GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 12:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How Do Adcoms View Career Changers Moving To a More Junior Role?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
How Do Adcoms View Career Changers Moving To a More Junior Role?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 04:12
Hi, quick question. If I have 5-6 years of experience in Corp Dev/FP&A and have done very well and reached a relatively senior role (mid-level management), but am interested in transitioning to investment banking, how would adcoms view a "downgrade" in position in order to start in a new industry - i.e., a six-month internship at a BB investment bank (think GS, MS)? This internship would be before starting the MBA (but would not be a traditional "pre-MBA internship" in the sense of one completed in the summer immediately before an MBA program). Could this harm my chances of admission by placing me in a different "bucket" together with people who have made more progress in that particular industry, or, on the flip side, could it potentially improve them by showing adcoms I am serious about my post-MBA goals, strengthen the rationale for obtaining an MBA, and add a brand name to my resume? Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: How Do Adcoms View Career Changers Moving To a More Junior Role?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 06:13
SPAIN6 wrote:
Hi, quick question. If I have 5-6 years of experience in Corp Dev/FP&A and have done very well and reached a relatively senior role (mid-level management), but am interested in transitioning to investment banking, how would adcoms view a "downgrade" in position in order to start in a new industry - i.e., a six-month internship at a BB investment bank (think GS, MS)? This internship would be before starting the MBA (but would not be a traditional "pre-MBA internship" in the sense of one completed in the summer immediately before an MBA program). Could this harm my chances of admission by placing me in a different "bucket" together with people who have made more progress in that particular industry, or, on the flip side, could it potentially improve them by showing adcoms I am serious about my post-MBA goals, strengthen the rationale for obtaining an MBA, and add a brand name to my resume? Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Hi SPAIN6,
1) The answer DEPENDS on
a) the role transitioned to, the achievements there (in the 6 months), and such other "accomplishments".
b) how you explain the transition (It can be done in an optional essay), but extremely important that the Ad Com NOT perceive the change as an excuse for a forced exit/ transition.

2) Very important for you to "link" your current expertise with the past role & scope of the transitioned role.

Hope that helps..

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

Intern
Intern
Re: How Do Adcoms View Career Changers Moving To a More Junior Role?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 08:35
Thanks a lot for your reply. Very insightful.

Does anyone else want to contribute their point of view?
ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 08:49
Hi SPAIN6,

I agree with the previous answer. It depends on how you explain this career move.

Typically, b-schools look for candidates that are at their peak of their careers. This career move could raise a flag, and you would definitely have to explain it in detail (in the Optional Essay or elsewhere).

If possible, I would recommend you to apply to b-school first while you are at your current position. Use the application to explain your IB career goals. Then share your intention to take on an internship in IB pre-MBA so that you're better prepared for a full transition into IB post-MBA.

I hope this helps.

Feel free to reach out to me directly for a more detailed discussion.

Good luck!
Alex

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +52 1 55 2702 0059
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: http://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Please, email us your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 09:28
SPAIN6 wrote:

I have a client who did this-- they left a secure position and did an internship prior to MBA to build stronger finance expertise. For them, it did work as they were offered a spot at several top programs and with a lot of money too. So it can work-- but it does need to be positioned as "going to" and not "running from" as in... I was forced out or fired from job and now doing x.
But more-- my post MBA goal is X-- and I wanted to do this internship prior to MBA to help me be more competitive post MBA. Now another option-- which many also do-- is to apply R1 and get in by November. And then just set up your internship to go from Jan-June after you have the deposit in and then you don't have to explain it at all to adcom.
If you do want to discuss strategies on how to handle your case-- or get help through the MBA admissions process- please reach out to us at this link for a free consult:
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | Stratus Admissions | Schedule a Free Consult

Intern
Intern
How Do Adcoms View Career Changers Moving To a More Junior Role?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 02:55
Thanks a lot to you all for your interesting input! Much appreciated.

StratusMBACounselor. I am curious to know whether any of the top schools the person you are referencing got into were Harvard, Stanford, or Wharton? Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
How Do Adcoms View Career Changers Moving To a More Junior Role? &nbs [#permalink] 31 Mar 2018, 02:55

How Do Adcoms View Career Changers Moving To a More Junior Role?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap