Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 17:34 It is currently 02 May 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q86 V86 DI85
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30844 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q86 V86 DI85
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1307 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
How bad is the scoring of Magoosh mock tests? [#permalink]
You've taken an Official Focus mock. Might be worth comparing how people performed on their Official Focus mocks with their actual FE results. You could also see how many questions people are getting correct/incorrect for different performances.

e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Re: How bad is the scoring of Magoosh mock tests? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Marcof11 - I agree that you probably deserve a higher score. Having said that, can you provide me with the following:

1. what is your accuracy for Very Hard questions on Magoosh's mock?
2. How many difficulty levels does Magoosh mock have?

-Rajat
Intern
Intern
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q86 V86 DI85
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Marcof11 - I agree that you probably deserve a higher score. Having said that, can you provide me with the following:

1. what is your accuracy for Very Hard questions on Magoosh's mock?
2. How many difficulty levels does Magoosh mock have?

-Rajat

Hi!

1. 25%, which is actually very low. However, I noticed something that might explain the issue. After getting wrong a "Very hard" question, I often get 3/4 easy or medium questions in a row. Basically, as soon as you make a mistake, the CAT algorithm considers you an idiot :lol:

2. It has 4 difficulty levels (easy, medium, hard, and very hard).

PS: Reviewing the last test, I found an old test I took on Magoosh. I scored 620 while getting 700-730 on all the other tests. So I think they might provide a slightly lower score than GMATPrep.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65046 [1]
Given Kudos: 430
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Marcof11 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I have a small doubt about the Magoosh GMAT Focus mock.

To give you context:
I already took the GMAT 2 years ago for my Master of Science - I scored 710 - 91st percentile (with 3 consecutive 730s on Official mocks) - and I'm now preparing it again for MBAs.
I tried an official mock before restarting my preparation, to understand whether I lost my edge. I scored 645 - 89th percentile (Q81, V85, D79). Decent enough.

Now: I just completed a GMAT Focus mock from Magoosh.
I scored 605 - 72nd percentile (Q80, V79, D83), missing only questions classified as "Very hard"...
I know that GMATPrep mocks are the only reliable ones in terms of scoring but... how bad is Magoosh at that?

I'm just trying to understand if I should just completely ignore this number and go on or if I should waste time to understand what went bad during the test, since this was the first one I took after (re)starting my preparation.

Thank you in advance :)

Ignore the number but focus on the analysis. Learn from your mistakes, identify the weak areas and work on them. As for Verbal, no test prep can match up to the quality of the official questions so don't worry about that.
Test prep mocks are good for identifying your weaknesses. As for the score difference, you could have seen the same or even higher with an official mock too. Too many variables play a role in the final score. Ignore it.
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi!

1. 25%, which is actually very low. However, I noticed something that might explain the issue. After getting wrong a "Very hard" question, I often get 3/4 easy or medium questions in a row. Basically, as soon as you make a mistake, the CAT algorithm considers you an idiot :lol:

2. It has 4 difficulty levels (easy, medium, hard, and very hard).

PS: Reviewing the last test, I found an old test I took on Magoosh. I scored 620 while getting 700-730 on all the other tests. So I think they might provide a slightly lower score than GMATPrep.

While I am not privy to Magoosh's algorithm, going from Very Hard to Easy does not seem right. That is a recalibration mode, unless they are using a block-based question selection algorithm (sorry about the technical jargon) or unless their algorithm defaults to lower difficulty levels if they run out of hard questions (another possibility). Ask Magoosh folks the same and they would be able to justify why their algo behaved this way.

-Rajat
GMAT Club Bot