GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Feb 2020, 06:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HKUST MSc.Investment Management or LBS Masters in Management

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
HKUST MSc.Investment Management or LBS Masters in Management  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2014, 01:24
Hey guys! I hope you are all okay. I need your opinions on which school and program to choose!
Thank you all in advance!

Now I am a senior student in BSc. Industrial Engineering program at the best university in Turkey and I expect to graduate in June, 2014. Also, I am a part-time analyst at a global Private Equity firm. I have a summer internship experiences at an M&A house and at one of Big Four's audit department. I discovered that fund management (venture capital, hedge fund, private equity) is a topic of deep interest for me. And in future I want to be a thoroughly competent professional in fund management.
I believe living in one of Financial centers of the world (Specifically: London, New York or Hong Kong) will help me reach my full potential. This is my main reason for applying for an MSc. degree now rather than an MBA later in my career. I want to increase my chances to find a job abroad in financial markets at this point of my career by studying at a top university abroad.

Thus, considering these two factors, I have applied for Master's degree programs at top schools and I am having a difficult time choosing one among them. My shortlist among the other offers I have received is,
- London Business School - Masters in Management
- Warwick Business School - MSc. Business (Finance&Accounting)
- Hong Kong UST Business School - MSc. Investment Management

Although Warwick has a high reputation, the program is not pure Finance and it is not located in a financial center. Hence, currently I am in between London Business School and Hong Kong UST. To be honest, London Business School's reputation is more appealing to me rather than the program it offers. Although I can choose 2 finance electives, it is still a Management degree. And also, since the market is calm in Europe, my chances in staying in London seem low. On the other hand, with the increasing market size in Asia, Hong Kong may offer me a lot more than London and also the program HKUST offers is pure finance. Both programs last one year but HKUST provides an optional summer internship period which I believe is a really important factor. Thus, I am more inclined to accept HKUST's offer these days.

Am I thinking in a wrong way ? Should I just accept LBS' or Warwick's offer because they have a higher reputation than HKUST ? And also how would a person with a Investment Management degree from HKUST stand compared to a Management degree from LBS in an employer's perspective ? What are my chances in staying in Hong Kong or London after the completion of my degree? And also, lets say I chose HKUST, what are my chances in moving to London or New York just after the completion of my degree ?

It turned out to be a long post, which I tried to avoid actually :) but I wanted to explain everything in my mind. I hope you would find time to read it and reply me back.
Intern
Intern
Re: HKUST MSc.Investment Management or LBS Masters in Management  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2014, 14:43
Guys, I really need your help.
Lately I have been hearing that in Hong Kong knowing local language is strongly preferable in entry level jobs. Is this true ?
Intern
Intern
Re: HKUST MSc.Investment Management or LBS Masters in Management  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2014, 06:12
I can't offer a perspective on UK. But as for HK, HKUST is the best finance university in the country. However, you definitely need to be able to speak Mandarin AT A FLUENT LEVEL if you are looking for most jobs in HK (Cantonese also preferred but not essential) unless you are looking to go into a trading job.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HKUST MSc.Investment Management or LBS Masters in Management   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2014, 06:12

HKUST MSc.Investment Management or LBS Masters in Management

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste