It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 11:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How are we doing? - complaints most welcome

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 708 [0], given: 1

Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 08:56
Audio wrote:
Great stuff, great work.

My only remark is the one that I made a while ago: the kudos system. Some people will give kudos differently than other people. Can that be sorted out? Could a team (say the mods) distribute the kudos? Therefore we would have a more structured approach. Maybe these mods could give 1, 2 or 3 kudos in function of the quality of the post (3 kudos would be fore exceptional comments).

I realize that there are advantages and disadvantages to this method, but what do people think about it?

I now remember that I noticed one user was giving kudos to him/herself .... I sent the person a PM asking him/her not to do so ... never saw the person on board after that .... this was about a month ago I believe ....

I thought that a person is not allowed to award kudos to oneself !! Is this a bug ?

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 708 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 4

Schools: Oxford

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 09:04
This is the great community; the spirit there’s like nowhere else. Huge thanks to the team!

I have only one question/suggestion about forum visibility. I understand the reason why some of the forums are not visible until you log in. However, there is a particular case – I mean the forum ‘The B-School Application – Asia, Australia and Europe’ – where I really don’t understand why it is invisible to guests. I remember that it took some time for me to realize that such a forum exist here.

Would not it be more logical to make it visible to all, just as it is the case with its bigger counterpart ‘The B-School Application’? What is the Admins opinion on it?

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 919 [1], given: 781

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
Leverandon wrote:
I actually really like this community. I'm also a member of lawschooldiscussion.org which has a similar format for law school and it is pervaded by a general sense of elitism and douchebaggery. This site is so much more welcoming. Good work at creating an inviting atmosphere and keep it up!

thanks. :)

Quote:
Great stuff, great work.

My only remark is the one that I made a while ago: the kudos system. Some people will give kudos differently than other people. Can that be sorted out? Could a team (say the mods) distribute the kudos? Therefore we would have a more structured approach. Maybe these mods could give 1, 2 or 3 kudos in function of the quality of the post (3 kudos would be fore exceptional comments).

I realize that there are advantages and disadvantages to this method, but what do people think about it?

makes sense to me. Unless anyone else has an issue with it, we don't see a problem here. I will ask tino to look into this.

Quote:
This is the great community; the spirit there’s like nowhere else. Huge thanks to the team!

I have only one question/suggestion about forum visibility. I understand the reason why some of the forums are not visible until you log in. However, there is a particular case – I mean the forum ‘The B-School Application – Asia, Australia and Europe’ – where I really don’t understand why it is invisible to guests. I remember that it took some time for me to realize that such a forum exist here.

Would not it be more logical to make it visible to all, just as it is the case with its bigger counterpart ‘The B-School Application’? What is the Admins opinion on it?

thanks. I hope the problem is fixed now. :)

Kudos [?]: 919 [1], given: 781

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 16

Schools: Duke 2012

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 10:29
I'm not really sure why people care about Kudos so much, but it doesn't make sense to me to have them given out by moderators only.

The whole point of Kudos is to let someone know that you posted something that was beneficial to me. How can a mod decide for everyone what was beneficial? Something may have really helped me and no one else.

Certainly you shouldn't be able to give them to yourself though, that always seemed weird to me. I always thought maybe it would just stop you once you tried to do it, but apparently not.

Is there some value to having a high number of kudos that I am missing? Is there a reason to be concerned? If so, maybe I should start giving them to myself :-D .

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 16

5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [5], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 19:19
This post received
KUDOS
I'm not getting any kudos. :(

Kudos [?]: 6 [5], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 21:09
fall09 wrote:
I'm not getting any kudos. :(

What a cheap, whining post to get some kudos! :-D

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2008, 05:41
This place is awesome. Instead of a bunch of random people, you get a core of people who keep coming back and contributing quality posts.

The fact we've got a bunch of matriculating MBA students is even better. It helps settle down some of the people being driven crazy by the app process. :wink:

RF

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 408 [1], given: 14

Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2008, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
very glad to hear the great comments here!

River, I don't know how you can still keep up with all the posts all the time. I guess Kellogg really isn't that academically rigorous, eh? :wink:

Anyway, just swamped with school stuff, but still trying to skim some topics here and answer questions in the Haas sections. The only thing I have is that mods can only give +1 kudos now and cannot give more or take any away, is that intentional?

Other than that, I think there's a LOT more posts this year than last. I do strongly encourage this year's class to organize some useful links and discussions and add them to the Knowledge Vault. Each class here on GMATClub will create something that works for them and maintain it, but then we pass it on to the next class so they can get the most use out of them and shape it for themselves. The Knowledge Vault, Member Profiles, "who got in or who didn't" threads are there for that reason. :)

Good luck to you all, and keep up the good work, Praetorian and tino!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Kudos [?]: 408 [1], given: 14

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 4

Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 14:40
1) I'd like to have a spell check function when I am writing a post or a pm.

2) We used to be able to search within a topic for keywords (e.g. "GMAT" or "interview"). That functionality appears to have gone away with the system upgrade.

3) Somewhat similar to #2, I'd like to be able to search within a topic for a particular users post.

That said - I love this place!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 2

Schools: Tepper '11

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 15:20
I never understood the difference between the "GMAT" forum and the "GMAT Experience" forum, especially since the Experience forum is so inactive. They could be merged, IMHO

I only check 2 forums 95% of the time, GMAT Experience and the Applications forum

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 2

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 919 [0], given: 781

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 15:30
ryguy904 wrote:

2) We used to be able to search within a topic for keywords (e.g. "GMAT" or "interview"). That functionality appears to have gone away with the system upgrade.

3) Somewhat similar to #2, I'd like to be able to search within a topic for a particular users post.

OK - this will be added to our queue. more ideas - we need to hear from everyone!.

CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 15:48
Tarmac wrote:
I never understood the difference between the "GMAT" forum and the "GMAT Experience" forum, especially since the Experience forum is so inactive. They could be merged, IMHO

I only check 2 forums 95% of the time, GMAT Experience and the Applications forum

GMAT - for gmat strategy. We did merge the two forums, but then the GMAT forum became inactive. So we switched back. We should pay a lot more attention to the gmat section.

*advertisement for the club* share what you know, help others and be nice. *advertisement for the club*

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 17:39
Hey is there a function where I can find the post with the most kudos? That would be very helpful. Just the other day I started reading a post "Calling all .... applications" to a school I was not applying to, and I saw this great post on writing essays in general. I only wished I had read it earlier. Maybe if we have something where we can search for the post with the highest kudos, it will be easier for people to find such gems?

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 17:43
riverripper wrote:
Something we did well last year that was really helpful was keep track of who was applying to each school and their status. We just would start a roll call seeing who applied...you copy the people and then add your name and it built up. That was then put on the front page to keep track. When people got interviews and posted them the front was updated...then repeat that for decisions.

We also kept decisions of all schools in one thread. So you could see how many people applied and what their decisions were to tons of schools at once. Plus you got to see names of people in at every school they applied like nervousgmat.

I really like this idea. Since we're getting to that point in time, a "one-stop-shop" thread that makes it easy to see that where members and schools are in the application process.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 17:45
BSchoolorBust wrote:
Hey is there a function where I can find the post with the most kudos? That would be very helpful. Just the other day I started reading a post "Calling all .... applications" to a school I was not applying to, and I saw this great post on writing essays in general. I only wished I had read it earlier. Maybe if we have something where we can search for the post with the highest kudos, it will be easier for people to find such gems?

CEO
CEO

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 17:46
cpgmba wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Something we did well last year that was really helpful was keep track of who was applying to each school and their status. We just would start a roll call seeing who applied...you copy the people and then add your name and it built up. That was then put on the front page to keep track. When people got interviews and posted them the front was updated...then repeat that for decisions.

We also kept decisions of all schools in one thread. So you could see how many people applied and what their decisions were to tons of schools at once. Plus you got to see names of people in at every school they applied like nervousgmat.

I really like this idea. Since we're getting to that point in time, a "one-stop-shop" thread that makes it easy to see that where members and schools are in the application process.

sure, go ahead and start a thread. :)

CIO
CIO

Kudos [?]: 979 [0], given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 09:40
Is this not available through the "Search for:______" box in the bottom of the forum page? Tell me if I'm missing something.

Thanks.
ryguy904 wrote:

Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Kudos [?]: 979 [0], given: 334

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Schools: Harvard '11

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 10:01
Why have your colors changed? (you = red, rhyme = blue, etc.) What do the new colors mean?

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Current Student

Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 10:05
dzyubam wrote:
Is this not available through the "Search for:______" box in the bottom of the forum page? Tell me if I'm missing something.

Thanks.
ryguy904 wrote:

Ah, it is still around !!! It used to be at the top of the thread. Thanks so much!

Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2008, 10:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

How are we doing? - complaints most welcome

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap