Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: Help on profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
anandchimp wrote:
Hi,

I am a Product Manager at a reputed Indian Tech Startup (a unicorn- funded by Google). My GMAT is 760 (Q50, V41).
BTech in Metallurgy from a regionally well-known college (nationally/internationally not much known) with extremely average academics (7.5 CGPA on a scale of 10).
My objective for doing MBA is to get an MFAANG Product role. Looking forward to applying in the coming year of 2022-23.
My only issue is that my age will be 31 while applying. My total experience will be 8 years 7 months.

I have these questions:
1. In general I know my age is more than average. But just want to know if even applying would make sense (since I come from a heavily over-represented cohort).
2. If yes- which schools should I look out for?

Hi anandchimp,

To evaluate your profile, the first thing that I would like to address is the fact that your GMAT score of 760 is an excellent score which will allow you to target most of the top-tier B-schools. Having said that, you need not worry about your average GPA since for an MBA program, more emphasis is laid on your work experience and your latest GMAT score.

Coming to your work experience, your stint at Unicorn can act as a differentiating factor in your profile thus making you stand out from the rest of the applicant pool. Moreover, you can enhance your work experience, by highlighting the kind of projects you spearheaded, the impacts you created and the overall skills you gained throughout the eight years of your professional career. Most importantly, you should highlight any managerial role that you undertook during your work experience, since MBA is a managerial degree and having any kind of relevant experience in this field would work in your favour.

Furthermore, your participation in extracurricular activities is equally important as it showcases the holistic side of your personality which is something that is very much valued by most B-schools. Since you haven't mentioned any details regarding the same, I would suggest that you take up a few CSR activities in your company along with any certification course to showcase your consistent efforts to upskill yourself and be in sync with the latest updates in relevant fields.

Speaking of your concerns regarding your age, I would like to let you know that age is just a miniscule factor wherein the quality and extent of your work experience is what is really taken into consideration for an MBA admission. In this regard, with 8.5 years of work experience you stand at par with the kind of competition you will face and since MBA is a managerial degree, the more work experience you have, the more attractive your application will be. Moreover, you have mentioned that you hail from a very over-represented cohort which is something that you should not worry about because the primary focus of these B-schools is on the uniqueness of your profile which can be showcased through your application.

Coming to the schools that you can target, I would suggest that you hedge your bets wisely by targeting a good mix of 6-8 dream and competitive category schools.
In the dream category (where your chances of acceptance is 50-60%) you could look at schools such as, HEC Paris, LBS, Wharton, NYU and INSEAD.
In the competitive category (where your chances of acceptance is 60-70%) you could consider schools such as, ESSEC, ESCP, FSFM, WHU, Duke and Michigan.

All things considered, you definitely possess a well-groomed profile which you can utilize to the best of your abilities by crafting an equally strong application to increase your chances of acceptance. Your application (comprising your resume, LORs, and Essays) is what differentiates you by highlighting your strengths and overshadowing your weaknesses. Additionally, it also carries a 30% impact on your admission prospects which is why I would urge you to pay more attention to the same.

That said, if you are on the fence on how to draft an impactful application, you can check out our All-in-one service which is a complete end to end consulting process aimed at providing personalized application suggestions, unlimited edits and expert consultants who would constantly be there to help you throughout your application journey! This end to end consulting service also encompasses assistance for scholarship essays, loans, visas and most importantly the interview preparation.

We have helped 3500+ applicants get into the top B-schools with a 95% success rate. So what are you waiting for? Just click on the link below to find out how you could boost your chances of acceptance by at least 3X!

Below is the link to our All in One service:

https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help on profile [#permalink]