Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: How do you study unknown words? [#permalink]
Lots of practical usage of language is essential to grow the vocabulary. This is long term strategy.

My question is focused on short term strategy and I look for your hints.
During the preparation to GMAT you might meet unknown words which lead to misunderstanding of passage and wrong answer as result.

Do you collect such words to review them letter on? Do you use cards or two-column dictionary or something else?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
daisywheel wrote:
Lots of practical usage of language is essential to grow the vocabulary. This is long term strategy.

During the preparation to GMAT you might meet unknown words which lead to misunderstanding of passage and wrong answer as result.

Do you collect such words to review them letter on? Do you use cards or two-column dictionary or something else?

like i said. read high level texts such as financial times, new scientist, time etc so you can improve your vocab quickly. you can also buy some books that contain the most common terms, phrases and idioms. watch movies cartoons etc and remember the words .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
daisywheel wrote:

If you're discovering a LOT of new words each time you do a verbal set, you might want to get an SAT prep book from a library or bookstore. They should have words that commonly appear on the SAT, and in many cases, on the GMAT/GRE. You can then review those via flashcards.

If you're discovering new words in the RC sections, and they're highly technical or context-specific, just make a list of those words. Review them using flashcards shortly after your prep session. There shouldn't be too many of these though...
GMAT Club Bot