Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Coaching
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Re: Help! Family Business after MBA [#permalink]
jeffreyadcom wrote:
Positives:
1) Decent GMAT score
2) Clear career goals with steady, logical progression. Easy to build the career goal essays; but would be hard to explain the switch from IT work ex in other essays.

Negatives:
1) Work ex is about a year less than par.
2) Undergrad brand. Stanford could be difficult! If you drum up family business ahead of your short term goals, then it'll be easy to impress Stanford ADCOMs. Dream big NOW and GSB would let you in : )

Drop Short term Goals, club your medium & long term goals to build a coherent "world-conquering" pitch. I could assist you with your essays. All the best.

Thanks for your reply!
The main reason I had consulting in my short term goals is because the switch from IT to Manufacturing in my long term goal is difficult to justify without any prior work experience in the industry.
But then I decided to think of the family business as "a high technology company with an established product line that needs better processes, better marketing strategy etc". The kind of things that the MBA can give me. And my own computer science expertise can be used in making the product line "smart" instead of the current pure mechanical products.

So revised:
Short term goals: After MBA, go back and head the marketing division, and develop and execute a strategy to expand the existing customer base, currently in 5 countries to 15 countries. And use my IT expertise to optimize processes like ERP systems, etc (which are currently not present).

Long term goals: Become one of the world leaders in the $20 billion "specialty industrial valves" with presence in all 38 countries. Develop "smart valves" which have better efficiency, better life and higher performance, which will lead to lower running costs for steel plants, power plants, oil and gas refineries etc, thus saving billions of dollars of the world economy in the long run.

Does this sound like a coherent world-conquering pitch?

Again, thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
99Colleges wrote:
Here are my comments on your career goals:

Short-term: Why manufacturing? Is it for family business? Second, you can’t control which clients or industry you work in as a consultant, at least in the short term. There are lots of variables involved.

Medium-term: If consulting in manufacturing is a path to expanding the family business, then that path may just get broken because you may not necessarily work with clients in that industry. And if that’s not the path, then the original question looms: why manufacturing? Moreover, consulting to entrepreneurship is a flogged-to-death rationale given year after year by many. I’m not saying it doesn’t work, but because adcoms have been exposed (in essays) to this career paths so much that they can easily get skeptical if you fumble even small in your reasoning. Also ‘MBA skills’ work more for short-term goals. Medium and long-term paths build more through earlier professional experience and network.

Long-term: Prima facie, looks disconnected. People rarely use resources of the company unless they’ve made billions and are in philanthropic mode.

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

Yes, you are right. I mentioned manufacturing because my family business is a industrial machinery manufacturing company.
My reasoning behind consulting was to get some experience in the industry before going back to the family business.

But then I decided to not focus on the manufacturing and engineering part (in which the company already has expertise and an established world class product line) and instead focus on the other aspects of the company which are currently not world class (HR, Marketing, IT etc).

Also, my own technical expertise in computer science can be leveraged in development of "smart" products (better sensors, better software, self error detection, etc)

So my revised goals strategy is:
(I have written it in an above answer but I'll repeat it here)

Short term goals: After MBA, go back and head the marketing division, and develop and execute a strategy to expand the existing customer base, currently in 5 countries to 15 countries. And use my IT expertise to optimize processes like ERP systems, etc (which are currently not present).

Long term goals: Become one of the world leaders in the $20 billion "specialty industrial valves" with presence in all 38 countries. Develop "smart valves" which have better efficiency, better life and higher performance, which will lead to lower running costs for steel plants, power plants, oil and gas refineries etc, thus saving billions of dollars of the world economy in the long run.

Does this sound like a connected and believable goal strategy?

Thanks for all your help!
I really appreciate it! :-)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Coaching
Send PM
anibjoshi wrote:

Does this sound like a coherent world-conquering pitch?

Again, thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it :-)

It does : )

All the best.

Regards,
Jeff
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Looks fine. Though, anything audacious merits some explanation as to how you're uniquely positioned to achieve it.

Second, whatever you're mentioning, don't forget the overarching issue of why you want to pursue an MBA. Your goals, especially short-term, should derive some value from an MBA program.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing your profile. You have a solid profile and your career plans are decently aligned. I think Kellogg, Stanford will be really tough as well as Haas. I think the key for you is to identify elements of your profile that stand out from the masses. You come from a competitive applicant pool so just being good enough won't cut it with the schools you are applying to
Non-Human User
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot