GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 18:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HELP: Trying to figure out what degree I need for my career interests

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
HELP: Trying to figure out what degree I need for my career interests  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 14:10
Hey guys! I was hoping you would be able to help me figure some things out. I'm a young professional in DC, with a BA in International Studies and minor in Anthropology. Throughout my undergraduated career I interned at various DC development based NGOs, worked in case management for the International Rescue Committee as well as did other volunteer work related to the refugee crisis. I then went on to serve as a Youth Development Volunteer with the Peace Corps. I'm currently in the process of figuring out what's next, and I'm particularly interested in making a switch to corporate. I'm intrigued by corporate social responsibility, as well as financial inclusion and womens entreperneurship. If you guys have any ideas as to what degree programs or schools I should be looking into it, please pass that information over my way! I was looking at a few programs that would allow me to get a joint degree in Business and International Development, but if you guys have more information that would be even better :) Thanks!
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: HELP: Trying to figure out what degree I need for my career interests  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 20:32
I had a client who had a very similar background and wanted to get an MBA but I insisted that he do some research and he discovered that it was probably not the best choice, and a few years down the road he ended up going to Georgetown for public policy. I think I saved him a lot of money. I think you should do the same - research the job that you intend to have or several of the jobs that interest you – doing informational interviews is the key to this completely. nothing makes me crazier than people who hope wish and guess at what they want and make decisions without really knowing if that job is a fit for them. that whole thing can be ameliorated by talking with people who are doing the thing. Once you figure out what you want to be doing then think about the education you need and these people you speak with will help you better understand what makes sense. It's called ready aim fire rather than ready fire aim.

eliseyeri wrote:
Hey guys! I was hoping you would be able to help me figure some things out. I'm a young professional in DC, with a BA in International Studies and minor in Anthropology. Throughout my undergraduated career I interned at various DC development based NGOs, worked in case management for the International Rescue Committee as well as did other volunteer work related to the refugee crisis. I then went on to serve as a Youth Development Volunteer with the Peace Corps. I'm currently in the process of figuring out what's next, and I'm particularly interested in making a switch to corporate. I'm intrigued by corporate social responsibility, as well as financial inclusion and womens entreperneurship. If you guys have any ideas as to what degree programs or schools I should be looking into it, please pass that information over my way! I was looking at a few programs that would allow me to get a joint degree in Business and International Development, but if you guys have more information that would be even better :) Thanks!

Re: HELP: Trying to figure out what degree I need for my career interests   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2019, 20:32

HELP: Trying to figure out what degree I need for my career interests

new topic post reply Update application status