GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Feb 2019, 05:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     February 20, 2019

     February 20, 2019

     08:00 PM EST

     09:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. Wednesday, February 20th at 8 PM EST
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

     February 21, 2019

     February 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.

How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 2
How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 03:23
I recently sat the GMAT.

I know that you get a penalty if you leave any questions unanswered but my situation is slightly different than the typical case.

On the last question (37th) of the Quant section, I marked my answer selection as "C" but the timer ran out before I could click on the "Next" button and "confirm my answer".
Does this mean that I will get a penalty for not completing the section, or will the test consider my selection of "C" as the answer choice?

If it does indeed become a penalty, will the Official / Enhanced Score Report mention this? Will schools that I send my score to know that my score reflects a penalty?

Thanks
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3631
Premium Member Reviews Badge
How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 03:37
1
Hi tanaybhimrajka ,

As far as I know selecting an option before attempting it is a good idea because even if you don't hit submit, GMAT will still consider that answer as marked.

But if you don't mark it and the time finishes, its considered unanswered.

Here is a very old thread on the same discussion.

Also, the penalty is just by giving you negative marking. It is neither mentioned on your score card nor sent to any school. Say you were getting a 800 but since you didn't attempt the last question, you may end up with 780. :)

Good Luck :)
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Re: How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 03:46
abhimahna wrote:
Hi,

As far as I know selecting an option before attempting it is a good idea because even if you don't hit submit, GMAT will still consider that answer as marked.

But if you don't mark it and the time finishes, its considered unanswered.

Here is a very old thread on the same discussion.

Also, the penalty is just by giving you negative marking. It is neither mentioned on your score card nor sent to any school. Say you were getting a 800 but since you didn't attempt the last question, you may end up with 780. :)

Good Luck :)


Hi abhimahna,

Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful.

Any idea what the penalty would be for not answering one question? I have read somewhere that the penalty increases heavily with each additional unanswered question.

That way, I can get a crude estimate of what I would have scored had I answered that question.

Thanks!
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3631
Premium Member Reviews Badge
How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 03:54
tanaybhimrajka wrote:
Hi abhimahna,

Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful.

Any idea what the penalty would be for not answering one question? I have read somewhere that the penalty increases heavily with each additional unanswered question.

That way, I can get a crude estimate of what I would have scored had I answered that question.

Thanks!


That's a very good question, answer to which has NEVER been disclosed by GMAC over the years.

Let me also know if you find one. ;)
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Jul 2017
Posts: 118
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 04:22
tanaybhimrajka wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
Hi,

As far as I know selecting an option before attempting it is a good idea because even if you don't hit submit, GMAT will still consider that answer as marked.

But if you don't mark it and the time finishes, its considered unanswered.

Here is a very old thread on the same discussion.

Also, the penalty is just by giving you negative marking. It is neither mentioned on your score card nor sent to any school. Say you were getting a 800 but since you didn't attempt the last question, you may end up with 780. :)

Good Luck :)


Hi abhimahna,

Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful.

Any idea what the penalty would be for not answering one question? I have read somewhere that the penalty increases heavily with each additional unanswered question.

That way, I can get a crude estimate of what I would have scored had I answered that question.

Thanks!


If you had clicked on an option but didn't select next, GMAT will consider that you have answered. There are many discussions in this forum on that topic. So do not put yourself to strain by doing all these calculations.

In case you need to know how this calculation is done, you need to do a lot of research with the GMATprep software. And it would be a really long exercise.
GMAT Club Bot
How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section?   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2017, 04:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How can I check if I received a penalty for not completing a section?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.