Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: HELP! How do I increase my score from 420? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Positivethoughtsonly,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define what went wrong on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day.

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, taking them at different times, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials.

1) When do the two Programs expect you to have an Official GMAT Score?
2) Do you know what an 'acceptable' Score would be?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HELP! How do I increase my score from 420? [#permalink]
Hi Rich,

Thank you for your comments... I just didn't expect such a HUGE drop: can this all really be because the way I practiced was different than the exam environment? I don't know if I can attribute that much to the environment/the GMAT 'event'.

I need the dates by the end of the year, programs begin in February 2016 (the school didn't give me a deadline but I should probably look into it). Ideally I want to rewrite within 1-1.5 months, do you think that's realistic? What materials should I invest in? I really just need a focused schedule that will allow me to study smart, stay on task and achieve my goals.

I need a minimum score of 600. I've been aiming for that, but fell short clearly.

Thanks for your help!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Positivethoughtsonly,

From what you described about your CATs, it doesn't sound like you took ANY of them in a realistic fashion. There are lots of little 'details' about Test Day that you CAN prepare for, but that didn't appear to happen during your studies. Ignoring one or two of those details might not impact your scores much (if at all), but the sheer number of differences that you described are noteworthy - and they do impact Test Takers' performance. On the 570, seeing repeat questions changed your score results, stress levels, pacing, etc. - and all of these factors led to an 'inflated' score. This is one of the reasons why it's important to take a "new" CAT each time.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you "need the dates by the end of the year"; are you referring needing an Official Score? For Programs that start in February, I would expect that the Schools will have 'locked in' their groups of incoming students at least a couple of months in advance. As such, I agree that having a GMAT score sooner rather than later would be a good idea.

Using this Official Score (420) as the 'baseline', you need to improve 180+ points to hit your score goal. That is not likely to happen in 1 month. Since you've put in some work already, you might be able to do it in 2 months though.

1) Going forward, how much time do you think you can commit to your studies each week?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
HELP! How do I increase my score from 420? [#permalink]
Kudos
We are living in the world, where dumb people speak, genius people keep silence ;)

Originally posted by mrslee on 27 Sep 2015, 11:52.
Last edited by mrslee on 27 Sep 2015, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Allow me to clarify about the 'dates', that was a mistake, but I need my scores by the end of the year MAX, yes I would assume they want it sooner than later since the official start date is February 2016. I'm hoping to rewrite mid-end of November.

I start a full-time job tomorrow, so Mon-Fri 8-5 pm will be booked for work. I'm planning to set aside 2 hours during the work week, and 5 hours on Sat and 5 hours on Sunday (total 20-25 hours a week).

Few questions:
- Where do I get new CATs? I've only used the GMAT software ones. Do you recommend specific ones? Do they allow us to purchase more?
- I'm working on a new strategy and study plan for the next while. What should I include? Where do I start?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Positivethoughtsonly,

GMAC offers two additional CATs that you can purchase (as part of the Exam Pack). You can also purchase 'blocks' of CATs from MGMAT, Veritas and Kaplan.

Since you're putting together a new study plan, you're going to need an established routine and consistent guidance. I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, so the time commitment wouldn't be that bad. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
it sounds like you were doing the same tests repeatedly. Your rationale that you "thought through" each question is not really valid. I think your practice test of 570 was misleading.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts