Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Anderson or Ross

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Weather --> definitely Anderson.
Cost of living --> Ross
Entrepreneurship --> tie? check the ZLI at Ross before cutting corners and concluding that Anderson's best coz it's West Coast or sth.
General Management --> definitely Ross.

Disclaimer: I've been admitted to Ross and have not applied to Anderson.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Re: Help me choose: Anderson or Ross [#permalink]
E-ship -> Anderson. It is at the core of their program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok..maybe a stupid question...but..

How does a school have a particular strenght in "Entrepreneurship"...wouldn't this be entirely up to the individual? How does one program do better than another program in this regard?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ive heard hte Ross entrepreneurship area is one of the best in the world... so i voted ross.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
For e-ship Anderson wins hands down. For management, Ross wins comfortably.

Anderson was the first school to establish an e-ship centre (Price Centre) which served as a model of other schools. The Entrepreneurship Association on campus is the largest club at Anderson with more than 50% of the class actively involved. Lot of the students end up working in startups in favour of traditional employers.

If you want to do general management /consulting in the long run, pick Ross.

rhyme wrote:
Ive heard hte Ross entrepreneurship area is one of the best in the world... so i voted ross.

Originally posted by lhotseface on 15 Mar 2007, 23:52.
Last edited by lhotseface on 16 Mar 2007, 00:08, edited 4 times in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Access to capital, university's research for business ideas, other like-minded students intersted in becoming business partners, business plan contest, faculty who are themselves successful entrepreneurs, alumni who are entrepreneurs and who help evaluate business pitches to venture capitalists.....

I can go on..but you get the idea.

amorica wrote:
Ok..maybe a stupid question...but..

How does a school have a particular strenght in "Entrepreneurship"...wouldn't this be entirely up to the individual? How does one program do better than another program in this regard?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you all for participating.

It will take a few week for me to decide. Many people here say that Anderson's E-ship (AMR) is the best, but Ross seems to have excellent program (MAP) also. From reading on the school websites, both AMR and MAP seems very similar...

I got another question? What about E-Ship Program at Babson and MIT? Why are they highly rate by US News?

ghibi!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Southern California >>>>>>>>>> the Midwest.

I can say that 'cause I've lived both places. Think about where you want to be employed afterwards, remembering that both schools have Wall Street I-Banks recruiting.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
xixtrays wrote:

I can say that 'cause I've lived both places. Think about where you want to be employed afterwards, remembering that both schools have Wall Street I-Banks recruiting.

I really want to live in Cali, but UCLA does not have much representation on Wall St. It's a great school, but a regional school.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I really want to live in Cali, but UCLA does not have much representation on Wall St. It's a great school, but a regional school.[/quote]

The NYC banks come and recruit from ALL of the best business schools. Obviously you are better positioned if you are at Columbia or Wharton. UCLA is regional in all other businesses - pretty much.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
xixtrays wrote:

I really want to live in Cali, but UCLA does not have much representation on Wall St. It's a great school, but a regional school.

It may be regional to a certain extent, but you mention UCLA to any of my Japanese clients and their complexion changes. The (B)school sure does seem to have clout throughout the PacRim.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would say that UCLA seems more regional, but it might be more a result of students getting accustomed to the LA weather and lifestyle and deciding to stay. In other words, I think that opportunities are pretty similar, but the people at UCLA go there because they want to be in LA, and stay there because they like it there. On the other hand, Ross is obviously a great school, but I think that few people actually choose to stay for work in Detroit, so their students are more widely distributed.

I will say from personal experience that Ann Arbor and Westwood are both great places to go to school, but they offer totally different experiences.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I would say that UCLA seems more regional, but it might be more a result of students getting accustomed to the LA weather and lifestyle and deciding to stay. In other words, I think that opportunities are pretty similar, but the people at UCLA go there because they want to be in LA, and stay there because they like it there.

That's an interesting take on the reasoning (probably true esp w/the Ross comparison), but it supports the statement that UCLA is a regional school.

Am I incorrect in thinking that the determining factor whether a school is regional or national is the alumni network? So the reason why grads stay in a region is inconsequential compared with whether they actually do or spread out nationally. Of course, I'm assuming work production being comparable.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
The terms national or regional are not absolute. To me, the key difference is not where alumni are located, but rather the access that a school provides. For example, Stanford is known to send a lot of its grads right down the street to jobs in Palo Alto, Menlo Park, San Jose, etc.; however Stanford grads could get jobs in any market that they want.

That's the point I was trying to make with UCLA and Michigan. I believe the grads from each school have relatively equal access to jobs. Certainly UCLA has the advantage out West, while Michigan is better connected in the Midwest and East, but I don't think the fact that many UCLA grads remain in California means that their students are limited to jobs in the region. To me, UCLA and Michigan are equally national for most concerns.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you all for participating. Right now I'm leaning toward Ross myself. It seems to be a better school for general management and equally good in Entrepreneurship with Anderson. Location wise, I'm indifferent because I equally enjoy the snow and the sun. And Anderson's drop in lastest US News ranking seems to make my decision easier...

ghibi!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Your decision is your own, but I would not base it on one publication's rankings. Did you visit both schools?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
xix,

I haven't visited any school I applied because I'm in Asia Pacific. Nevertheless, I have studied at UCLA summer school before I go to college, so I get the feel of the campus. It's surely a great place, but I also like the Northeast small town feel of Ann Arbor, which should be pretty similar to where I went for undergrad.

So far I have talked to 2 UCLA alum (one was the interviewer), and 4 current student at Ross (one was also the interviewer), and they all love their schools. It's a tough decision choosing between the two, and even GMAT Clubber are split 60/40 in this poll!

ghibi!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]