It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 14:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How i could score almost same as what i was getting in GMAT Prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
How i could score almost same as what i was getting in GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 11:56
I gave my GMAT on 7th September 2014 and scored a 700 ( IR 8, Q49, V 35 and AWA scores are awaited).

The score is not bad considering in the mock GMAT prep which i took last year before i had even started the preparation, i had got around 550.

About myself : I am an Indian male, aged 30, have work experience of more than 7 years in Retail banking division of a foreign US based bank in India. I already have an MBA from an Indian top 25 b-school ( CAT percentile in 2004 was 94 percentile). Prior to that, I have an engg degree from a state engineering college ( non IIT/ NIT etc)

I started my GMAT prep in March this year. Bought the OG and went through its diagnostic tests. Revised the basic Quant concepts. Attempted the GMAT prep 1 again and scored a 650. Started my preparation with OG 13 and OG quant Second edition. For verbal, only did OG 13. I wasn't very comfortable with the SC part but was doing well in CR and RC.

Prepared for 3-4 hours per week and that too only on weekends because of too much workload in office. Gave free Veritas and Manhattan tests apart from the GMAT preps. The test results are as below :

Veritas prep : 710
MGMAT : 680
GMAT prep 1 : 710
GMAT prep 2 : 720
GMAT prep 3 : 710
GMAT prep 4 : 710

Once i got 710 and 720 on the first three GMAT preps, i pre-poned my GMAT date from 10th September to 7th September ( Sunday) to avoid taking leave from office.

I had given my final GMAT prep test on 5th September an scores a 710. It was a decent score and i though i should be able to score around 720 in the real test.

About the test day:

My test was scheduled for 2 pm in Delhi. The test center was around 5 minutes away from my home, hence getting to the test center wasn't difficult for me. Woke up around 8 am. Thoughts of test were going through my mind. Had a healthy breakfast and tried to relax. Listened to some motivational songs like eye of the tiger on my laptop and started feeling positive about the test. Left home around 1:15 so that i can reach the center by 1:25 pm. Reached well on time. There were 2 other candidates who were giving test with me in the same center at the same time of 2 pm. Two candidates of morning session had just completed their tests and taking their unofficial scores print outs. One of them had cancelled his scores and when he told the same to the test center guy, it made me feel a bit nervous. But i had only positive things in my mind and told myself that i need to get a good score today.

The test started and AWA was easier than what i had found in prep tests. I used the Chineseburned strategy and completed the section. I had around 2-3 minutes in the end to review it once and i though it went well. Then came my favorite IR section for which i hadn't done any practice apart from the GMAT prep tests. It looked easier than what i had encountered earlier and completed it on time.

Took the first break and used it to drink water and had half an apple. i returned to my workstation when around 90 seconds were left and asked the instructor to log on to the computer to start it. the instructor typed a wrong password and windows stopped responding. The break had ended but computer wasn't working yet. Finally it came back to life, he entered the correct password but i got a message that 20 seconds have been reduced from my section time. I didnt cared much since i knew i can complete quant in 74 minutes 40 seconds as well. Initial questions were smooth till i encountered a Probability question and the topic is the one i wasn't much confident about. Still went ahead, guessed the answer to move on. Rest of the quant went smooth with not many hiccups. The section ended and i took the second break.

I used the break to visit the toilet. Also, i felt that i may have done few silly mistakes in the quant section. But finally decided not to think over it and focus on task at hand. again had some water and half apple and returned to the desk 120 seconds before the break was to end.

Verbal section started, first question being SC and it took me 3 minutes to answer it. I knew SC is not my strong point and waited for CR and RC questions. 3rd or 4th question was CR and i could answer it easily. I wasn't timing very well in this section but started to pace it better after around first 15 questions. Verbal was going ok till the time i started thinking about the test result and freaked out a bit. My mind started thinking about the core rather than the question at hand. Tried focusing on verbal questions again but again got freaked out when reached question 39 and i think i messed up the last 3 questions.

Finally i had completed my GMAT exam. few other screens asked for some details but i chose to click on next till the score appeared. It was 700.I was relieved.

I was happy with Q49 but i knew i could have scored more in verbal than 35, after all I was getting 38/39 in all gmat preps. May be verbal was tough or i couldn't do well.

Got my un-official score reports and came back home. Called my parents and told them that i have done well. Called a few friends who reassured that its a good score and i should enjoy the moment. I was happy that i got a similar result to what i was getting in preps and with the limited preparation i could do.

Preparation/ GMAT day tips :

1. Don't do any tests at least 2 days prior to the actual test. I gave my last prep 2 days before final test and i think it stressed me a bit on the exam day.
2. I read somewhere that one should not spend time in front of a computer screen a day before the real test. I didn't follow this and was not feeling comfortable looking at the screen while giving the test.
3. Do get a sound 8-9 hour sleep before the test day. I freaked out on real exam day and woke up after around 6-7 hrs and this made me a bit sleepy in the test.

Finally as everyone else says, GMAT exam is about how to keep your nerve and focus on task at hand rather than thinking about the result.

All the best!!
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE: Consulting (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: How i could score almost same as what i was getting in GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2014, 08:52
Great write-up and super consistent scores from start to finish - congrats on the 700 :)

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Re: How i could score almost same as what i was getting in GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2014, 11:03
[quote="m3equals333"]Great write-up and super consistent scores from start to finish - congrats on the 700 :)

Thanks a lot...
Re: How i could score almost same as what i was getting in GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2014, 11:03

How i could score almost same as what i was getting in GMAT Prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR JANUARY
Math Revolution - Free Free Diagnostic Quant Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
examPAL - Free Video Course A complete on-demand GMAT course
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap