Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:39 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619893 [3]
Given Kudos: 81626
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64985 [5]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [2]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72919 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
­Historian: In a territorial dispute in the mid-1700's, Ulmias navy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Not sure I am following your train of thought. Sorry. Why do you think that we need to show that only Ulmia s ships using the Crinica s port?

I would assume they would set Ulmia’s ships on fire if they were in the port. Not sure if that’s a valid assumption… usually a blockade would mean they prevent ships from leaving or coming.

In this case they were capturing the other parties ships which isn’t very nice. That would be basically stealing. I don’t think the answer is B

I think the answer would have to do with a couple possible directions:
1. The data is somehow misinterpreted such as capture is not the perfect indicator or capture is not a good measure because some ships may not have been captured but would turned away
2. There’s additional data
3. Something else that flips the whole argument upside down. I think maybe you were going for something like this.

The only choice that kind of sort of comes close is E. However, I’m not loving it really.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
­Historian: In a territorial dispute in the mid-1700's, Ulmias navy [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO Answer is (C)

We need to find an answer choice that weakens the historian’s interpretation of the data that the blockade wasn’t critical because only 1 out of 6 merchant ships were captured.

In my opinion, only answer (C) resolves that, albeit in a roundabout way. Considering only a relatively small proportion of Crinica’s overseas trade was with Ulmia before the blockade, from answer C we can infer over the course of the blockade the proportion of trade increased for the remaining 5 out of 6 ships not captured were the ones actually conducting trade with Ulmia.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: ­Historian: In a territorial dispute in the mid-1700's, Ulmias navy [#permalink]
Can someone provide the correct answer here please. Btw, I go for E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: ­Historian: In a territorial dispute in the mid-1700's, Ulmias navy [#permalink]
I chose c,but it can't be the answer because c strengthen the quantitive data.
E can be correct as it has been given that
Ulmia’s navy sought to capture merchant shipping entering and leaving Crinica’s ports for 4 years... The given quantitative data might be representing the number of ships captured during these 4 years.
E says that
The number of ships captured each month increased sharply in the latter stages ( doesn't mean that given 4 years include the number of ships captured in the latter stages)
of the blockade as Ulmia greatly expanded its blockade force.

This is what I understand.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
E is my answer , with low confidence level to be honest

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Hi KarishmaB ,

I have question about  your explanation on option D . I have kept the portion highlighted.
The option is talking about Ulmia's trade but in your explanation you talked Crinica's trade. 
I find it intriguing. 
KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
­Historian: In a territorial dispute in the mid-1700's, Ulmia’s navy sought to capture merchant shipping entering and leaving Crinica’s ports for four years until the dispute was resolved in Ulmia’s favor. It has been assumed that this blockade was crucial to the outcome, but quantitative data refute this assumption: analysis of shipping records shows that over the course of the blockade, only one in six merchant ships attempting to enter or leave Crinican ports were actually captured by Ulmia.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the historian’s interpretation of the data?

A. Crinica had no means of preventing Ulmia from blockading its ports.
B. Prior to the blockade, the vast majority of ships entering or leaving Crinica's ports were owned by residents of Crinica itself.
C. Only a relatively small proportion of Crinica’s overseas trade was with Ulmia prior to the blockade.
D. The volume of Ulmia’s overseas trade with countries other than Crinica was not significantly affected during the period of the blockade.
E. The number of ships captured each month increased sharply in the latter stages of the blockade as Ulmia greatly expanded its blockade force.

Blockade of a port means ships are not allowed to enter or leave. We are given that merchant ships were not allowed to enter or leave and it is believed that this forced Crinica to resolve the dispute (whatever it was) in favour of Ulmia.  

But the historian claims that only 1 in 6 merchant ships were captured. So the blockade had only a 16% impact (and hence may not have been the reason that forced Crinica to give in)

We need to weaken the historian's conclusion (that blackade was not the reason) so we have to show that the blockade could have put pressure on Crinica to resolve the issue in Ulmia's favour. 

Whether Crinica had means or did not have, doesn't matter. We know that 1 in 6 merchant ships were captured and hence the impact of the blockade was limited. No reason to say that the. histroian may be wrong. 

B. Prior to the blockade, the vast majority of ships entering or leaving Crinica's ports were owned by residents of Crinica itself.

We are talking about merchant ships. Whether those merchants were Crinica's residents or others, doesn't matter. Who the ships belonged to, we don't care. 

C. Only a relatively small proportion of Crinica’s overseas trade was with Ulmia prior to the blockade.

What proportion of Crinica's trade was with Ulmia before the blockade, doesn't matter. In fact, we don't know and don't care how much was it during the blockade too. We don't know what the dispute was. All we know is that Ulmia was blocking Crinica's merchant ships. Where were those ships headed, we don't care. 

D. The volume of Ulmia’s overseas trade with countries other than Crinica was not significantly affected during the period of the blockade.

This doesn't weaken the historian's conclusion. In fact, it supports it in a way. If trade was not significantly affected, then Crinica would not have been under pressure to give in due to the blockade. Hence it makes sense that the blockade would not have been the reason for the outcome.

E. The number of ships captured each month increased sharply in the latter stages of the blockade as Ulmia greatly expanded its blockade force.

If this is true, then the historian's logic doesn't make sense. Over the course of the blockade, on average only 1 in 6 ships were captured but what if the frequency of capture increased over time. 

e.g. in the 1st year, only 1% ships were captured. 
In the second year, only 4% were captured. 
In the third year, only 10% were captured.
In the last year, the percentage kept increasing till EVERY ship was captured as the 4th year came to an end. This put pressure on Crinica and hence Crinica gave in. 
This could have given us an overall 16% ships captured over the 4 years, a number that doesn't seem to be huge but the pressure was much lower in the initial years and increased substantially in the later stages. 

Answer (E)
­

­
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64985 [1]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sayan640 wrote:
Hi KarishmaB ,

I have question about  your explanation on option D . I have kept the portion highlighted.
The option is talking about Ulmia's trade but in your explanation you talked Crinica's trade. 
I find it intriguing. 
KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
­Historian: In a territorial dispute in the mid-1700's, Ulmia’s navy sought to capture merchant shipping entering and leaving Crinica’s ports for four years until the dispute was resolved in Ulmia’s favor. It has been assumed that this blockade was crucial to the outcome, but quantitative data refute this assumption: analysis of shipping records shows that over the course of the blockade, only one in six merchant ships attempting to enter or leave Crinican ports were actually captured by Ulmia.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the historian’s interpretation of the data?

Blockade of a port means ships are not allowed to enter or leave. We are given that merchant ships were not allowed to enter or leave and it is believed that this forced Crinica to resolve the dispute (whatever it was) in favour of Ulmia.  

But the historian claims that only 1 in 6 merchant ships were captured. So the blockade had only a 16% impact (and hence may not have been the reason that forced Crinica to give in)

We need to weaken the historian's conclusion (that blackade was not the reason) so we have to show that the blockade could have put pressure on Crinica to resolve the issue in Ulmia's favour. 

Whether Crinica had means or did not have, doesn't matter. We know that 1 in 6 merchant ships were captured and hence the impact of the blockade was limited. No reason to say that the. histroian may be wrong. 

We are talking about merchant ships. Whether those merchants were Crinica's residents or others, doesn't matter. Who the ships belonged to, we don't care. 

What proportion of Crinica's trade was with Ulmia before the blockade, doesn't matter. In fact, we don't know and don't care how much was it during the blockade too. We don't know what the dispute was. All we know is that Ulmia was blocking Crinica's merchant ships. Where were those ships headed, we don't care. 

This doesn't weaken the historian's conclusion. In fact, it supports it in a way. If trade was not significantly affected, then Crinica would not have been under pressure to give in due to the blockade. Hence it makes sense that the blockade would not have been the reason for the outcome.

If this is true, then the historian's logic doesn't make sense. Over the course of the blockade, on average only 1 in 6 ships were captured but what if the frequency of capture increased over time. 

e.g. in the 1st year, only 1% ships were captured. 
In the second year, only 4% were captured. 
In the third year, only 10% were captured.
In the last year, the percentage kept increasing till EVERY ship was captured as the 4th year came to an end. This put pressure on Crinica and hence Crinica gave in. 
This could have given us an overall 16% ships captured over the 4 years, a number that doesn't seem to be huge but the pressure was much lower in the initial years and increased substantially in the later stages. 

Answer (E)
­

­

No deeper meaning in it. I misread it as Crinica’s trade was mostly unaffected.

As given, option (D) becomes simply irrelevant.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts