Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: How long should recommendation answers be [#permalink]
Expert Reply
imdow123 wrote:
I've decided my recommenders and I'm sure they will give me good reviews but how long should their answers be?
I ask this because one of them doesn't write much. In my official performance review, he wrote very less about my work although it was all very good.
Some questions like strengths and weaknesses have word limit and I guess maximum would be better.
Other questions like - I know for Haas which asks - how does candidate show confidence with humility?
I doubt my recommender would be able to write more than 100 words on this. Would that be sufficient in such questions?
There might be other questions like these where the school asks for particular behaviour? What are they expecting? Like 500 words essay?

Most letters of recommendation are 2-4 pages long. One page recommendations are usually too short to demonstrate and highlight the significant nature of the relationship. In most cases, the recommender has to answer specific questions in the school’s online recommendation system, where each question has a defined word limit (250-500). If you feel that your recommendation will be too short, consider choosing another recommender who has more to say about you, but also keep in mind that most powerful recommendations use specific and concrete examples, which serve to explain and illustrate the recommender’s assertions. Meaning, the content is more important then the length.
For more guidelines and tips for LORs, please visit: https://aringo.com/mba-recommendation-letter-process/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hi-

Think about it this way- if your boss is addressing a "weakness question" that says "what was an important feedback that you gave to the applicant etc. etc. and how did he respond?" ( 500 words)

A recommender should easily take up more than 350 words for this( or may be touch 500). Why? Well, in the first half of the response, he will set the background for a layman( READER) who has no idea about the relationship between you and your boss. And in the second half, your boss will show how you took corrective actions, and how has he seen you improving on that weakness in the recent past.

The reader of this recommendation will not make any phone calls to you or your boss, and will NOT have any other means to complete the assessment other than that response. B-School applications are like- ONE Sided communications where the rule is- If I am not able to see the impact of an essay or a recommendation, I am not allowed to call up the writer and ask for MORE!

In this scenario, I will suggest that you use whatever space is given to you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot