GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 05:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Help - Take the offer or re-apply???

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Help - Take the offer or re-apply???  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 18:47
Hi all,

Would love some feedback - debating on taking an offer or re-applying

I'm 28 - looking for a career change - not exactly sure what
I got $$$ to my "fit" school but I'm not sure if I should just re-apply and aim for a better program (it's top 40 but not top 25)

Background - 3.2 GPA
Accounting Major
CPA
Tons of diversity work/extra-curricular experiences
Work at an I-bank
GMAT 610
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 19:04
chs08008 wrote:
looking for a career change - not exactly sure what

Do you have some idea of what your career goals may be?

chs08008 wrote:
I got $$$ to my "fit" school but I'm not sure if I should just re-apply and aim for a better program (it's top 40 but not top 25)

By fit do you mean hometown? Is this program where you ultimately want to live/work?

A full-ride (or close to) at a top 40 program program can be a great outcome depending on what you want your degree for, and where you want to live. That said, as a CPA with 5+ years of WE, and a lot of room for improvement on the GMAT, you definitely have the potential to get admitted to some top programs next cycle if you really want to pursue them and have compelling reasons to do so.

Since you seem unsure what you want from an MBA program at this moment in time, if I were you, I would not matriculate now, I would work hard to add 100 points to my GMAT score, and I would try to figure out in the coming months exactly why/where/how/what I would want from an MBA program, and then re-apply next cycle.

Good luck with the decision!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Help - Take the offer or re-apply???  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 04:40
I have been thinking about real-estate or management consulting - I'm really all over the place

I really want my mba to expand my network and make me more marketable for jobs down the road - adding a new skillset will help me with that too
Originally I wanted to go top 25 - but I could save a lot of money by taking this offer - just worried about the brand of the school

Obviously money is a consideration too

By fit I mean I fit within their range of GMAT and GPA - the school is in NY so I'd still end up on the east coast which I prefer
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 05:03
With your work experience, and 100 points more on the GMAT, you could be looking at top 15 (maybe top 25 with a lot of money). I say do more research about management consulting/other areas so you know (at least vaguely) what you want to do. And also study for the GMAT. If you think your school will get you where you want, it's fine but you don't seem to know what you want. Also, I don't think top 40 school is going to get you to MC (at least top firms). MC is tough (definitely doable) even at top 15 schools from what current students tell me.
Is deferring an option? I guess in case your GMAT doesn't improve, then at least deferring would be good but not sure if you can keep the scholarship.
GMAT Club Bot
Help - Take the offer or re-apply???   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2019, 05:03

Help - Take the offer or re-apply???

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch