Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2209 [3]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: Houston comprises a square mileage about four times as large as [#permalink]
Abhi077 wrote:
Houston comprises a square mileage about four times as large as New York City but only two million in population, where many are suburban residents living well outside the area generally considered the city center.

A. about four times as large as New York City but only two million in population, where many

B. of about four times the large size of New York City is, but in Houston there is a population of only two million, and many

C. that is about four times the large size as New York City's square mileage, but in Houston with a population of only two million people, many of them

D. quadruple to the size of New York City, but only two million in population, and many

E. quadruple that of New York City but a population of only two million, many of whom

Source - Ready4Gmat

I had got the right answer , but seeing the discussion , let me post my POE. Request to have a look if my thinking is in the right direction :

A :"but only two million in population" : It means that Houston's square mileage contains two million in population

B: Unnecessarily very wordy , but conveys the right sense . I keep it.

C: Changes the meaning of the sentence because the sentence compares the New York city area to the square mileage

D: "and many" does not make much sense cause it goes back to describe Houston's square mileage . [Since connected by comma, describe the main clause]

Have a look experts and let me know if my thinking is in the correct direction or need to brush up any topic.
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2209 [1]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Houston comprises a square mileage about four times as large as [#permalink]
Kudos
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Though we know what this sentence is trying to say, it's clunky, so we should be looking for a better way to say it in our answer choices. Setting aside (A) for now, we'll start with (B): perhaps the most obvious problem is the repetition of "Houston" because we wouldn't be confused about which city we're comparing to New York City, and (C) has the same problem.

Choice (D)'s structure makes it unclear whether the "two million in population" is that of Houston or New York City, so that won't work.

Choice (E) avoids all of those problems and uses a shorter, clearer version of "about four times as large as": "quadruple that of."

The correct answer is Choice (E).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts