GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 10:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 04:23
I recently sat the GMAT.

I know that you get a penalty if you leave any questions unanswered but my situation is slightly different than the typical case.

On the last question (37th) of the Quant section, I marked my answer selection as "C" but the timer ran out before I could click on the "Next" button and "confirm my answer".
Does this mean that I will get a penalty for not completing the section, or will the test consider my selection of "C" as the answer choice?

If it does indeed become a penalty, will the Official / Enhanced Score Report mention this? Will schools that I send my score to know that my score reflects a penalty?

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
Hi tanaybhimrajka ,

As far as I know selecting an option before attempting it is a good idea because even if you don't hit submit, GMAT will still consider that answer as marked.

But if you don't mark it and the time finishes, its considered unanswered.

Here is a very old thread on the same discussion.

Also, the penalty is just by giving you negative marking. It is neither mentioned on your score card nor sent to any school. Say you were getting a 800 but since you didn't attempt the last question, you may end up with 780. :)

Good Luck :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

New --> How ApplicantLab made me reach my 10 years long MBA dream?

Intern
Intern
Re: How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 04:46
abhimahna wrote:
Hi,

As far as I know selecting an option before attempting it is a good idea because even if you don't hit submit, GMAT will still consider that answer as marked.

Also, the penalty is just by giving you negative marking. It is neither mentioned on your score card nor sent to any school. Say you were getting a 800 but since you didn't attempt the last question, you may end up with 780. :)

Hi abhimahna,

Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful.

Any idea what the penalty would be for not answering one question? I have read somewhere that the penalty increases heavily with each additional unanswered question.

That way, I can get a crude estimate of what I would have scored had I answered that question.

Thanks!
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 04:54
tanaybhimrajka wrote:
Hi abhimahna,

Any idea what the penalty would be for not answering one question? I have read somewhere that the penalty increases heavily with each additional unanswered question.

That way, I can get a crude estimate of what I would have scored had I answered that question.

Thanks!

That's a very good question, answer to which has NEVER been disclosed by GMAC over the years.

Let me also know if you find one. ;)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

New --> How ApplicantLab made me reach my 10 years long MBA dream?

Manager
Manager
S
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 05:22
tanaybhimrajka wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
Hi,

Hi abhimahna,

Thanks!

If you had clicked on an option but didn't select next, GMAT will consider that you have answered. There are many discussions in this forum on that topic. So do not put yourself to strain by doing all these calculations.

In case you need to know how this calculation is done, you need to do a lot of research with the GMATprep software. And it would be a really long exercise.
How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section?   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2017, 05:22

How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap