GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How accurate are the Kaplan practice tests?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
How accurate are the Kaplan practice tests?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2020, 10:27
So for the 5 practice exams I've done via the Kaplan online resources, I have scored respectively: 540, 520, 480, 590, 540.

I write my GMAT exam next week Wednesday and need a minimum score of 550.

Should I be fine for the exam with these scores or do I need to put in a lot more work?

What are the best ways to attack the next few days before my exam?
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: How accurate are the Kaplan practice tests?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2020, 11:26
Hi JustinChampy21,

Have you taken any official GMAC practice exams?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2020, 13:21
Hi JustinChampy21,

The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC - but thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion).

There are a variety of factors that can impact how you perform on a practice Exam, including the type of Exam, the time of day that you take it, how well-rested you are, the number of little mistakes (or lucky guesses) you make, etc. If you took these CATs in a way that matches up with what you will face when you take the Official GMAT, then the results show that you likely have the knowledge/ability to hit your Goal Score on Test Day. It's worth noting that to hit 550+ on Test Day, you do NOT need to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird (so you can afford to 'dump' those questions), but you have to keep the little mistakes to a minimum (especially on the 'gettable' questions).

Since you're less than a week from taking your Official GMAT, you have to be careful about trying to do too much studying. In these last few days, you should limit your studies to general practice and light review (NO CATs and NO 'cramming') - you would be better served by getting some extra rest so that you can go into Test Day calm, clear-headed and ready to work.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2020, 23:20
JustinChampy21 - The official GMAT Prep CATs would provide the best estimation. Even though it has tweaked the scoring algorithm, Kaplan historically provides a lower score compared with actual GMAT. Hence, at this point, a GMAT Prep CAT would provide you the best measure of your performance. More importantly, what type of questions are you're getting incorrect? The 3 digit score is not the best measure of your improvement.

New to GMAT Club? Start with the study plan!
Should I retake GMAT? Retaking GMAT Strategies!

What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 02:26
JustinChampy21 wrote:
So for the 5 practice exams I've done via the Kaplan online resources, I have scored respectively: 540, 520, 480, 590, 540.

I write my GMAT exam next week Wednesday and need a minimum score of 550.

Should I be fine for the exam with these scores or do I need to put in a lot more work?

What are the best ways to attack the next few days before my exam?

Have you given any official practice exams? Two come free and you can buy 4 more.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How accurate are the Kaplan practice tests?   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2020, 02:26

How accurate are the Kaplan practice tests?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k