It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do you study unknown words?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

How do you study unknown words? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2009, 03:48
Hi,

I've just started my preparation to GMAT and this is obvious that I will need to extent my dictionary.

Could you share the ways you study new and unknown words?
Experience of non-native speakers would be even more valuable.

Thanks

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Re: How do you study unknown words? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2009, 06:07
the only way would be lots and lots of practice.

you can also buy some books on the MOST COMMON words plenty of them on amazon for you to read about and their reviews etc.

you could also read a lot of business orientated things eg financial times, business week etc to get more business vocab.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2009, 06:21
I would think most vocabulary needs to be built up over a long time of reading things like The Economist, and other high end writings.

Although there are books out there by dictionary makers such as Merriam Websters that make books to build vocabulary. I think these books are aimed at SAT exams..

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2009, 23:55
Lots of practical usage of language is essential to grow the vocabulary. This is long term strategy.

My question is focused on short term strategy and I look for your hints.
During the preparation to GMAT you might meet unknown words which lead to misunderstanding of passage and wrong answer as result.

Do you collect such words to review them letter on? Do you use cards or two-column dictionary or something else?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2009, 01:26
daisywheel wrote:
Lots of practical usage of language is essential to grow the vocabulary. This is long term strategy.

During the preparation to GMAT you might meet unknown words which lead to misunderstanding of passage and wrong answer as result.

Do you collect such words to review them letter on? Do you use cards or two-column dictionary or something else?

like i said. read high level texts such as financial times, new scientist, time etc so you can improve your vocab quickly. you can also buy some books that contain the most common terms, phrases and idioms. watch movies cartoons etc and remember the words .

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2009, 17:05
daisywheel wrote:

If you're discovering a LOT of new words each time you do a verbal set, you might want to get an SAT prep book from a library or bookstore. They should have words that commonly appear on the SAT, and in many cases, on the GMAT/GRE. You can then review those via flashcards.

If you're discovering new words in the RC sections, and they're highly technical or context-specific, just make a list of those words. Review them using flashcards shortly after your prep session. There shouldn't be too many of these though...

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Re: How do you study unknown words?   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2009, 17:05

How do you study unknown words?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap