GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 09:08

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Help need, aiming for 650 - non-native english struggling 9 months

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Help need, aiming for 650 - non-native english struggling 9 months  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 09:20
Hi everyone, some help needed here please. I don’t know how to improve my score, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Been 9 months since I started this crusade to get a decent score, aiming for 650 at least.

Let me tell you about my background, my approaching strategy for studying, and other relevant facts so you can judge or advise me.

Background: Average student, 27 years old, non-native English speaker (Spanish first language), lawyer degree, 3-4 years of professional experience (in financial corporate law firms), with a GPA of 8.5 over 10 or 3.4 over 4.

I work full time from 9am to 7-8pm.

Study Material:
OG 2018
OG Verbal 2018
OG Quant 2018
Veritas books (all of them Quant and Verbal books)
Manhattan Foundations of Verbal
Manhattan Sentence Correction
Manhattan Reading Comprehension

Experience:
I started classes with a tutor in January 2018, by that time I didn’t know even how to manipulate a square root, lots of loops in quant, limited vocabulary, etc. After months pass by and continuous practice, I improve significantly, however not enough for 650.

GMAC 1 21-Mar 420 Incomplete
GMAC 2 27-Mar 450 Incomplete
GMAC 1 12-May 490 Incomplete
Economist 1 12-May 420 Incomplete
Veritas 1 13-May 510 Incomplete
Manhattan 1 20-May 460 In a rush-verbal
Veritas 2 26-May 630 41 35 In a rush-verbal
Princeton 27-May 500 35 25 antes de tiempo
GMAC 1 29-Jul 520 37 24 complete
GMAC2 4-Aug 540 37 28 In a rush-verbal
GMAC 1 18-Aug 540 40 25 Incomplete

Study Approach:

I regularly study weekly 1:30 hours in the morning practicing with multiple random questions from the question bank of the OG or PG verbal or OG Quant (I use the Wiley online app). At work I find some spaces to review my mistakes and write them down on an error log to keep track of them. At night at least 3 times a week I review 1-2 hours concepts and do a few exercises I have problems with.
Weekends I study 4-5 hours a day.

My error log marks out that my must common mistakes, among others, are:
Verbal: I am weak at RC (inference questions primary), CR (at boldface and when there are various similar wordy answers), SC its fine.
Quant: I am weak at DS (primary questions regarding venn diagrams and some properties of numbers) and at PS with wordy questions (generally the answer of such questions will be a simple math operation but the question is written so wordy and confuse that I don’t get it).

I also struggle with the time of the exam in the verbal section, I spent too much time in RC and CR, looking and analyzing the argument and answers. I tend to decrease my accuracy when doing prep test drastically at the middle ¾ of the verbal section and that has a strong negative impact in my score.

I don’t know how to improve to get the score needed for my target school.

Any recommendations? Some advise? any comment is welcome!!

I appoint myself to an GMAT exam on late December 2018.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Booth '21, CBS '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GRE 1: Q164 V162
GPA: 3.85
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: Help need, aiming for 650 - non-native english struggling 9 months  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 02:37
emilianopf91 wrote:
Hi everyone, some help needed here please. I don’t know how to improve my score, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Been 9 months since I started this crusade to get a decent score, aiming for 650 at least.

Let me tell you about my background, my approaching strategy for studying, and other relevant facts so you can judge or advise me.

Background: Average student, 27 years old, non-native English speaker (Spanish first language), lawyer degree, 3-4 years of professional experience (in financial corporate law firms), with a GPA of 8.5 over 10 or 3.4 over 4.

I work full time from 9am to 7-8pm.

Study Material:
OG 2018
OG Verbal 2018
OG Quant 2018
Veritas books (all of them Quant and Verbal books)
Manhattan Foundations of Verbal
Manhattan Sentence Correction
Manhattan Reading Comprehension

Experience:
I started classes with a tutor in January 2018, by that time I didn’t know even how to manipulate a square root, lots of loops in quant, limited vocabulary, etc. After months pass by and continuous practice, I improve significantly, however not enough for 650.

GMAC 1 21-Mar 420 Incomplete
GMAC 2 27-Mar 450 Incomplete
GMAC 1 12-May 490 Incomplete
Economist 1 12-May 420 Incomplete
Veritas 1 13-May 510 Incomplete
Manhattan 1 20-May 460 In a rush-verbal
Veritas 2 26-May 630 41 35 In a rush-verbal
Princeton 27-May 500 35 25 antes de tiempo
GMAC 1 29-Jul 520 37 24 complete
GMAC2 4-Aug 540 37 28 In a rush-verbal
GMAC 1 18-Aug 540 40 25 Incomplete

Study Approach:

I regularly study weekly 1:30 hours in the morning practicing with multiple random questions from the question bank of the OG or PG verbal or OG Quant (I use the Wiley online app). At work I find some spaces to review my mistakes and write them down on an error log to keep track of them. At night at least 3 times a week I review 1-2 hours concepts and do a few exercises I have problems with.
Weekends I study 4-5 hours a day.

My error log marks out that my must common mistakes, among others, are:
Verbal: I am weak at RC (inference questions primary), CR (at boldface and when there are various similar wordy answers), SC its fine.
Quant: I am weak at DS (primary questions regarding venn diagrams and some properties of numbers) and at PS with wordy questions (generally the answer of such questions will be a simple math operation but the question is written so wordy and confuse that I don’t get it).

I also struggle with the time of the exam in the verbal section, I spent too much time in RC and CR, looking and analyzing the argument and answers. I tend to decrease my accuracy when doing prep test drastically at the middle ¾ of the verbal section and that has a strong negative impact in my score.

I don’t know how to improve to get the score needed for my target school.

Any recommendations? Some advise? any comment is welcome!!

I appoint myself to an GMAT exam on late December 2018.

Hello, it seems to me that you are missing basic concepts. I would suggest to list your mistakes from past tests and work on those areas. Also, do not disregard the questions you answered correctly. Analyze them too whether you got it for correct reasons. Good luck
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help need, aiming for 650 - non-native english struggling 9 months &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 02:37

Help need, aiming for 650 - non-native english struggling 9 months

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap