Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: **HELP - Stuck at 590** [#permalink]
Hi Rich,

Thanks for takin a minute to comment on my situation. My specific goal is to get a 650 at the very least. I will take the real test over again if I don't get at least a 650. That being said, if I spend $1500-$2000 more money on a GMAT Tutor, I will want to gain 50-100 points... A 690 or 700 score would be awesome!

I do have the ability to push back my test. But my last really opportunity is the week of November 1. In addition, I just started 2 night classes this week which will be eating into my study time, which is why I scheduled my test for 10/10.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi RRodney,

With a 590, you're actually closer to hitting 650+ than you realize. Your self-analysis has pointed out a significant 'issue' with your work though - little mistakes. A tutor isn't necessarily going to 'fix' that for you. However, in almost all cases, the 'solution' is to take more notes and NOT do work in your head. In these last 10 days or so, you should really focus on the 'precision' in your work - don't worry about 'hard' questions (if you can't answer the 'gettable' questions correctly, then the harder questions really don't matter).

Given what you described, you seem comfortable with the idea that you may have to retest. As such, you should take your current GMAT as planned. If you don't score high enough, then you can always retake the GMAT later.

As an aside though, you really don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a tutor to raise your scores 50-100 points. There are far easier (and less expensive) ways to do it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
**HELP - Stuck at 590** [#permalink]
For me, classroom learning is the least effective and one on one tutors are the most effective only it if you have targeted problematic areas (i.e. not quant, but rather combinatorics or 600+ geometry)....however quality material + a little bit of time alone to rationalize the underlying concepts of what your're learning can sometimes work wonders. Everyone is different. Good luck.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
RRodney wrote:
But I guess I can't think well enough during the test. The pressure gets to me and I'm tempted to just guess.
Do you have a time management strategy in place? Something like "I'll get through the first 10 questions in less than 20 minutes"?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks to all your responses, I have decided to go ahead and take the test on Sat (10/10) and just be committed to taking it again in 4 weeks.
During that 4 weeks I will see about a tutor, but focus on creating an error log and try to identify why I get the questions wrong.
Basically, I guess I will just study more and take some advise from the GMAT Club message boards.

Any more specific strategies you can think of?

As far as time management, I really only look at the half way point and see how far off i am. What is a better strategy?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
RRodney wrote:
As far as time management, I really only look at the half way point and see how far off i am. What is a better strategy?
You could check after the 10th, 20th, and 30th questions. Worrying about or trying to calculate the time left after every question actually wastes time, and checking the timer just once during the entire test is probably not going to give you enough control over your timing. We can't stop ourselves from taking a quick look at the timer every now and then, but this is more about when we actually take a few seconds to ask ourselves how fast we need to work through the next set of questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts