Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Send PM
Re: HIMALAYA, LEXI, MATT, TEHCM, VIVEK, DUTTSIT and others- SOS [#permalink]
Agree with Matt,

Using and improving strategies for SC's is the best way, beside practicing, to improve your CR'S and RC's. With additional time in the latter you can paraphrase more accurately.

However "strategy" isn't meant to be a strict and unflexibel approach to each SC, en contrary that can cause too much confusion in lots of hard questions.

For CR's and RC's I don't know any advice other than carefully reading and reasoning. If you have additional time for them you should be able to paraphrase the stem correctly and find the choice that fits.

Hope this will help.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
Hey Parmender,

I agree with all.

It's all about practice. First of all one needs to be CALM & COOL, while dealing with GMAT verbal, I used have a problem that I used to 'read' SC or CR but my mind used to be somewhere else, but now I'm improved a bit & able to concentrate. I would tend to disagree that strategies given in the KAPLAN or PR work well, it depends on person to person, some people find it useful & others (like me) don't find it useful.

From the way you told, it looks like you are not able to concentrate, "kahin pe nigaahe kahin pe nishaana" (it means, "eyes on one thing & aim at other thing") type. Work on concentration.

Jinesh, was telling me that he is practicing meditation, not wrong, you can try it, if this is the problem...

Finally, even if you fail do not give up, person improves day by day, keep faith (Paul told me this :)) & know that you are going to hit 100% soon.
Also, participate in discussions, don't worry even if your explanation is wrong, everybody here is to learn :)

Cheers dude, never give up!

By the way MATT,
You are no doubt a perfect person to advice, scoring low in one GMAT doesn't show your real potential. In fact, it was not your score :) We all have learnt a lot from you!
MATT's score will come out soon...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Send PM
I have problem on "answer biasing". It is like while scanning ACs I find one that resounds - A-ha in my mind. I feel I hit the jackpot. The other side of this is that I tend to have perfunctory view on "remaining" ACs. This is mistake.

The key is to know: "Why other ACs are incorrect. Solid reason for each of them."
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Thanks a lot guys. Let me work on your suggestions. I will surely share my exprience with you after a couple of weeks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
I became a regular member recently and RC/CR don't seem to be my problem areas. I gave the GRE 6 years ago and sucked at RC a few months before the exam.

I read a book "Reading Better and Faster" then. It resulted in a life long habit of reading fast while grasping the content. I read a lot and I would really recommend reading the Economist regularly. Even though it is is a british publication, it's diction has helped me a lot.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
ps_dahiya wrote:
Guys, I have a hit ratio of 2:3 in verbal. I think this is not enough for a good score. Could you guys suggest some strategies to improve this. I tried strategies of KAP and PR but when I am reading CRs or RCs, I can't remember what are the strategies. I almost always unable to paraphrase the answer and this costs me time. Please help.

ps_dahiya,

i agree with Matt and others above. he has properly answered to your question too. imo, the best strategy is practice. more practice makes your famalier with the questions..

himalaya
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
vivek123 wrote:

By the way MATT,
You are no doubt a perfect person to advice, scoring low in one GMAT doesn't show your real potential. In fact, it was not your score :) We all have learnt a lot from you!
MATT's score will come out soon...

Thanx Vivek! Your comments have really inspired me to stand up again and face the beast eye to eye. :war

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Verbal Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
654 posts
Current Student
733 posts
Current Student
278 posts