Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Help me decide: UCLA vs. Duke [#permalink]
It looks like UCLA is the best choice based on your goals.

However, if you really do feel a connection with Duke and are looking for a legitimate example of how Duke's resources can help you achieve your goals, it is my job as a biased Dukie to let you know that Fuqua's Media, Entertainment and Sports Club (MES) is top-notch. MES is the biggest and best, by vote (as recent as last year and could repeat this year), club on campus. The support group is incredible, and the size of the network in the industry is on an upswing.

Congrats on your two great admits, and all the best as you make your decision!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
To get benefit of location for tech sector in valley, you need to be in either Berkeley or Stanford.
Being at UCLA or Duke shouldn't matter much. I know number of people who went to Duke or UCLA and
landed good jobs in tech sector in valley.

Going to either school won't break anything for you short-term. IMO, Duke shall help long term considering
their national reputation if you later decide to do something else.

But, program wise I don't have much of the information on both schools, so my suggestion is go to the school which you think has stronger program to prepare you towards your career goals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Apple's CEO (Tim Cook) went to Duke and there is an article in poets n quants that says Duke was Apple's #1 employer over H/S/W. So not sure that means a lot to you but is notable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
you should go to UCLA. it makes it easier for you in case you have to do off-campus recruiting. most people are assuming that any company you want to work for will recruit on campus, which is not necessarily the case (especially in the world of start-ups).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Definately would go with UCLA if your goal is west cost, I believe Duke exposure to the west coast market from employment reports show 5-10% representation compared to UCLAs 60%+ so the network would definately be in your favor with UCLA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I also agree that UCLA will be a good fit for you, especially if it helps in reducing the costs associated with pursuing an MBA. Since UCLA, has most of the things that will help you advance in your career, that will be a more suitable choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I think Duke has greater national recognition... but UCLA has stronger California presence. Also, the vibe and culture is probably different at both schools. For instance, even the MBA program at USC has a very different vibe from UCLA. Where do you think you'll get better alumni support down the road? Both schools could offer similar opportunities first job out of the MBA program, but I would also consider how close knit and strong the alumni network is.... for future opportunities.

I also wanted to add that you probably shouldn't consider cost of living. It's only a 2 year program anyway :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
I think it makes a lot of sense for you to attend UCLA over Duke.

I'm currently a first year student at UCLA Anderson and I'm going to be interning at a prominent tech company over the summer.

I have a pretty odd background in that I used to work as an Economist at a government agency but I know that my UCLA Anderson brand name definitely helped me to land interviews.

Ultimately, in the interviewing room, it doesn't matter whether you are from University of Phoenix or HBS. But I know that the UCLA Anderson brand name did help a lot.

That's not to say that Duke won't help to get interviews but I cannot say that myself definitely as I have never attended the business school there. 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Not sure if you made your decision yet. I was at UCLA ugrad and will be at Duke MBA starting this fall. The only thing that UCLA has as an advantage based on your items is its current location. Duke's program will allow you to break into the start-up scene/silicon valley area. I think you need to figure out what is more important to you. Ties into the valley or ability to work in a tech start up. The tech start up scene is growing in the Northeast and in Durham itself. I think the Duke brand has a slight advantage over UCLA when it comes to a National understanding, so for that reason it might help you reach start ups that are outside of the Valley.

With that said I am a Bruin First and its a great place to be for any amount of time and we just got Tony Parker to round out the best recruiting class since basketball ability matters in the MBA world.

I think you are in a win win situation, just go with the gut and enjoy the ride. Best of Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
UCLA gives you a lot more access to Tech companies in the Bay Area through alumni and networking opportunities... I would suggest UCLA
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts