Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 05:43 It is currently 13 May 2024, 05:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Status:Your greatest achievement lies in overcoming your biggest weakness.
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.8
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1462 [0]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: How Good is a 740 Score - Q50, V40, IR 6 & AWA 4.5 - for Columbia? [#permalink]
Kudos
harvey1992 wrote:
Hi!!

I recently gave my GMAT and scored a 740 (Q50, V40, IR 6 & AWA 4.5). I'm an Indian Male IIT Engineer with Work Ex in a leading CPG Multinational. I'm planning to apply to Columbia (Most preferred), Kellogg, Tuck & Darden and am concerned about my AWA score. Would an AWA score of 4.5 negatively impact my chances at these schools? Should I explain this in the optional essay?

I also feel my lowish 97%ile 740 score wouldn't be adequate for these schools. Am I being too overly pessimistic?

I know no sleep the previous night was a factor as I consistently scored a 760, 770 on my official Mocks.

- Harvey :? :? :(

I had an AWA of 4 and got into Columbia. My GMAT was 760 though.
However, I believe you're set in terms of the score. I'd suggest you concentrate on the other parts of the application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Re: How Good is a 740 Score - Q50, V40, IR 6 & AWA 4.5 - for Columbia? [#permalink]
Agreeing with others, score is only one part. 740 is about par for the course at CBS as of the last stats, but I would work on the rest of your application to make sure it's just as strong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
The GMAT is only one small part of the application and it is actually only cost of entry. It can keep you out, but it won't get you in. 740 is above average for Columbia (and no need to worry about your AWA).

I would highly advise you to focus on the rest of your application. Unfortunately you are part of an overrepresented demographic (Indian engineers) which means that you are competing against many candidates with similar profiles. Thus focus your attention on standing out! CPG experience is already a distinguishing factor. Three things (among others) on which to focus:

1) What makes you you? Think about your profile. What do you enjoy doing? What do you do in your spare time? How do you define yourself? As part of an overrepresented demographic you will need to make your case for entry by showing how you are different from others with similar backgrounds. As long as your GMAT is above average, an increase in score will make little - if any - difference.

2) Think about your goals and how they link to your past.

3) Think about fit and WHY you want to go to these schools. The programs you chose are VERY focused on ensuring you will fit into their culture. Each has a very distinct personality - but they all want to know you want to attend their school. Spend time attending online webinars, going to alumnae events, and talking to current students. The more you know about the schools, the better you will be able to demonstrate your fit. (The schools you picked are very different from one another).

Scores will only take you so far. Get some sleep :-) - and focus on developing your overall strategy / getting to know the schools better.

If you want to chat more, feel free to email me at pamela@jaffeadvantage.com.

Pamela

p.s. In addition to being an MBA Admissions Counselor I am a CBS alumna. The unique thing about CBS is that it was almost every attendee's first choice. The AdCom is very good at determining who will be a good fit at Columbia (as seen by their essay questions).
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 586 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Harvey,

I have seen Indian applicants with CPG grounds doing very well for themselves at the top business schools. Put together really strong applications and you will be good. A 740 is a good score and at this point other elements of your application will begin to matter. However, here's a crazy suggestion- if you are confident of a 760-770 score, then give it another shot. If it seems impossible, then you are still in decent shape.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73171 [0]
Given Kudos: 18948
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived CBS Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our CBS Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated CBS Forum for all fresh things related to the CBS MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts