official Scores show that you 'responded' to the GMAT in essentially the exact same ways both times you took it (even though your Test Dates were over 3 years apart). Based on the variations in your CAT Scores (relative to your Official Score), this implies that you were probably not taking your CATs in a realistic fashion that matches up with Test Day and that you've developed some 'bad habits' that are keeping you from scoring higher. Before I can offer you the specific advice about how to adjust your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Help! actual score lower than mock and verbal a disappointment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 21:45
Hi Rich,

Answers to your question:
1. Goal Score: 700

2. I want to apply for the intake of 2018, the deadlines are mid Jan 18. But I don't mind applying for the 2019 intake, can sacrifice a year for a 700.

3. Target schools: Rotman, Schulich, Melbourne, AGSM, HKUST, ISB & Columbia

I cancelled my score of 600 yesterday, you think I can still get the ESR? Not sure if I have these ESR's in my prep software ?

Thanks for you help mate, look forward to your reply.

-Akshay a.k.a Shady316

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 14:51
Hi shady316,

According to the information available on MBA.com, you should be able to purchase an ESR even for a Test Score that you've cancelled. With a V24, you would have lost significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR), so you don't necessarily need an ESR if you don't want to purchase it. Given your strong performances in the Quant section on both of your Official GMATs, your 'needs' are clearly in the Verbal section. Raising a 600 to a 700+ will likely require at least another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to focus on learning and practicing the proper Verbal Tactics. Thankfully, the Verbal section of the GMAT is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. This is meant to say that you could potentially hit your Score Goal before the January application deadlines that you referred to - but you'll have to be really 'efficient' with your studies.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 20:18
Hey Rich,

I am a working professional so 3 hours a day on the weekdays and 12 hours a day on the weekends is what I can afford.

What should be my way forward? Will try to get the ESR and send it across to you.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Help! actual score lower than mock and verbal a disappointment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 20:46
Top Contributor
Hi shady316,

Did you ever order the ESR (Enhanced Score Report) from your last test? If so, then feel free to post it here. Sharing that information with the GMAT Club community would help us give you more specific advice.

shady316 wrote:
I cancelled my score of 600 yesterday, you think I can still get the ESR?

Yes, you can still order your ESR, even if you cancelled your score.

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 11:44
Hi shady316,

If you're going to purchase the ESR, then I'd like to see the data in that Report before I offer you any advice. You can feel free to email or PM it to me (although I would like to see the ENTIRE ESR - not just the data for the Verbal section). If you choose to not purchase the ESR, then I can still offer you some general suggestions about how to continue your studies from this point. You can also feel free to contact me directly if you'd rather have a private discussion.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Re: Help! actual score lower than mock and verbal a disappointment &nbs [#permalink] 12 Dec 2017, 11:44

Help! actual score lower than mock and verbal a disappointment

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap